PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum

PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum (https://photocamel.com/forum/)
-   Weddings (https://photocamel.com/forum/weddings/)
-   -   Bridal Portrait (https://photocamel.com/forum/weddings/231855-bridal-portrait.html)

Mark McCall 09-04-2017 07:01 PM

Bridal Portrait

1 Attachment(s)
My all time favorite thing to shoot in a bridal portrait, about an hour before dusk. I love being outside, finding just the right location, arranging the session.
I do not use tons of equipment, just a single Metz 45CL-4 on a lightstand, camera on tripod. No modifier, no softbox....just the flash and the clip on diffuser.

I rarely ever show the sky in my portraiture. I want to keep the contrasty-ness to a minimum so I select wooded areas with differing layers of depth of field.
I try to create a triangle using body and veil position.

No PS other than a vignette. NOTHING. There is no retouching of skin.

ShutterKlick 09-04-2017 07:24 PM

Re: Bridal Portrait

Excellent! I like your style, and your results speak for it's self!

Andrew

Mark McCall 09-04-2017 07:31 PM

LOL. My style is UBER traditional.
I've never cared for the sunflare look or the "just do your thing and I'll shoot" approach.

ShutterKlick 09-04-2017 08:25 PM

I hear ya... Every "freestyle" pose I ever shot looked like junk, if I pose them, then the picture is good. I hate posing because I am still pretty new to it.. and I hope my nervousness doesnt show. With time and more klicks, that will get better Im sure.

Andrew

alanbutler57 09-04-2017 08:44 PM

Just as it should be. Very well done indeed and thanks for sharing!

eosxt 09-04-2017 10:24 PM

Nice work Mark!!!
I always use an umbrella outside in situations like this, but this photo may just inspire me to leave the umbrella home next time. I'm guessing you get enough fill from the open shade to keep the lighting soft.

Mark McCall 09-05-2017 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eosxt (Post 2366583)
Nice work Mark!!!
I always use an umbrella outside in situations like this, but this photo may just inspire me to leave the umbrella home next time. I'm guessing you get enough fill from the open shade to keep the lighting soft.

I used to use an umbrella as well, but after years of shooting outdoors, I realized, I just didn't need it.
Ambient is main light, flash provided fill, about -2 stops under ambient, flash set at 90 from the camera angle.

pandora 10-25-2017 03:40 PM

A superb bridal portrait, Mark. All that a bride could wish for.

Didereaux 10-25-2017 04:55 PM

:afro::afro::afro:20-30 years from now there are going to be thousands of people wishing that there bridal/wedding photos looked like that instead of some faded, or over saturated comic book cover! WELL DONE!

Ahmed Mateo 10-26-2017 12:46 AM

OK. Now, that's a superb image. I'm out of words to qualify it, but it inspires me, I've got to take one like that some day.