First Wedding Ever
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Weddings

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2009   #1
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 5605
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default First Wedding Ever

I bow to the supremacy of wedding photographers. That can be a hard job! I know this wedding sure wasn't... well... cake.

These were taken January 3rd this year and just decided to post to get some C&C. The couple asked me to take photos last minute and it was going on my 2nd month ever picking up an SLR, so please excuse the mess.

Edited-26.jpg

Edited-127.jpg

Edited-171.jpg

Edited-10.jpg

Edited-175.jpg

Edited-30.jpg

Looking forward to doing another one to gain more experience. It was fun but tiring at the same time.

(C&C&K Always Welcome and Appreciated!)

Add me on Facebook

Royale Portraits
jrseyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009   #2
Camel Breath

Location: Mental State: Just west of chaos and south of disaster.
CamelKarma: 45181
Default Re: First Wedding Ever

Well, you have gotten a taste for the cake, and if you want to continue to eat, my first advice would be to invest in some lenses. A lot of these are too soft, which could be the fault of your lens, camera shake, or too slow of a shutter. Take some time to straighten the cake picture in PS.

Photojournalism is a must at a wedding, but you need to choose your shots carefully. The bride looks like she has an itch. I am not sure what this particular picture is supposed to be communicating.

You did capture some nice expressions and a little sepia toning would give the first one a dramatic appearance.

Think about how you are going to use that on camera flash. Learn how to diffuse it and use it to your advantage.

www.kellylylephotography.com
www.centralillinoisweddings.com

"Opportunity knocks in vain if you don't reach out and open the door." K.C. Lyle
KellyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009   #3
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 13109
Editing OK?: Ask first

There are many more experienced wedding photogs on here than me, but I will throw a couple pennies in the jar.

Shooting a wedding for the first time is very high energy, glad to see you made it out alive. I am assuming that if it was a last minute request these may be friends of yours. If so it is good of you to be so kind to them. The first and last shot have good emotion (dude in the foreground needs to be cropped out of the first one though). I am sure there are other good ones as well.

Kelly is spot on about lenses, that is tough cause they are EXPENSIVE but necessary for top grade work.

Kelly is also right about photojournalism. In regard to #3 I am with Kelly that the message is she is itching or fixing her dress. Photos with no purpose or message are just snapshots. Which professional wedding photographers leave to Uncle Jimmy to take. Sometimes a quick mental check before snapping the shutter goes a long way. Also this may just not be a shot that makes the collection. We all have those.

And fix that cake. Sorry it's a peeve of mine (and you will find a few others) to tilt the cake.

If you are seriously considering wedding photography get yourself in the hands of a professional in your area. Find a mentor and learn learn learn. Study photogs you respect and strive to produce excellent images.

You have a good eye for photography, I like a lot of your other work.

Thanks for sharing

Photography can allow you to meet people and go places you never dreamed, if you let it.

Portfolio - http://www.opensky-studios.com

Personal Blog - http://alt-road.blogspot.com
cman78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009   #4
Camel Breath

Location: Mental State: Just west of chaos and south of disaster.
CamelKarma: 45181

Charlie gave you some good advice as well!

www.kellylylephotography.com
www.centralillinoisweddings.com

"Opportunity knocks in vain if you don't reach out and open the door." K.C. Lyle
KellyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009   #5
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 5605

Thanks Kelly and Charlie

I just wanted to see what others thought. I've been drooling over a D700 and a few lenses. So far my "aftermarket" rather... "afterkit..." lenses consists of a 50mm 1.8. At the moment, I'm loving my very expensive hobby. Haha.

I thought I would tilt that cake straight also, it too irritates me.

And yes, I like my other photos much better. LOL.

I was actually very aggravated with my lack of experience and them askin' me to give it a try. They loved them though. For free, I'd hope so. I should probably find a photographer at least an hour away to learn from so I don't impose on their "territory" if I ever dabble in the wedding photog biz. Eh?

Thanks for the c&c.

WTB D700 and Nice set of Lenses

(C&C&K Always Welcome and Appreciated!)

Add me on Facebook

Royale Portraits
jrseyer is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Weddings »

Share this topic: