Luminosity Layer
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Tutorials

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2015   #1
Llama

CamelKarma: 1048898
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Luminosity Layer

This was Shared with me a while back ,So I thought I would pass it along as well .

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Firstly you must have a merged or one only layer to apply this to, as it has to work on that one layer, when you apply it is personal taste IMHO.

- You have your layer, now duplicate it.
- Click on the duplicated layer to activate it and then go to Channels. Here you will have an RGB layer, then three others, RGB.
- Now with you finger pressed on the CMD button, click on the RGB channel, 'marching ants' should then appear on the image.
- Click on the add mask icon in the bottom bar of the Layer palette. A B/W version will now appear next to the colour duplicated layer.
- Ensure the B/W icon is active, there should be white corner right angles visible, indicating this is ACTIVE.

Now here is the fun part, go to the Blend mode button in the Layer palette and scroll down to Multiply or Overlay, each blend will have it's own cause & effect, you choose! Then using the Opacity slider you can vary the amount required. You may now wish to add an adjustment mask and paint only the areas you wish this to be applied too.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I made two actions from this ,and mostly use the Multiply layer . I use it when I have a slightly over exposed frame ,Like when there is a sky or some water in the background that is light blue /almost white ,and I want it to be a more saturated blue . It also helps bring out some of the subtle colors in the Birds /subjects . I've seen it use on landscape ,But ,It doesn't work well on portraits , Due to over saturation in the skin tones .
I originally post this in the Bird Section of the forum ,and was asked to place it here as well .

(Before )After, all my normal edits dome in ACR

DSC_0443before by Clyde Hopper, on Flickr

(After ) Applying the Luminosity Multiply Layer Action

DSC_0443 by Clyde Hopper, on Flickr

Nikon D810 ,Nikon D90, Nikon 18-105mm,Nikon 50mm ,sigma 105mm ,Nikon 55-200 mm ,Nikon 70-300 ,Sigma 150-500mm.Sigma 150-600 Sigma 600mm sigma 1.4 -Tc .2x-tc.

Canon T2i ,Canon 18-135 ,Sigma 70-210
http://www.flickr.com/photos/keakaphoto/

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/...65895053421461
Clyde C Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015   #2
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1469207
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Luminosity Layer

Not too sure just what is going on here, but it sounds pretty much the same as halving the gamma of selected parts of your image.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Tutorials »

Share this topic: