The Wedding of Johnny and Liisi Perkka
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Weddings

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2010   #1
Camel Breath

Location: Mental State: Just west of chaos and south of disaster.
CamelKarma: 45181
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default The Wedding of Johnny and Liisi Perkka

I know it was back in September when Sarah and I flew to Turku, Finland to photograph the wedding of our Camelites Johnny and Liisi, and now it is time to share. A lot of mixed feelings and a lot of things learned. I will forever and eternally be grateful to Johnny and Liisi for the opportunities they provided us. Unbelievably gracious in their hospitality, sincere in their friendship, and outstanding in their creativity and planning activities that no one can really understand unless you were actually there.

In our agreement, I gave Johnny all of the RAW files. Last week he presented the processed images to me. I took his processed images and assembled the following wedding album. Although Sarah and I missed some vital shots, the album came together nicely. I thank Johnny and Liisi once again for their trust and willingness to take a risk.

I still pinch myself every once in awhile.

www.kellylylephotography.com
www.centralillinoisweddings.com

"Opportunity knocks in vain if you don't reach out and open the door." K.C. Lyle
KellyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010   #2
Camel Breath

Default Re: The Wedding of Johnny and Liisi Perkka

More of the album:

"Opportunity knocks in vain if you don't reach out and open the door." K.C. Lyle
Old 01-10-2010   #3
Camel Breath

I know it is a lot...final installment:

One of the traditions is for the bride to get kidnapped. Johnny then needs to perform a task and earn enough money to pay the ransom. It was incredible! What a great tradition!

And that is that. Thanks Johnny and Liisi for memories that will last for generations!

Old 01-10-2010   #4
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 19107
Editing OK?: No

Absolutely beautiful Kelly.

Knowing yourself is the beginning of all wisdom. Aristotle
ΓΝΩΘΙ ΣΑΥΤΟΝ
Bunny N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010   #5
Camel Breath

Thanks Bun! It means a great deal. I appreciate you stopping by!

Old 01-10-2010   #6
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 61045

Kelly,

These are incredible!! And mean excellent on all fronts. The variety is great and how in the heck did you deal with that lighting in the Church?? That looks impossible almost. If you expose for the highlights the background is going to be totally black?

Really nice job and I'll have to go though and pic some favorites

Jay

SonyAlphaLab.com
Now On Google+

Jason Hermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010   #7
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 61045

Love the image of Johnny by the window and Lilsi getting in the car. Perfect exposure's and emotion Your book layouts are excellent as well kelly! Is that for an 8x10 Landscape by any chance?

Jay

SonyAlphaLab.com
Now On Google+

Jason Hermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010   #8
Camel Breath

Jay, I made this one a 12 x 12, which ends up of course being 12 x 24 when it is a double spread. I am going to have a sample album printed at GraphiStudio because I have a coupon for a FREE sample, value up to $1000. Wooohooo!

Book layouts...I focus on telling the story of the day as it unfolds.

The inside of the church was very difficult. The walls were very far away, and bouncing was an issue. We were allowed to use flash, but I have been brainwashed by those natural light gurus!

There was a TON of sunlight streaming down right on her dress, which made exposures EXTREMELY DIFFICULT! The lighting conditions kept changing on a dime. Needless to say, I was a bit frustrated! AND THE PRESSURE! The whole time Johnny is up at tha altar saying his vows, I'm thinking....he is really wondering if I am getting the shots and getting the exposures right.

I read in Real World Camera RAw that a full HALF of the information in a digital picture resides the data to the right half of the histogram. For this reason, when I look at the histogram during exposures, I try to push as much information to the right as possible, knowing that when I adjust the exposures in ACR or Lightroom, less noise will be introduced.

Johnny and Liisi were able to find about 500 photos they liked. That's not too bad.

I did learn that it is different photographing a friends wedding....it is harder to bring that emotion out that you find when you don't know people as well...and I got things jumbled up in my head...I let the pressure get to me...

Sarah did an outstanding job. Her shot of Lissi getting into that car is phenomenal, I think.

Thanks for stopping by.

Old 01-10-2010   #9
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 4373975

Excellent.
Truly.
The kiss at the altar is my favorite on many levels.

"It's all meaningless unless you know what it means"- Unknown
patterfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010   #10
Camel Breath

Thank you Fran. It means a lot. Expectations were so high...mostly self imposed. When I got home, all I could see was what I did not capture. Johnny and Liisis helped me put my head on straight. Thanks for stopping by.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Weddings »

Share this topic: