Social Media hurting or helping?
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Your Work on the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2016   #1
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Social Media hurting or helping?

After researching various topics online with regard to social media and putting your professionally shot images out there to share, I'm coming to the conclusion that I don't want to. Granted, people can steal any image from anywhere even if they can't right click and/or drag the image.

A photographer friend of mine recently had his photo stolen by a major hotel chain (they cropped out his watermark) and they used it on their literature. When approached, they offered him a free meal and one night's stay as compensation. His lawyer told him that he could pursue it but it would end up costing him a lot of money because the hotel would just keep delaying a response to a lawsuit and in the end the case would be dismissed (sounds like bad advice??) His response has been to keep in touch with the hotel to try to generate work from them. Not sure how that's working out, I'll have to ask him.

While I realize people want to get their work out there and shown to the public, wouldn't a more effective way of using social media be to use it to promote visitors to your own site? Maybe a blog on your own site in lieu of Facebook, Instagram, Twitter posts, etc.? I've also read that Facebook can steal your images as well and use them in their own advertising with no compensation to the photographer or person sharing the images?

Has anyone generated new business directly from social media? I'm reluctant to believe that the number of "likes" a page has is a real testament to the success of any business, considering the fact that some of the "likes" generated are from family, friends, acquaintances, etc., and if that's the case, how "real" is it?

Just wondered what everyone's impression was and what they chose to do.

Old 10-30-2016   #2
Alpaca

CamelKarma: -222
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Social Media hurting or helping?

I'm not worried. But I don't do it for $, I do it for love. If I was all about $, then sure I would keep them under lock and key.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Your Work on the Web »

Share this topic:

Tags
copyright, facebook, instagram, social media, twitter