My latest Wedding....
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Weddings

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2009   #1
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 19166
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default My latest Wedding....

OK, I have been avoiding putting these images up, well, can you blame. LittleGal post here. lol.. Ok, seriously. That is not why. I know people on here like crisp, sharp, flawless images. These are anything but. However, at the request of the bride she wanted her images black and white, she wanted them to look vintage, grainy, and well, old school. That's what I tried to accomplish. I had a little help. Crappy lighting from an all window chapel with the sun beaming in helped. I converted to b&w, added grain, and vigenette. here are some results.....

File Type: jpg camel002bw.jpg (112.2 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg camel003bw.jpg (107.7 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg camel004bw.jpg (101.0 KB, 131 views)

Weapon of choice: Sony Alpha 200
Lense:
Sony 18-70mm
Sony 50mm
Sigma 55-200mm

www.myspace.com/tilltheybleed
www.facebook.com/ernie.bustamante
Inked Photography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009   #2
Llama

CamelKarma: 248
Editing OK?: Ask first
Default Re: My latest Wedding....

They turned out good but I'm not getting the "vintage" feel. Do you prefer b&w or color? BTW, nice pics on your MySpace profile. Mind if I add you?

member666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009   #3
F1 Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by member666 View Post
They turned out good but I'm not getting the "vintage" feel. Do you prefer b&w or color? BTW, nice pics on your MySpace profile. Mind if I add you?
Depends on the mood I am in. But I lean towards b&w to tell a story. However here. Per the brides request they are all b&w. Vintage might have been a wrong word. Old maybe...lol... IDK..

By all means. Add me on my space. I am there a lot more.

Lense:
Sony 18-70mm
Sony 50mm
Sigma 55-200mm

Old 03-19-2009   #4
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 14721

Hey Ernie,
These look really good. I love the PJ factor in the first! Here's one of my heros who specializes in the b/w vintage look....check him out: Artistic Photojournalistic Wedding Photographers
I think your b/w looks good. One thing you can do to really enhance it is "painting with exposure".
Anyhoo, I played with one of your photos a bit, to try to do that exposure painting thing, and then hit it with contrast. (I wish I had a bride/groom face shot, because those work best).
Just something a bit different, although yours already looks really good:
As Shot:

Exposure Painting:

Again, just something different, but something I think our UK friends have down pat.
Great job! Share more!
littlegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009   #5
F1 Camel

Thanks LG!!! How did you accomplish that? I have CS3 I didn't see painting and exsposure. I did see exsposure. I like Murray's work as well. Top Notch. One of my favorites besides you.... is this guy...
Lancashire Wedding Photographer Jeff Ascough - Documentary wedding photography covering Lancashire, Manchester, Liverpool, Cheshire, the North West, and UK

Lense:
Sony 18-70mm
Sony 50mm
Sigma 55-200mm

Old 03-20-2009   #6
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 14721

Ohhhhh!I love Jeff Ascough's work too. They are both so brilliant. I love the way they handle black and white.
As for the exposure painting, just tweak curves in a layer mask. On up, one down, and then alternating layer masks, just start "painting". Only take a sec. Then blast it with contrast. Viola!
littlegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009   #7
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 30264

Good work Ernie! I really like #1 & #4. Don't hold back your wedding work, post it up. I have to admit it took me a while to start posting it up too. Extremely intimidating by all the great photogs in this section. But I have learned a lot by doing it. All the great photogs here are more than happy to help us newbs.
Dratom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009   #8
F1 Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dratom View Post
Good work Ernie! I really like #1 & #4. Don't hold back your wedding work, post it up. I have to admit it took me a while to start posting it up too. Extremely intimidating by all the great photogs in this section. But I have learned a lot by doing it. All the great photogs here are more than happy to help us newbs.
Thanks.....I will put up a couple more with the bride and groom. Still working on them. Thanks for the compliment and confidence. Much appreciated.....

Lense:
Sony 18-70mm
Sony 50mm
Sigma 55-200mm

Old 03-20-2009   #9
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 23281
Editing OK?: Ask first

Nice job Ernie!!!! Looking forward to seeing more!

Lovin both my Canon 5D and 40D!
Big gear junkie...addicted to L's!
trixiebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009   #10
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 2711051
Editing OK?: Ask First

Good job Ernie!

My images http://www.padrephotography.com
Padre is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Weddings »

Share this topic: