The Moment of Truth - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Weddings

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2009   #11
Camel Breath

Location: Mental State: Just west of chaos and south of disaster.
CamelKarma: 45181
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: The Moment of Truth

Thanks for looking and the comments. I think, Chris, you said it well...and I had never articulated it like that before...the fleeting moment. Yes. I love that. Capturing the fleeting moment.

These images are shot for the album. Sarah and I always shoot with the album in mind. Our albums are full of candids and a few formals. In our albums, we work to tell the story. To be there for the bride and groom so that they can relive those moments. I used to do the videography for weddings (and Cindy will wonder if I was always standing in the way of the photog! ) and videography provides one way to capture the moment, but being on this side of the camera I enjoy capturing the moment in time instead of time streaming.

I know a flood of emotions will return to the bride when she sees images like this.

They will never be displayed on a wall, and nobody will ever order one of these images...however...I am very surprised at some of the pictures the brides do order. Some very strange ones that I never even would have considered for the album.

Our philosophy is to be there. To capture the moment. We shoot, and shoot, and shoot, and shoot. Yes, we shoot over 1500 images at a wedding, but for me, it is worth it.

Bambi Cantrell writes in her book that she shoots well over 1000 pictures on a wedding day. And that was even in the day of FILM! She became a wedding photographer because she was so disappointed with the images from her wedding. I don't think that our style echoes Bambi Cantrell at all...I really don't know who we emulate, to tell you the truth.

I do know this. This type of shooting is my style. Sure, we do all of the formals, we do all of the family shots, and we try to do the best job we can with those. Stay tuned, the formals are coming.

But to me, these shots offer an artistic view of a fleeting moment.

Here is what is good about this. A year ago, I wouldn't even consider putting these kinds of pictures up. I don't think my "confidence level" could have handled any negative feed back. But I have grown to the point where I know what I like in photos, and I have created enough albums that I know what these will look like in an album.

So yes, I love these images. One of my favorites is the last one. I absolutely adore that shot. It is so full of meaning, anticipation....when you put it in the context of the series.

www.kellylylephotography.com
www.centralillinoisweddings.com

"Opportunity knocks in vain if you don't reach out and open the door." K.C. Lyle
KellyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009   #12
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 2711051
Editing OK?: Ask First

All these are part of the story. And you are right, no one knows which images are going to trigger emotion with the bride, groom, or their family. I really like the 3rd - 5th as she looks back that one final time to make sure she is perfect.
Old 03-06-2009   #13
Camel Breath

Thanks Padre. Always good to hear your comments!

"Opportunity knocks in vain if you don't reach out and open the door." K.C. Lyle
Old 03-06-2009   #14
Camel Breath

Quote:
OK Kelly, I know you'll want my honest opinion on these and I have to say that the sequence doesn't do a lot for me.
As you know, I'm all for the papparazzi shot but I have a thing about backs of heads and action that is moving away from the FOV.
As I see it that leaves the viewer feeling "left behind", excluded.
You know, I have been thinking about this, and I realize that when Sarah and I shoot, we are both an eye to the action. She is getting this angle, while I am getting the other. Combined, I think they tell the complete story. I didn't include mine in this sequence, and I think by seeing with "both eyes wide opened" you would get a better feel for what I am trying to communicate and accomplish.

This has been a good process for me to better understand my goal as a wedding photog. You guys have done a great job of helping me define my work a little better. (I should say OUR work...the combination of me and Sarah). I am going to rework this sequence so we can see with both eyes.

Thanks. I love the feedback!

Old 03-06-2009   #15
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 14721

I'm not a wild fan of the first few, but the rest work for me. I love seeing the EMOTIONS. You did well on that.
littlegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009   #16
Camel Breath

Thanks Cindy. These are Sarah's shots, and I will pass her comments along. It is my job, then, to piece everything together and cull the good from the so so. I agree about that emotion thing. It is so important to catch and yet can be so elusive.

Old 03-06-2009   #17
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 14721

Can I say something else? I'm not keen on the pink processing. (It's a pink version of sepia on my computer). I'd much rather see a not processed version, or a straight sepia.
littlegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009   #18
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 30264

You know I'm a big fan Kelly, so saying this isn't easy.... Over the year I have seen a lot of your work, and these are not up to your standards. I think these shots mixed in an album would definitely add a nice touch, but I don't think these shots can hold on their own.

sorry

jd
Dratom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009   #19
Camel Breath

Dang. I must just have poor taste. Or maybe I am just tied to them because Sarah is my daughter. Regardless, time and time again I have read that as photographers we must take risks. So maybe this is an example of some risk taking? I don't know. I really think that it is kind of funny to say that we have to take "risks". I mean...we are taking pictures. We aren't really risking that much.

I showed these photos to several of the women here at work, and they all cooed. Asked me if they could get remarried and have me take their images. (Me and Sarah that is.) So the whole thing has left me a little bewildered.

Jay Hermann once said something like, "Kelly...you have the (balls?) to post both your good and bad stuff on the Camel." Granted, I don't think these are BAD, I just think they are different. If these were the only photos we took, I could understand an "ouch!". But these are only a few out of the collection.

I am not trying to defend myself in the least, but am trying to understand myself and what I want my branding to be.

I really DO appreciate all of the comments. Without this kind of dialogue, I am stuck in my own little corner in my own little world and I can be whatever I want to be.

Old 03-06-2009   #20
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 61045

Nicely done Kelly I prefer the sepia versions as it does seem more dreamy in my mind and helps the viewer focus more on the emotional value.

Best,
Jay

SonyAlphaLab.com
Now On Google+

Jason Hermann is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Weddings »

Share this topic: