Happy Bride and Groom - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Weddings

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2009   #11
Camel Breath

Location: Mental State: Just west of chaos and south of disaster.
CamelKarma: 45181
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Happy Bride and Groom

Scott...yes, this is that same wedding from the other thread at Eagle Waters Resort. Great place.

Thanks for the comments.

www.kellylylephotography.com
www.centralillinoisweddings.com

"Opportunity knocks in vain if you don't reach out and open the door." K.C. Lyle
KellyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009   #12
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 334

Kelly beautiful looks like you had a very challenging location how did you handle the white balance and where you using a flash bouncing it?
TAFNAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009   #13
Camel Breath

White balance is handled in post using LR or ACR, depending on my mood for the day. I prefer working in ACR, but I am forcing myself to explore LR more.

Flash is a 580EXII. I find that with the 5D the flash is much more consistent with exposures. Very consistent. With the 40D, Mark McCall has demonstrated repeatedly that the exposures are inconsistent. I use a Gary Fong diffuser and bounce from wherever needed. The originals have quite a yellow cast, but that is easily repaired in LR or ACR.

I have tried the Lumiquest Omnibounce, but I don't like it. It is too harsh. I have tried the stofen, and don't care for it either. Fong diffuses the shadows a tad more than the others, which is what I prefer. In closeups, I find that it gives a nice light when I am bouncing off the ceiling and the bride is looking up at me.

"Opportunity knocks in vain if you don't reach out and open the door." K.C. Lyle
Old 03-10-2009   #14
Guanaco

I am finding it very interesting how some many people are not really worried about white balance and just correcting it afterwards. I do the same I am just trying to try/learn new techniques to "get it right the first time." Thank you so much for your time and information you share with us.

Do you have a preference on which Fong diffuser you use?
Old 03-10-2009   #15
Camel Breath

Fong...universal cloud.

I do think that if I were to set the WB ahead of time, I would get a better image. But I HATE WB. The WB changed from the front to each of the different sides of the room. So how does one account for that? The front has all that mix of natural and tungsten lighiting. The side where the guitar player was was all lighting reflected off of the pine wood. The back where they marched in was dominate tungsten. Can't shoot that with custom WB...everytime you change an angle, you need a new custom WB. I suppose before hand I could have my assistant (my darling Sarah) stand in each one of those places where shots would be taken and snap a picture using both flash and ambient. that might be a suggestion.

Old 03-10-2009   #16
Guanaco

Please don't think I am doubting your technique. Which I am not. I am just trying to find a better way to do things and your secenerio is exactly what I keep running into so custom WB will just wont work. I am just trying to see what others do. You will notice in some of my newest posts that WB is the newest topic on my mind that I am trying to get a better grasp on.

Thanks again.
Old 03-10-2009   #17
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 11331

I don't generally comment on weddings but this is too good not to !!

Beautiful work and the family will be delighted !!

Ron
Old 03-10-2009   #18
Camel Breath

TafNap, don't worry. I know you aren't questioning my technique! It is just a real frustration for me. WB is such a delicate thing with these images. Bambi Cantrell uses an Expo Disc for WB and makes me believe I need to get one and try it out. But I don't know how well that would work in the heat of the battle.

Ron: thank you very much! Means a great deal to have folks comment.

Old 03-10-2009   #19
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 104888
Editing OK?: Ask First

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyL View Post
Fong...universal cloud.

I do think that if I were to set the WB ahead of time, I would get a better image. But I HATE WB. The WB changed from the front to each of the different sides of the room. So how does one account for that? The front has all that mix of natural and tungsten lighiting. The side where the guitar player was was all lighting reflected off of the pine wood. The back where they marched in was dominate tungsten. Can't shoot that with custom WB...everytime you change an angle, you need a new custom WB. I suppose before hand I could have my assistant (my darling Sarah) stand in each one of those places where shots would be taken and snap a picture using both flash and ambient. that might be a suggestion.
You could also do it after the ceremony while you are waiting to do the formals. Now you know where you took shots from so you can remember where to make the WB shots. You or Sarah could use a Whi-Bal card on a light stand and zip zip zip off the shots while the other gets the candidds outside.
kgphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009   #20
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 104888
Editing OK?: Ask First

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyL View Post
Bambi Cantrell uses an Expo Disc for WB and makes me believe I need to get one and try it out. But I don't know how well that would work in the heat of the battle.
Expo disk can't accurately take into account flash on camera. Same reason auto WB doesn't work well. It would measure light reflecting off the subjects so wall color would influence WB. Better to use a target like a Whi-Bal.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Weddings »

Share this topic: