Studio Portrait Lighting-A How To - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Tutorials

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2006   #11
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Studio Portrait Lighting-A How To

Hi Benji,

In your wide angle shot where is your background light? Very helpful by the way.

Stephen

sfyffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006   #12
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 965208
Editing OK?: No

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfyffe
Hi Benji,

In your wide angle shot where is your background light? Very helpful by the way.

Stephen
Stephen,

Thanks. The background light is placed directly behind the subject on a short light stand, aimed at the background. The reason you cannot see the stand is because the subject's body is completely hiding it.

I was taught that the background light should be brighter on the same side of the background as the main light is, but after trying it out I found that I prefer that it equally illuminate the entire background.

Benji

In the end, people appreciate frankness more than flattery. Prov 28:23
Benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006   #13
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 11

Benji,

Thanks for pointing me to this tutorial. New to me was the concept of the kicker light. I'm going to play around with that.

Regarding the catch lights issue that you directed me here about, I think the problem is that I've been placing the main light too high, based on your final photograph. I'm going to tweak around with that as well.

In the paragraph about the main light, I suspect there was a typo? In the last line, "The closer the light source is to the subject the softer the light appears." Didn't you mean the further the light source, the softer the light appears?

Leohr
Leohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006   #14
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 6260
Editing OK?: Yes

Benji, have you considered adopting the tool Photomatix for portrait work? It allows you to increase the dynamic range greatly. You can get some neat effects.
John Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006   #15
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 4939

HDRI allows you capture more DR than the camera can in a single scene by compressing and remapping contrast via bracketed exposures. It doesn't really increase the DR, per se. It's an appropriate tool when lighting is out of the photographer's control. Since lighting is controlled in a studio setting, this tool wouldn't necessarily benefit the the phtoographer. If an area is improperly lit, the photographer adjusts the lighting. If you look above, that is the purpose of the fill light, to make sure that the shadow areas aren't clipped.
Old 10-19-2006   #16
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 4385

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benji
A fill metered at 2 stops less than the main will give you approximately a 3 to 1 ratio of highlight to shadow.

Benji
2 stops is a 4:1 ratio 1 1/2 stops is a 3:1 ratio
http://www.vividlight.com/articles/1916.htm

grsphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006   #17
Photocamel Master

Agreed jfrancho. I use a hand held meter for all of my meter readings so this program would be of limited value to me, at least for portraiture. Maybe for weddings where ya gotta shoot fast though!

Benji
Old 10-20-2006   #18
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 4939

That might even be a tough act for HDRI, since the real power is through multiple exposures. You'd have to somehow mitigate subject/camera movement. I really love it for landscapes, archicture, and interior shots, though.
Old 10-20-2006   #19
Photocamel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by grsphoto
2 stops is a 4:1 ratio 1 1/2 stops is a 3:1 ratio
http://www.vividlight.com/articles/1916.htm

This is correct in a textbook situation with a 16 inch silver parabolic lighting modifier wiith barn doors, but according to master photographer Don Blair when using a softbox or an umbrella you will get "wrap around" lighting which tends to add some fill to the shadow side. That is why I put "approximately" in my posting.

Benji
Old 10-20-2006   #20
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 11

Thanks a great tutorial..Been looking for something like this!

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Tutorials »

Share this topic: