Bride from this morning
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Weddings

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2009   #1
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 45802
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Bride from this morning

I did a little bridal shoot this morning. I used a new lens, the Tokina 50-135mm 2.8 on a tripod. My camera was my well used D300. Thoughts on these?

www.iflphoto.com
OdzBodkinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009   #2
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 104888
Default Re: Bride from this morning

Nice exposure and color. Lowering the bouquet and holding with one hand can help get elbows away from waste to make her look a little slimmer. Include a little more environment in the full lengths helps too. Crop and vignette the close ups. Drape the dress a little more to better show it off.

I wouldn't have chosen this dress for this person, but they never ask the photographer. We used to show samples to brides if they didn't have their dress picked yet. We would mention the pros and cons, but if they already had it, we kept our mouth shut.
kgphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009   #3
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 45802

Thanks KG. Yes, I agree she could have used a shawl or something for her arms. I am struggling with how to approach this. Obviously I didn't want to offend her. I have some others where she had her veil on which covered her arms and shoulders a bit. Thank you for the tips.

Also, we weren't thrilled with her bouquet either, as it was sort of unappealing to both my assistant and me.

On a positive note, I thought she was a pretty bride, and we had alot of fun this morning. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 03-08-2009   #4
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 12371645
Editing OK?: Yes

I think she's lovely. And at least that dress isn't strapless, which seems to be the 'going' thing no matter what the shape of the lady. I think this one is pretty on her.

Nice work, Joshua...
Old 03-08-2009   #5
Camel Breath

Location: Mental State: Just west of chaos and south of disaster.
CamelKarma: 45181

I know she will love these. The color, sharpness, bokeh are all first rate. Nicely done. My only issue would be the OOF bouquet because of the narrow dof in the second one.

www.kellylylephotography.com
www.centralillinoisweddings.com

"Opportunity knocks in vain if you don't reach out and open the door." K.C. Lyle
KellyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009   #6
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 456

nice job....is that a golf course?
Tandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009   #7
F1 Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyL View Post
I know she will love these. The color, sharpness, bokeh are all first rate. Nicely done. My only issue would be the OOF bouquet because of the narrow dof in the second one.
Bu that makes the fore ground for the image so you have depth. It is easier to see in a single image, not viewed as slices on a monitor. I would probably fuzz it out a little more to make it look more deliberate.

This particular dress wasn't fitted properly to this girl. Yes, I sew too! It is difficult to find a dress to fit, due to her size, but with some alterations it could have been better. She looks like a lovely person and I am sure will love the pictures. One thing is to not let light hit her arms, as anything you light will come "forward" and be bigger. Definitely use the veil, but that is sometimes hard to do in breezy conditions.

You could do a little Photoshop liquefy to reduce some bulges, just make sure you charge for it.
Old 03-08-2009   #8
Camel Breath

Location: Mental State: Just west of chaos and south of disaster.
CamelKarma: 45181

Quote:
Bu that makes the fore ground for the image so you have depth. It is easier to see in a single image, not viewed as slices on a monitor. I would probably fuzz it out a little more to make it look more deliberate.
I know what you are saying, and we have done that many times in our work, but for this image, I would pefer the bouquet in focus as well. Salt to taste.

www.kellylylephotography.com
www.centralillinoisweddings.com

"Opportunity knocks in vain if you don't reach out and open the door." K.C. Lyle
KellyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009   #9
F1 Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyL View Post
I know what you are saying, and we have done that many times in our work, but for this image, I would pefer the bouquet in focus as well. Salt to taste.
Ah but have you calibrated your camera yet?

Seriously, have you looked at the new DND profiler that is free from Adobe?
Old 03-09-2009   #10
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 2711051

You did a nice job. My favorite is the 3rd for background and to me she just looks more relaxed.

My images http://www.padrephotography.com
Padre is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Weddings »

Share this topic: