On the ground
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Transportation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2015   #1
Llama

CamelKarma: 1739774
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default On the ground

Most of the plane shots I get round to post processing are in flight shots. So these are a little different for me. Also I'm trying to learn lightroom and photoshop CC and finding it more than a little daunting. Any comments about the processing would be very welcome. All shots taken at Old Warden's October air show.

A Pitts Special - fly-in visitor, didn't display.
[/url] Pitts Special par dgmphoto, on ipernity

Seafire - naval version of the spitfire
[/url] Seafire par dgmphoto, on ipernity

Sea Hurricane
[/url] Sea Hurricane par dgmphoto, on ipernity

Hurricane
[/url] Hurricane par dgmphoto, on ipernity

Gladiator
[/url] Gladiator par dgmphoto, on ipernity

When I get some time I'll post some in flight shots from the show including the last full display from the Vulcan.

Old 10-12-2015   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: On the ground

The tone and tint seem a lot better in the first one than int he rest. Nice shots of some nice birds, but they need a bit of simple tweaks to make them pop more.

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015   #3
Llama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pickles View Post
The tone and tint seem a lot better in the first one than int he rest. Nice shots of some nice birds, but they need a bit of simple tweaks to make them pop more.
Thank you for the response - The first shot was taken in the morning and I used the de-haze feature in photoshop. The others were taken at the start of the afternoon. I had thought I had slightly over processed the 1st shot and that the others were more realistic. I'll go back and have another think about the processing.
Lightseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015   #4
Llama

I've had another look at the Seafire photo, comments on the result are very welcome.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0742smWebcopy4.jpg (109.5 KB, 63 views)
Old 10-14-2015   #5
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994

I looked at this image (last one you tweaked) and it just seemed greenish to me. So I took a few moments and tried a few things. it really is kind of a difficult image to picture in ones head and make it what you think might have been there. I always got some weird "color cast" in my vision. I did settle on this, but not sure it is exactly better. It still has a color cast to it to me, mostly too yellow or green in the grass.

240550d1444747173-ground.jpg

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015   #6
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 9679634

My attempt !
My first impressions were that all the photos were too light and somewhat washed out. It might be worth just copying my settings and see what they look like on your system. Some of these setting may not be appropriate if you are working from a "real" RAW file. Try it and see.
My settings were.

jpeg copy opened in Camera Raw.
ACR:
Clarity +48
Vibrance +21
Exposure - 0.7
Highlights - 38
Blacks +53

PS CC
Auto tone
Brightness -10
Contrast -8
Image flattened
Topaz De Noise 5 - just a touch
Unsharp Mask 57% at 1.8 pix

Finally - some manual light burning of the grass/trees.

Potentially, I think all of the photos are really excellent. I found it difficult to achieve what I was after, working from a 115K jpeg screen grab. I would love to have a go at these photos as 25M RAW files.

Of course the trouble is with Photoshop - there are 97 different ways to get from A to Z !!
moonrakerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015   #7
Llama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pickles View Post
I looked at this image (last one you tweaked) and it just seemed greenish to me. So I took a few moments and tried a few things. it really is kind of a difficult image to picture in ones head and make it what you think might have been there. I always got some weird "color cast" in my vision. I did settle on this, but not sure it is exactly better. It still has a color cast to it to me, mostly too yellow or green in the grass.
Thank you for taking the time to edit my shot. The colour of that plane is unusual, your edit does make the plane stand out more but the top of the plane is too purple.
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonrakerz View Post
My attempt !
My first impressions were that all the photos were too light and somewhat washed out. It might be worth just copying my settings and see what they look like on your system. Some of these setting may not be appropriate if you are working from a "real" RAW file. Try it and see.
My settings were.

jpeg copy opened in Camera Raw.
ACR:
Clarity +48
Vibrance +21
Exposure - 0.7
Highlights - 38
Blacks +53

PS CC
Auto tone
Brightness -10
Contrast -8
Image flattened
Topaz De Noise 5 - just a touch
Unsharp Mask 57% at 1.8 pix

Finally - some manual light burning of the grass/trees.

Potentially, I think all of the photos are really excellent. I found it difficult to achieve what I was after, working from a 115K jpeg screen grab. I would love to have a go at these photos as 25M RAW files.

Of course the trouble is with Photoshop - there are 97 different ways to get from A to Z !!
Thank you for your input. You may be correct about the exposure - as part of my post processing, I did up the exposure pushing the histogram to the right, perhaps I pushed it too far. - I'll have a play with your numbers.
Old 10-20-2015   #8
Llama

This is my final effort (probably). Comments welcome.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Transportation »

Share this topic: