What Would It Take?
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Weddings

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2009   #1
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Smile What Would It Take?

Hello Friends,

Coming Sun I am doing my first wedding as a secondary photographer. A bit nervous but confident enough to go through with it

While researching for professional wedding photographers I came across a website which had some outstanding pictures in my opinion(http://www.dreamlife.net.au/). See first 3 attached pics .

To me they seem to be enhanced in PS and I would love to know how to get those effects. Also what setting to use on camera while shooting such images in the first place? Also look at image 2, does anyone know how to get the couple in color while leaving the rest in B/W?

The last image is what I took and was able to enhance a little bit but I still don't think I am anywhere close.

I would appreciate if someone can shed some light and guide me to become better.

Thanks
The_One

File Type: jpg 2.JPG (22.8 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg 3.JPG (22.5 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (113.0 KB, 116 views)
The_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009   #2
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 12371327
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: What Would It Take?

Editing my original post -

The_One - I know you're just trying to learn, but check out these guidelines, especially #9 - you might want to edit your post to credit the owner of the first 3 photos. http://photocamel.com/forum/moderato...tml#post245870

As far as post processing, I can tell the 1st and 3rd have saturated colors, and have dark vignettes. I'm not sure of how they accomplished it, but I'm sure someone here will have some good ideas.
Old 03-05-2009   #3
Camel Breath

Location: Mental State: Just west of chaos and south of disaster.
CamelKarma: 45181

This is really the wrong forum for asking these kinds of questions. This post belongs over in Image Editing.

www.kellylylephotography.com
www.centralillinoisweddings.com

"Opportunity knocks in vain if you don't reach out and open the door." K.C. Lyle
KellyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009   #4
Alpaca

Smile Re: What Would It Take?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Lily View Post
Editing my original post -

The_One - I know you're just trying to learn, but check out these guidelines, especially #9 - you might want to edit your post to credit the owner of the first 3 photos. http://photocamel.com/forum/moderato...tml#post245870

As far as post processing, I can tell the 1st and 3rd have saturated colors, and have dark vignettes. I'm not sure of how they accomplished it, but I'm sure someone here will have some good ideas.

Thanks...I've acknowledged the website
Old 03-06-2009   #5
Camel Breath

I thnk the last one looks really nice, and I like your processing.

It appears to me that the person processing these images is using a combination of masks and saturation. These effects are created in PS.

The one on the water either has some saturation or cross processing going on in the water and the other items are masked to avoid the saturation or cross processing.

I think the blue sky is being created with a gradient filter and saturtion sliders.

"Opportunity knocks in vain if you don't reach out and open the door." K.C. Lyle
Old 03-06-2009   #6
Camel Breath

I think you are correct about the first one. Notice that the same light is falling on the sky, the subject, the field. The subjects are not looking into the camera but at each other, therefore there are no squints. A simple vignette and frame will achieve this effect.

Old 03-06-2009   #7
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 13109
Editing OK?: Ask first

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_One View Post
To me they seem to be enhanced in PS and I would love to know how to get those effects. Also what setting to use on camera while shooting such images in the first place? Also look at image 2, does anyone know how to get the couple in color while leaving the rest in B/W?
I am not nearly as experienced as most in this forum, so with that being said.

First there is some good advice about the pp on these shots. Graduated filters are for sure used at some point either on lens or in Photoshop, more than likely Photoshop.

Second there are no "magic" settings. Exposure comes from your environment and your ability to shape light. Each of these photos have different camera settings tailored to the enviro that the photog was in. Knowing your camera's settings and capabilities + knowing the light and dark available to you at the moment = exposure. I hope that makes sense.

Thirdly the second image is a simple layer mask. Here is a simple way in Photoshop. Copy background > apply b&w technique to copy > apply layer mask > grab brush tool, set to black, paint out the b&w on the bride and groom on the layer mask to reveal the color layer underneath > flatten > save > print.

One piece of advice and maybe you have already done this, if so good for you. If you are a second shooter at this wedding, make sure you understand what the primary photographer wants from you. What type of shots, of whom or what? How "noticed" should you be or do you just disappear and be a good photojournalist. Find out what they want and decide what and how to shoot from there. Remember they are hiring you because they need you to take photos of something they won't have time to do.

Photography can allow you to meet people and go places you never dreamed, if you let it.

Portfolio - http://www.opensky-studios.com

Personal Blog - http://alt-road.blogspot.com
cman78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009   #8
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 13109
Editing OK?: Ask first

Sorry I didn't give any feedback about your photo. I went back and re-read your post and realized the last photo belongs to you. Nice photo, good processing, and nice touch on the frame. Again these are my opinions not anything written in stone.

First let me say there is nothing "wrong" with your photo as it sits. It is very well done and very functional. Now when comparing it to another photographer's work, I would agree with you that it is lacking that je ne sais quoi that the other one's have. The reason I believe is that my eye is not "drawn" to anything in your photo, the subject is just in the middle. When doing emotive photography, especially wedding photography, it is important to frame (or crop) the shot in a manner that draws people naturally to the emotion. Don't make their eyes work for it cause most of the time they won't find it. Here is one way you get it. All of the other photogs photos are obeying the rule of thirds (aka the golden mean). The last one fuzzes on the outer edge but it adds to the photo not detracts. As Benji would say know the rules and if you are going to break them make sure it adds to the photo.

Rule of Thirds
News Photos and Layout: Photography, the Golden Mean, and Geeky Coolness

Processing advice to get close to the other ones. First I think if you move your subject left or right to get her on a mark you will improve it greatly. Second you could saturate the grass more.

Photography can allow you to meet people and go places you never dreamed, if you let it.

Portfolio - http://www.opensky-studios.com

Personal Blog - http://alt-road.blogspot.com
cman78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009   #9
Alpaca

Smile Re: What Would It Take?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyL View Post
I thnk the last one looks really nice, and I like your processing.

It appears to me that the person processing these images is using a combination of masks and saturation. These effects are created in PS.

The one on the water either has some saturation or cross processing going on in the water and the other items are masked to avoid the saturation or cross processing.

I think the blue sky is being created with a gradient filter and saturtion sliders.
Thanks Kellyl...appreciate your comments. "gradient filter and saturtion sliders", now I've something to research about
Old 03-06-2009   #10
Alpaca

Quote:
Originally Posted by cman78 View Post
I am not nearly as experienced as most in this forum, so with that being said.

First there is some good advice about the pp on these shots. Graduated filters are for sure used at some point either on lens or in Photoshop, more than likely Photoshop.

Second there are no "magic" settings. Exposure comes from your environment and your ability to shape light. Each of these photos have different camera settings tailored to the enviro that the photog was in. Knowing your camera's settings and capabilities + knowing the light and dark available to you at the moment = exposure. I hope that makes sense.

Thirdly the second image is a simple layer mask. Here is a simple way in Photoshop. Copy background > apply b&w technique to copy > apply layer mask > grab brush tool, set to black, paint out the b&w on the bride and groom on the layer mask to reveal the color layer underneath > flatten > save > print.

One piece of advice and maybe you have already done this, if so good for you. If you are a second shooter at this wedding, make sure you understand what the primary photographer wants from you. What type of shots, of whom or what? How "noticed" should you be or do you just disappear and be a good photojournalist. Find out what they want and decide what and how to shoot from there. Remember they are hiring you because they need you to take photos of something they won't have time to do.
Hi Cman78,

Thanks for your explanation. I see your point regarding exposure, it is something I need to get better at.

I also followed your instructions regarding the second image and was able to successfully create similar effect. Thanks for that.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Weddings »

Share this topic: