Two suggestions
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Miscellany > Suggestions / Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2005   #1
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 80
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Two suggestions

One real, one only half hearted. You can pick which you think is which.

First - A totally OT section. People on boards like this tend to become friends and it is nice to be able to keep your friends updated if something is going on. Chances are, one of our members will have a car accident or a break-in or get engaged need help deciding on a breed of dog or something at some point and would like to let everyone know but can't really post it under general camera talk. What made me think of this is the fact that my husband is going in for oral surgery. He has a huge hole in his jaw bone that they don't know what caused it. They'll be doing a biopsy on it. They don't believe it is malignant, but I'm surrounded by cancer it seems and so my thoughts instantly go to that when I hear the word biopsy. Now it isn't something I'd start a post about on here. I don't know anyone well enough yet, but before too long I'm sure there will be friendships created on here and it would be nice to be able to share without clogging boards with OT stuff. The problem would be keeping it civil during elections and other things like that which can really polarize people. It would just have to have fairly strict but un-biased moderators at times, but I'd assume that for the most of the time it would remain friendly with no interferance needed.

Other suggestion. Change the "savant" stage. I can only think "idiot savant" and having been the person tortured by everyone in school up till I got to university, I tend to be self conscious about anything like that.

Sara

ellette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005   #2
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 61279
Default Re: Two suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellette
One real, one only half hearted.* ** You can pick which you think is which.*

First - A totally OT section.* People on boards like this tend to become friends and it is nice to be able to keep your friends updated if something is going on.* Chances are, one of our members will have a car accident or a break-in or get engaged need help deciding on a breed of dog or something at some point and would like to let everyone know but can't really post it under general camera talk.* What made me think of this is the fact that my husband is going in for oral surgery.* He has a huge hole in his jaw bone that they don't know what caused it.* They'll be doing a biopsy on it.* They don't believe it is malignant, but I'm surrounded by cancer it seems and so my thoughts instantly go to that when I hear the word biopsy.* Now it isn't something I'd start a post about on here.* I don't know anyone well enough yet, but before too long I'm sure there will be friendships created on here and it would be nice to be able to share without clogging boards with OT stuff.* The problem would be keeping it civil during elections and other things like that which can really polarize people.* It would just have to have fairly strict but un-biased moderators at times, but I'd assume that for the most of the time it would remain friendly with no interferance needed.

Other suggestion.* Change the "savant" stage.* I can only think "idiot savant" and having been the person tortured by everyone in school up till I got to university, I tend to be self conscious about anything like that.*

Sara
Both excellent suggestions. I have been thinking about both of these things. The "categories" of users I came up with rather quickly in the beginning. Can you think of something other than Savant? Other ideas completely would be fine.

How should I distinguish Open from the first board, which has become something of an Open board anyway?

Cool Camel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005   #3
Dromedary

Well, I think this would clear up the general board for more general photography questions as it is supposed to be (though obviously I'm not the sort who gets miffed at OT stuff no matter where it goes).

What would you like for the categories? I haven't looked to see what you had come after Savant...was it another S word? Are you wanting to have them all start with one letter or do you just want to indicate growing...umm...intelligence? What all do you have so far?

Sara

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin

Both excellent suggestions. I have been thinking about both of these things. The "categories" of users I came up with rather quickly in the beginning. Can you think of something other than Savant? Other ideas completely would be fine.

How should I distinguish Open from the first board, which has become something of an Open board anyway?

Old 08-18-2005   #4
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 61279

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellette
What would you like for the categories?*
I just don't know. These categories were conceived in a personal brainstorming session that lasted about 10 minutes.

Why don't we figure it out the way we do with some other decisions: vote!

Let's hash some titles out and then create a poll or something. I personally kind of like Sage at some level, and also Paval's Oracle is nice. We need 5 different levels. At least that's how many we have room for in the software, I do believe.

Jay
Cool Camel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005   #5
Dromedary

Works for me. Maybe have it open for a few days for people to get their slow brains working if they are like me, and quicker brains to come up with multiple options. Then, we can just have people comment on their favourites from the list, take the top 10 or so and vote on them to get them down to the 5.

Sara

ellette is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Miscellany > Suggestions / Questions »

Share this topic: