Snow Bride - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Weddings

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2009   #11
Camel Breath

Location: Mental State: Just west of chaos and south of disaster.
CamelKarma: 45181
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Snow Bride

Thanks Bill and Norm! The main problem with the first one is that I ran outside and snapped it at 3200 ISO without thinking. GRRRRR. ALWAYS CHECK THE ISO! ALWAYS CHECK THE ISO! ALWAYS CHECK THE ISO! ALWAYS CHECK THE ISO! It is one of the things I teach my students in my photography class, and I got busted. GRRRRRR.

www.kellylylephotography.com
www.centralillinoisweddings.com

"Opportunity knocks in vain if you don't reach out and open the door." K.C. Lyle
KellyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009   #12
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 30264

Tough shooting condition! Good work Kelly!
Dratom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009   #13
Camel Breath

I know...snow was making me nervous. But I just decided that it was just like any other outdoor shoot...look for the shade!

"Opportunity knocks in vain if you don't reach out and open the door." K.C. Lyle
Old 03-10-2009   #14
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 105604
Editing OK?: Ask First

Nice, Kelly.

I like the composition, but... The WB isn't equal between the two. Actually, I like the warmth of the fist shot, but the second one is a bit cool.

Which reminds me of a questions I've had - do you tone balance the skin tones throughout an album? Theoretically, the CMY values of, say, the bride's skin shouldn't change shot to shot. The K value will, depending on lighting and exposure, but unless she does something like go to the powder room and change her makeup...

I'm reluctant to do so, as conversion to/from CMYK mode just to do a curves adjustement, and then to do this for hundreds of images that may be presented to the client doesn't sound like a lot of fun. I had to do it once, and learned that the Auto White Balance setting on my Nikon D70s was frustrating. It was made even more frustrating by the choice of RAW processer I used to use, but I digress.
Old 03-10-2009   #15
Camel Breath

Arved....this is why I hate WB. It is so unpredictable. And I keep saying, I am going to shoot my WhiBal card in all the situations so I don't have to mess with it, and faithfully, I forget to do it.

The one of the couple at the reception was inspired by one of my heroes....Joe Buissink. I saw it unfolding and tried to capture it. But his shot is better...better expression on the bride and adoring look of the groom. http://www.joebuissink.com/main.php Third gallery, fifth picture. Love that one.

Old 03-10-2009   #16
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 12371645

That's nice, Kelly - do a dark vignette on it and I think you've got it, like Joe Buissink's.
Old 03-11-2009   #17
Camel Breath

I wondered if anybody would take a peeky peek...and you did! Almost. He had a higher angle than I did. The head table at my reception was elevated, so even though I was standing on a chair, I couldn't get a good angle.

I love taking pictures. Isn't that just a silly thing to say?

Old 03-11-2009   #18
Camel Breath

You can tell that Joe's was all available light, and mine was flash filled. I like the ambient look better, but always fear the racoon eyes.

Old 03-11-2009   #19
Camel Breath

Also, Joe uses a master printer and still shoots film. It looks to me that his shot and the one prodcued by his master printer is a mix of both sepia and black and white. I think I may give that a whirly whirl and see what comes out.

Old 03-11-2009   #20
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 12371645

Be sure and post it, I want to see what you get.

I like the bokeh of the lights in yours. Joe didn't get that in his.

Critique and comments always welcome.
Rain Lily is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Weddings »

Share this topic: