Gaezbo
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Weddings

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2009   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 145476
Editing OK?: Ask first
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Gaezbo

Here's another shot I did some selective coloring on. On this one the dress was alil blown out, so I made the bride & groom in B&W trying to save this shot. Also on the whole right side of this shot there was a building behind the gaezbo. The bushes on the whole right side and and behind the couple I cloned in. I'd like some CC on this one. PLEASE feel free to let me know if I can improve on this one.
Thanx

taat2d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009   #2
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 157982
Default Re: Gaezbo

Hey Joe, I'm going to be honest here. I don't care for the shot or the coloring. Now I feel I owe you an explanation of my opionion.

I only do selective coloring like once or twice a year. I use the Extreemly Selective, Selective Coloring Theory. Use it sparingly. Because,,,, you have to ask yourself.....why. What does the photo gain from selective coloring? It has a purpose, but only in very few images. I find that when photographers turn the people in their image to black and white, it kinda makes em look deadish. Anyway, in the image you showed, it looks really Photoshopped up. Do you have another shot of them where you were closer, more zoomed in, or cropped? Hope this helps! Feel free to ask more questions if you want.....Chris

If you always do what you've always done, You'll always have what you always had.
Brewyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009   #3
Vicuna

Thanx for your honesty Chris!! The only reason why I tried selective color on this one was because I blew the dress out. I tried to save it using the recovery slider in RAW, but that unfortunately didn't help. I kinda thought doing the couple in B&W would help me out in saving the shot.

Got any suggestions on what Ican do to get the dress back?
Old 02-27-2009   #4
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 157982

No problem Joe, I usually like it when someone gives it to me straight, it's how I learned. If you couldn't bring it back with the recovery, it's prolly gone. Once it's blown out to white..there is no more info to bring back.
Do you have any other shots from this scene? Next time, try to get a little closer, and in this case, more to the right. This would have not put the grooms head in front of her face. Get more parallel to them. I know how it is! You can't always get where you want to be, but we have to try. Thanks...Chris

If you always do what you've always done, You'll always have what you always had.
Brewyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009   #5
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 195
Editing OK?: Yes

I'm no expert so take the following with a grain of salt, but I agree that the image doesn't work for me. Since the dress is blown, you could try making the whole image b&w and then adding a diffuse glow to give an ethereal feel to it. Just a thought.
Old 02-28-2009   #6
Vicuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx_av8rs_girl View Post
I'm no expert so take the following with a grain of salt, but I agree that the image doesn't work for me. Since the dress is blown, you could try making the whole image b&w and then adding a diffuse glow to give an ethereal feel to it. Just a thought.
Can you go into a lil more detail about they effects you're mentioning? I'd really appreciate that.
Old 03-03-2009   #7
Camel Breath

Location: Mental State: Just west of chaos and south of disaster.
CamelKarma: 45181

For me, I would mute the other colors as well. Not take them all the way down, but I find the contrast disturbing.

www.kellylylephotography.com
www.centralillinoisweddings.com

"Opportunity knocks in vain if you don't reach out and open the door." K.C. Lyle
KellyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009   #8
Vicuna

Sure, first you want to either convert the whole image to b&w using whatever method you prefer or do as Kelly suggested and mute the colors which would work nicely as well.

For the diffuse glow in photoshop, go to the "filters" menu, and in the distort menu you will see "diffuse glow". You just play with the sliders to get the desired effect.

I hope that helps.
Old 03-03-2009   #9
Vicuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx_av8rs_girl View Post
Sure, first you want to either convert the whole image to b&w using whatever method you prefer or do as Kelly suggested and mute the colors which would work nicely as well.

For the diffuse glow in photoshop, go to the "filters" menu, and in the distort menu you will see "diffuse glow". You just play with the sliders to get the desired effect.

I hope that helps.
Thanx Kelly.

Thanx Erica. I'm gonna try playing around with that effect.
Old 03-04-2009   #10
Vicuna

Make sure to post your results!

Erica
tx_av8rs_girl is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Weddings »

Share this topic: