To Grip or not to grip, that is the question?
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Weddings

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2009   #1
Llama

CamelKarma: 1068
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default To Grip or not to grip, that is the question?

Man I am just so up and down with my camera and am so use to the weight that I don't know if I should or should not add a grip for my big hands or not. Does anyone use it and what are your thoughts strictly on wedding use? Is it more convenient to have the extra release?

I Have A Pair Of 40D's
texasshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009   #2
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 508
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: To Grip or not to grip, that is the question?

I use the extra release but the extra battery in there is what i really like about a grip. I use the D200 and love the fact that all I have to do is flick a switch and I am ready to go. The added weight wasnt enough to keep me from adding a grip.

DigitalDetailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009   #3
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 15390
Editing OK?: Ask first

It was like night and day for me. Had a rebel xt and it felt so small. Finally saved up and put the grip on and man oh man finally felt right and way more convenient. Then I upgraded to the 30d and bought grip at the same time. Now use a 1d series and there will be no going back. When the 5d markII one day lands on my lap it will have the grip also. Well worth that extra little weight and battery power. But then again I do not do weddings.
Old 07-04-2009   #4
Llama

CamelKarma: 1068

Thanks guys, I'm leaning that way also but having a little arthritis in the hand joints and didn't want the extra weight but my hands are big and the little camera can get kind of cumbersome.

Dave
Old 07-08-2009   #5
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 223163

My grip rarely leaves my camera.

Kiron Kid

Kiron Kid
Kiron Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009   #6
gjb
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 2204
Editing OK?: No

Grip is the single biggest MUST HAVE IMHO. It's like a microwave; once you get one, you wonder how you ever got by without. Same with Tivo.

G
gjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009   #7
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 869

i'm sorry, but i gots to have a grip, lol
Nkechi45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009   #8
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 223163

And the grip adds very little weight to you rig. But, it offers much more stability, etc when shooting vertically or at slow shutter speeds.

Kiron Kid

Kiron Kid
Kiron Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009   #9
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 61045
Editing OK?: Yes

I don't have 1 yet, but I really want 1 My battery on the 5D Mark II does not last as long as I would like. The weight is a concern of mine though for weddings.

Jay

SonyAlphaLab.com
Now On Google+

Jason Hermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009   #10
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 203

if you have slight arthritis in your hands then the grip isprobably the best thing for you, because no matter whether you're in portrait or landscape mode, you can still hold your camera by the grip right beside your face, non of this hanging the whole camera from your hand stuff...

just wait till you starts adding flashes

and 'L' glass... that where teh real weight is. but the grip adds the extra battery, which means longer shooting; you'd be unlucky fi you had to change batteries during a shoot; i've been known to get 2k+ shots out of a set of batteries with teh grip on my 40D, don't think it's that good on teh 50D, but then again i haven't really had a chance to give it a proper run yet. i'd definitely do it, when the funds come through, i'm definitely going to get another grip, so both the 40D and 50D can be gripped up.

flickr
joshman is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Weddings »

Share this topic: