What would YOU do?? - Page 3
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Weddings

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2017   #21
Llama

CamelKarma: 1112852
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: What would YOU do??

I don't do weddings but have been asked on numerous occasions by the bride or groom to be a backup to the "Pro or to shoot the whole thing. I always refuse politely telling them it is far to important of an event to trust to an amateur. Unfortunately, on several occasions I was told later that they wish I had taken their photos and that I couldn't be any worse.

I am not a "Pro" by any means but doesn't the bride and groom deserve some level of assurance, or perhaps insurance if you will, that this very special day will be captured beautifully so the world will later see the love and joy they shared with each other and their guests. After all, it's a one shot deal! The photographer gets no "mulligans".

Short of litigation against the original photographer I feel as long as they pay the bill for the person they hired then they should be free to buy from whoever they want. They are usually very desperate when things go wrong.

Just my opinion.
Old 10-26-2017   #22
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 5383739
Editing OK?: Ask First

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blad Boy View Post
Nice Images Mark Greenhill. Especially the last one.
Similar thing happened to me recently. Couple invited wife and I to be guests at their wedding. Both photographers were next to each other almost all night, chimping away, showing each other what they shot, and sat in the back row of the church for most of the ceremony. I have some shots that they missed, but have only sent them a few via Facebook. Think I'll just hang on to the rest, as the wedding was about 6 months ago, and they haven't asked for any more. Wouldn't be about making money.
Thanks for commenting. Being invited to be guests at their wedding gave you an advantage over the hired guns as obviously you were friends with the couple.

* mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill
pandora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018   #23
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 965208
Editing OK?: No

As more and more soccer moms, 'er I mean "professional photographers" enter the photographic scene with their "since I am an 'artist' I don't need to learn how to take meter readings or get good white balance, or pose people after all I have an automatic camera that does all of this and more" attitude we had better all get used to seeing more and more bad photography. I retired in 2012 and I see this kind of work every day on Facebook by the "pros" that have since sprung up.

Benji

P.S. Sell 'em your images that way they will at least have some good stuff.
In the end, people appreciate frankness more than flattery. Prov 28:23
Benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018   #24
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 438961

Don't you all wish people would use the title, "semi-pro" more often? It's used far too little. Let's start a movement!

End of rant.
Blad Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018   #25
Llama

CamelKarma: 3092286
Editing OK?: Ask first

[QUOTE=Blad Boy;2379944]Don't you all wish people would use the title, "semi-pro" more often? It's used far too little. Let's start a movement!

End of rant.[/QUOTE}

A bit like the English thatched cottage. everyone is a "master thatcher"
Photography is a blend of art and science which involves four stages. 1.Seeing - an eye for a picture, 2 Taking - aspects of camera craft 3. Making - post processing 4. Presenting - the finished article
I have studied photography seriously for over 40 years and digital imaging for 23 years and continue to do both. If ever I thought I had “arrived” or reached any sort of “standard” I would pack [it] in because what I would have reached was a plateau and would then probably be incapable of learning new things……I hope this never happens.
Leo Palmer

kennethwfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018   #26
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 1543000

To me the answer is simple and obvious. When you contract to do the video add a rider saying that for extra fee the client can purchase some of the production stills. No conflict with the main still photographer at all.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Weddings »

Share this topic: