Another Easier Action for Intense Color
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Tutorials

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2015   #1
Naz
Llama

CamelKarma: 20855
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Another Easier Action for Intense Color

The last extreme color process I posted was a bit convoluted- it works well, but it takes a lot of fiddling and a good deal of steps setting up the action- I tried osmethign different today which worked much easier- much fewer steps, and really gives a boost to color- although you will still have ot adjust the 'curves and hue' layers at the end

1: Open image

2: Duplicate image and rename it right off to something- anything- I chose "Colors" [You need to rename this so that it will work on future photos- otherwise it will be looking for the wrong name and won't find it- I'll explain a little more if someone needs it? but basically this rename process is a 'step' In the action that gets recorded and will play out in next photos you process as well- it will always rename it to same name-](Image/duplicate)

3: Change mode to CMYK (Image/Mode/CMYK)

4: Open you 'CHANNELS' Panel in you original document, and then in your CMYK document

5: In your CMYK panel- over on the right of the panels tabs is a down arrow- click that, and chose "SPLIT CHANNELS" (you will now have 4 open documents- one named "Colors C" (for Cyan) the next "Colors M" (for magenta) "Colors Y" (for Yellow)

6: Go back to original document- click on the "RED" Channel to activate just that channel

7: Go to "IMAGE/APPLY IMAGE"- and when that pops up a box- in the first dropdown box, choose "COLORS C" (you will see you red channel change slightly when you click ok) click ok

8: Now activate you "GREEN" channel by clicking it

9: Go to Go to "IMAGE/APPLY IMAGE"- and when that pops up a box- in the first dropdown box, choose "COLORS M" (you will see you green channel change slightly when you click ok) click ok

10: Now activate your "BLUE" Channel

11: Go to "IMAGE/APPLY IMAGE"- and when that pops up a box- in the first dropdown box, choose "COLORS Y" (you will see you yellow channel change slightly when you click ok) click ok

Almost done

12: Now duplicate your original document (necessary step in order to get the next two adjustment layers to register for some reason)

13: Click "CURVES ADJUSTMENT" down at bottom of panels by clicking "Create new fill layer or adjustment layer

14: Click HUE/SATURATION under the same button as previous step

Stop recording action

You will have to fiddle with individual colors in the hue/saturation adjustment layer, plus fiddle a bit with curves (I find I have to lift midtones pretty much usually

The colors don't seem quite as intense as my previous process- but this one still gives a pretty wild boost which you can adjust any number of ways=- It will give a pretty intense 3 strip Technicolor-like boost (although not exactly- but similar)

This was just quick- I would have to adjust color balance as well for final- but the above will give an idea of the color you can quickly get with a quick action- I actually had to dial down color quite a bit for the end result-

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Tutorials »

Share this topic: