unauthorized copy/posting Copyright, watermark
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Your Work on the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2018   #1
Llama

CamelKarma: 1012912
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default unauthorized copy/posting Copyright, watermark

Copyright, watermark and unauthorized copy/posting.

I was sent a message from a gentleman that is the admin for a group on facebook informing me that he thought my images were so good that he copied them into his facebook group and that he informed everyone viewing them that I was the owner and author of the images.

Now non of these images had visible copyright notices but it is buried in the exif

On the one hand I am flattered but I also feel terribly violated. I guess the reason he didn't have any images is that I want the option of where to post my work.

I have noticed that some folks place a copyright on their photos that they post and some do not. I asssume that the reasoning behind displaying or not is about a broad as the images themselves. Is there a sticky on the camel dealing with this propfessional procedure?

The same to be said for watermarks, A visual watermark destroys the quality of teh images IMHO. Looking for a sticky for this as well.

COMMENTS and similar experiences PLEASE

Old 05-12-2018   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 400323
Default Re: unauthorized copy/posting Copyright, watermark

I avoid the distractions of watermarks and copyright notices on anything posted online or elsewhere. The rare times when I post photographs online, it is to provide useful information for viewers. This is more important than any use or misuse of the images by others. Strict enforcement of copyright laws in today's electronic venues is impractical, although it might provide job security for lawyers.
Jim Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018   #3
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1091466

If you post it online, someone can steal it. If you watermark it, the watermark can be removed.

By hosting my own storage site I limit the access to my photos to only those that have a reason to see them. If I have granted them access then I have no issues with them making a copy of the photo.

Otherwise you see a hard copy of my work.

I can honestly say that there are two most remarkable men in the world today. Michio Kaku is one and I am the other one. Between us we cover all knowledge.

Kaku knows all that can be known....And I know the rest.

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today?
Today is a gift. That is why we call it the present."

Master Oogway from Kung Fu Panda
gryphonslair99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018   #4
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 487620
Editing OK?: No

I might be wrong but just putting a sign doesn't necessarily protect you unless you have registered the copyright and photo. Too bad these sites don't allow us to put up photos done in PDF style. For me, when I post I use the least amount of resolution possible.

heaterguy is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Your Work on the Web »

Share this topic: