Ok, I give up. Tell me
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Weddings

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2010   #1
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 2063
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Ok, I give up. Tell me

I read constantly that churches are dark.
Most churches don't let you use a flash.
Only a REAL photographer can shoot inside a dark church with no flash.

I thought, eventually, it would become obvious or someone would leak the information but, nope.

Ok, aside from a tripod and the fastest lens you have, and a moment when no one is moving so the picture will be utterly crystal clear, I give up, how DO you shoot a wedding in a dark church with no flash?
I also notice that there really aren't a whole lot of pictures of the ceremony ever. Is THAT the secret? Just don't bother?

Old 05-20-2010   #2
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 1474
Default Re: Ok, I give up. Tell me

Fast lens, High ISO

Canon 5D Mark II

Canon XTi
Canon 24-105 L IS
Canon 35 - 70
Canon 70 - 200
Einstein 640 Strobes (3X)
rlconklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010   #3
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 12371645

The ceremony is actually kind of boring. How many shots of someone standing still can you really expect to be purchased? Just the key points of the ceremony, and some random emotional shots. And a lot of ceremonies are only 15-30 minutes anyway.

There's lots of info out there for shooting in dark churches. You just have to spend a good bit of time searching it out.
Old 05-20-2010   #4
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 14721

Above is correct. Fast glass and high ISO, low DOF. Because you have to do this, you are going to end up with noise. NoiseWare is your friend. (We never use a tripod...it's too cumbersome)

Also, I find a lot of churches have horrifically red carpets which tend to "cast" the couple making it super hard to get it out. Normally I have to correct those on a layer.

Actually, I normally show a lot of ceremony shots, but quit doing so, because basically, they are boring.
littlegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010   #5
F1 Camel

LOL LillyRain. We must have been posting at the same time. Yeah really, how many shots do you need of two people standing with their backs to you. Hehe.
Old 05-20-2010   #6
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 157982
Editing OK?: Ask first

All of the above is correct and true! Fey, just for you, next time I post some wedding shots, I'll include some ceremony shots. Just for you....cause that's how I roll. LOL!

It's rare in most Churches to be allowed to go around the alter area so you can actually see the peoples faces, so most shots are of the backs! Well, I'd say around here, prolly 70% of the time I can't go around. Weddings in general run the gamut, I've had the ones where I had to stand in ONE spot!, don't move, ......all the way to, I asked the Pastor the "rules", he said, "If you need to stand on my shoulders to get the shot you want, just tap me and I'll crouch down while you climb up" !!!! That was awesome!
Thanks....Chris

If you always do what you've always done, You'll always have what you always had.
Brewyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010   #7
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 862
Editing OK?: Ask First

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeyMooncalled View Post
I read constantly that churches are dark.
Most churches don't let you use a flash.
Only a REAL photographer can shoot inside a dark church with no flash.
About 10% of the churches I shoot in are really dark
About 15% of the churches I shoot in dont allow flash
I guess it depends on what makes you a REAL photographer. Fast glass, image stabilization, High ISO, staging the important shots after the ceremony is over. Whatever it takes to get the shots.
Old 05-20-2010   #8
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 12371645

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlegal View Post
LOL LillyRain. We must have been posting at the same time. Yeah really, how many shots do you need of two people standing with their backs to you. Hehe.
LOL! I haven't done many weddings (about 8 or 9) and I learned really quick that you don't need 10 shots of the b&g looking at the minister. From behind. LOL
Old 05-20-2010   #9
F1 Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryG View Post
About 10% of the churches I shoot in are really dark
About 15% of the churches I shoot in dont allow flash
I guess it depends on what makes you a REAL photographer. Fast glass, image stabilization, High ISO, staging the important shots after the ceremony is over. Whatever it takes to get the shots.
It kinda depends on where you are. In the Deep Bible Buckle South, as I am, with a plethera of new photographers daily who do crazy stuff.....the rules are really tough.

I've had to stand on a ladder and shoot through a hole in the wall. I've shot from outside the church doors. I've been told photographers are not even allowed on the property.

BUT I've also shots some weddings where I got to shoot hidden inside the altar. At a Jewish wedding, I was invited into the Hoopa. (I know that is not spelled right...sorry!)

It's a crap shoot. You never know what hand you are going to be dealt. You just have to be there and do the best you know how to do, in conditions you have no control over.
Old 05-20-2010   #10
F1 Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Lily View Post
LOL! I haven't done many weddings (about 8 or 9) and I learned really quick that you don't need 10 shots of the b&g looking at the minister. From behind. LOL

You know LillyRain, that is so funny. So true and so funny.

I get kinda tickled about the whole church thing because most of the time, my couples hate that part. They just want to get all dressed up, and then go to the party and get good and drunk. They can't WAIT to get out of that church. It's like a means to an end for most of my couples.

For my peeps, it's ALL about the party.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Weddings »

Share this topic: