Had a wild idea for a couple portrait - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Weddings

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2017   #11
Llama

CamelKarma: 36120
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Had a wild idea for a couple portrait

Hmmmm. I guess I'm the lone dissenter on this one.

The idea/concept for this image was great. But for me, this image is not working. I know it's difficult to plan and take time to execute stuff during a wedding. Everything is rushed and everyone is stressed and all that. So I know you were pushed. But for me this image will need some tweaking.

A lot of people will like the juxtaposition of the elegant bride on a rusty boat, it's shabby chic and all that. Sneakers and a tux kind of thing, I get it. I'm not a big fan of that, but I'm willing to over look that. For me, there's a lot of other things in this image that need to be tweaked.

The out of focus grass in the front for me is a distraction. The pond scum/crud by the boat is off putting. The dead branches by the bride are also a distraction. All of that needs to be cloned out. It's too much information, and keeps pulling your eye all over the place leading to confusion. It's too much.

Now the reflections in the water are really nice, those need to be played up. Add more color more contrast, deepen/darken the areas around it. The colors in the foliage is nice, but needs to be played up, it's too muted. I know they're passed their prime, but they need a boost. These are the 'pretty things' in this image and they're crying out to be made nicer.

The rock pit in the back, just needs to be removed. It doesn't add anything nice to the image, and there's a lot of it. Maybe clone in some of the trees from the left. It's too big of an area to be looking that bad.

Finally, the lighting is just too uniform and flat. You're going to have to add drama. First off me, it's screaming to be made warmer. Play up the sunset. Add warmth everywhere, especially the sky and clouds. Then add areas of light and dark. Areas that are brighter and areas that are darker.

This image has a ton of potential. But you'll have to spend a fair amount of time on it to tweak it.

Nikon D800, D5500 IR 590nm, D50
nu2scene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017   #12
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 290264
Editing OK?: Yes

I agree with nu2sceen...the image is flat in lighting and color, horizon is not level and there are quite a few distractions. I can post an example with some changes if you like.
Old 12-21-2017   #13
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 438961

Don't sweat it. This image was an early version, straight out of LR, and what I delivered to the client was tweaked more than this version. Thanks for your thoughts.
Blad Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017   #14
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 438961

Someone photographed me while I was shooting this image. Reveals a bit of what I had to work with to create the image.

Blad Boy is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Weddings »

Share this topic: