The Moment of Truth
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Weddings

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2009   #1
Camel Breath

Location: Mental State: Just west of chaos and south of disaster.
CamelKarma: 45181
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default The Moment of Truth

When Sarah and I shoot, her instructions are to stay with the bride and follow every moment. We both love the shots of the back of the bride as she is leaving for the ceremony...often she is walking up a flight of stairs and the pictures are just so gosh derned elegant. At this wedding, the girls were all huddled in a back hallway waiting for that moment. Sarah faithfully continued to snap (she knows she won't get paid if she doesn't get these pictures!) I know I am over doing the sepia-ish toning, but I just love it. It makes everything so dreamy and romantic. I am posting this set in sepia-ish toning and in color so you can see the two different stories they create. Color has its place, but I just love the old photo look.

File Type: jpg 0002IMG_8427-2.jpg (100.0 KB, 257 views)
File Type: jpg 0003IMG_8428-2.jpg (103.2 KB, 257 views)
File Type: jpg 0004IMG_8429-2.jpg (105.1 KB, 257 views)
File Type: jpg 0005IMG_8430-2.jpg (102.2 KB, 257 views)
File Type: jpg 0006IMG_8431-2.jpg (102.1 KB, 255 views)

www.kellylylephotography.com
www.centralillinoisweddings.com

"Opportunity knocks in vain if you don't reach out and open the door." K.C. Lyle
KellyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009   #2
Camel Breath

Default Re: The Moment of Truth

Second round of pics...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0007IMG_4093-2.jpg (89.6 KB, 249 views)
File Type: jpg 0008IMG_8432-2.jpg (89.7 KB, 248 views)
File Type: jpg 0009IMG_8433-2.jpg (98.5 KB, 248 views)
File Type: jpg 0010IMG_8435-2.jpg (83.6 KB, 247 views)

"Opportunity knocks in vain if you don't reach out and open the door." K.C. Lyle
Old 03-05-2009   #3
Camel Breath

And the color versions....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0011IMG_8424.jpg (133.1 KB, 245 views)
File Type: jpg 0012IMG_8427.jpg (124.0 KB, 246 views)
File Type: jpg 0013IMG_8428.jpg (123.3 KB, 243 views)
File Type: jpg 0014IMG_8429.jpg (127.5 KB, 241 views)
File Type: jpg 0015IMG_8430.jpg (120.4 KB, 238 views)
File Type: jpg 0016IMG_8431.jpg (122.0 KB, 238 views)

Old 03-05-2009   #4
Camel Breath

Last of the series
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0017IMG_4093.jpg (132.2 KB, 236 views)
File Type: jpg 0018IMG_8432.jpg (111.8 KB, 235 views)
File Type: jpg 0019IMG_8433.jpg (125.1 KB, 234 views)
File Type: jpg 0020IMG_8435.jpg (93.3 KB, 231 views)

Old 03-05-2009   #5
Camel Breath

This is when it is the best...when the folks really forget that you are there and you can be the photojournalist you want to be. The subtle emotion caught in the faces is nothing short of priceless. I love it. The only thing I DON'T like is Sarah gets to have all this fun while I am out shooting the "expected" shots. Sigh.

Old 03-05-2009   #6
Camel Breath

I processed all of those so quicly. On the second set, I would definitely bring up the bride so she was more in the spotlight. But you get the idea. I have made it my goal to post a few of these every night.

Had a good day in photo sales today. Wish they were all this good!

Old 03-06-2009   #7
Llama

CamelKarma: 2667

OK Kelly, I know you'll want my honest opinion on these and I have to say that the sequence doesn't do a lot for me.
As you know, I'm all for the papparazzi shot but I have a thing about backs of heads and action that is moving away from the FOV.
As I see it that leaves the viewer feeling "left behind", excluded.

That said, Sarah has captured natural expressions of the bride and groom as they are about to enter their reception,
exposure is good throughout and I do agree that sepia suits this sequence better.
sandrann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009   #8
Camel Breath

I certainly understand that these aren't for everybody. People who hire me for our style. We get plenty of pictures of the same old same old, but to me, these kinds of shots are what make us shine.

I absolutely love the first one, and I can't pick a favorite out of the second shot! Instead of being left behind, I see it as a fly on the wall.

And honest opinions are expected. If you jumped on here and said, "Nice photos" and left, I would be offended. I would much rather know your true opinion than an obligatory slap on the back!

Old 03-06-2009   #9
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 12371645

Here's my honest opinion about it. As the viewer, I get the feeling that Sandrann did on the ones from behind. Except for the ones where she's obviously going into the ceremony. And I do like all the ones that show faces, and emotion, like #3 and #5, and the ones with the father.

However - I also know that the bride will "relive" that moment through all of these, so I think there is a place for them. These wouldn't be ones that Uncle Joe would want, but the bride will no doubt look at these and get a strong memory of the sense of anticipation/nervousness/excitement that she felt on the day of the wedding.

So - I think y'all are doing a great job with it.

And I prefer the sepia as well.
Old 03-06-2009   #10
SCI
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 275

I like the sequence as well. The guys I shoot for want these images from me as well. I didn't fully understand until I helped them make the albums and the slideshows and these images are what helps lend to that leaving the old life and going into the new life story that gets told via the albums. #5 is probably my favorite of the series. Good captures of a fleeting moment.

http://smokeycreekimages.com
Sony and Minolta gear

You are the only impediment to your success.
Photography - An original of a reproduction
SCI is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Weddings »

Share this topic: