The Moment of Truth - Page 3
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Weddings

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2009   #21
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 15232
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: The Moment of Truth

I like them too, Kelly. I think the tone on the sepia's might be off a tick for my taste but I like what you're doing with them.

And in the context of a larger set of photos with all the usual suspects present, I think these are great. They certainly tell part of the story.

Project4145

Lee4145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009   #22
Camel Breath

Location: Mental State: Just west of chaos and south of disaster.
CamelKarma: 45181
Editing OK?: Yes

Thanks boys! All comments are more than welcome. I just showed them to a "hopeful" bride and she really says she wants me to shoot her wedding.

I guess it all goes to show you...it takes all kinds!

www.kellylylephotography.com
www.centralillinoisweddings.com

"Opportunity knocks in vain if you don't reach out and open the door." K.C. Lyle
KellyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009   #23
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 15232
Editing OK?: No

It's actually a little disillusioning to me. I shot about 10 photos of a teen the other day for school pictures and I just posted them and let her pick a favorite. To me there was a clear winner. I mean CLEAR winner. Everything just right.

And she picked the one with her head tilted wrong and broad lit. I was disgusted. Just when I thought I had a bead on it, someone does that and makes me second-guess what I thought I knew.

Project4145

Lee4145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009   #24
Camel Breath

You know. They just aren't looking at all the techno stuff.

"Opportunity knocks in vain if you don't reach out and open the door." K.C. Lyle
Old 03-06-2009   #25
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 12371327

One thing I've learned to do is NOT show the ones I don't like. Because it seems like those are the ones they always love. lol

Kelly - I feel like I was sounding mean. I meant it to be a supportive post. I like what you're doing; I didn't feel a big connection with some of them, but then again, I don't feel a connection with everybody else's wedding formals, and I know that's a big part of it all too. I hope you heard the good stuff I was trying to say more than the less good stuff.
Old 03-06-2009   #26
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 17910

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee4145 View Post
I like them too, Kelly. I think the tone on the sepia's might be off a tick for my taste but I like what you're doing with them.

And in the context of a larger set of photos with all the usual suspects present, I think these are great. They certainly tell part of the story.
This is pretty much my exact feedback, so I'll save myself some typing and just say "ditto".

tbnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009   #27
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 4373975

Well I don't know much about wedding photography but it seems to me that these do tell the story and from an insiders view. Sort of a backstage pass to their wedding. ANd I can see why these would be cool to them as they thumb through their album later. Maybe not for over the fireplace gallery wraps. Feel the tension just before they are announced as the new Mr And Mrs Whatever. (Or nowadays announcing the same Mr Johnson and his new bride Mrs Williams-Johnson.)

Kelly, you keep doing what you do. And as they book you for more and more weddings you'll have your true evaluation.

Having said all that. Your sepia is still too pink. But what the hell do I know

"It's all meaningless unless you know what it means"- Unknown
patterfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009   #28
Camel Breath

Oh Sis! Don't feel badly at all! I post here to get feed back and to get better! That is how I have approaced EVERYTHING that I have posted on the Camel. I have never wanted to come off as the guy who only wants a pat on the back, or "good job" or the patsy, "Nice photo". I want real feed back.

Tina, thanks for your support as well. It is good to hear from everybody.

I know I have been hanging out here over in weddings more than in portraits, but this is what I am shooting right now.

I need to spend more time here.

I have a little problem, and it is a confidence problem. I have shot a lot of wedding stuff, but I keep thinking...I don't know...is it good enough...is it good enough.

Well, it was good enough for someone from Finland to take note and want to hire me for his and her wedding!

How do I share this without sounding sappy or like a loser? I know what I am after. What I am after takes years of seeing, trying, risking, developing. I would like to say that I am just a natural with all of this, but I need to grow. So I post what I consider good stuff to get feed back and to help me grow.

Granted, these are Sarah's shots. She still has a lot of growing herself, but this is how she sees the world, and we share the same vision! She takes these types of shots because I encourage her to do it, and these are the types of shots I rave about to her...to help her grow and get better.

Eventually, I will achieve what I am after and it will communicate exactly what I want it to.

I wish we were all just sitting in the same room talking, and perhaps I could make myself understood just a little better. Sometimes sharing on the forum seems to get cumbersome.

Iron sharpens Iron...never forget that!

Old 03-06-2009   #29
Camel Breath

Thakns Fran!

Just to clear up the pink thing. It isn't Sepia...it is called "Old Photo". Sepia is okay, but I kinda like the "Old Photo" better. Provides for a bit of interest, IMHO.

I will repost with some Sepia so you can see the difference.

Old 03-06-2009   #30
Camel Breath

But what I really love, is all these people visiting the wedding forum. I was a much better regular over here for awhile, and then I abandoned and went over to the portrait side. I neglected this forum FAR too long. I need to start posting from every wedding I shoot!

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Weddings »

Share this topic: