Too many forums?
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Miscellany > Suggestions / Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2005   #1
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 65
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Too many forums?

Hi Jay, I'm wondering if it might not be worth considering combining the Medium, Large and Film Camera forums into one forum? Since these area do not get all that much traffic on their own, combining them would combine what there is. Since most medium and large format cameras are still film cameras, it would make sense and the combined areas might spur more talking amoung those that post in these areas.

Just a suggestion.

Mike

mikej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005   #2
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 61279
Default Re: Too many forums?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jordan
Hi Jay,* I'm wondering if it might not be worth considering combining the Medium, Large and Film Camera forums into one forum?* Since these area do not get all that much traffic on their own, combining them would combine what there is.* Since most medium and large format cameras are still film cameras, it would make sense and the combined areas might spur more talking amoung those that post in these areas.

Just a suggestion.

Mike
Good idea. I'll do this unless I hear someone complain....

Thanks.
Cool Camel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005   #3
Guanaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jordan
Hi Jay,* I'm wondering if it might not be worth considering combining the Medium, Large and Film Camera forums into one forum?* Since these area do not get all that much traffic on their own, combining them would combine what there is.* Since most medium and large format cameras are still film cameras, it would make sense and the combined areas might spur more talking amoung those that post in these areas.

Just a suggestion.

Mike
Done. Looks better to me. Anyone object?
Old 08-04-2005   #4
Guanaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel
Jay, I counted 40 main items and I want to say some consolidation of the front page might be a good idea.* I think it's a few too many as well, there are some like the lenses that I think might be better under that brand name umbrella.
I'd vote for putting the anouncements and the suggestions under one heading and perhaps even the Canon stuff under just one as are all the other brands.* What do you think?
Okay, I'm all for simplicity. I'll send this to myself at home and think about it tonight. Thanks.

One thing I have to be careful of is that everyone has a suggestion, and if I jump on every suggestion (as I've sometimes done), there end up being not many people interested in it.

Thanks.
Old 08-04-2005   #5
Guanaco

Quote:
I agree, with that - that's the dilemma of being such a helpful guy
Perhaps it's best to be cautious with changes or additions until more people express a need - or problems come up over time?

Too much change isn't good - and it works well so far ... so I'm inclined to say lets leave it as is for now.* I just meant it as giving one opinion to the pile .... not to be acted upon.* does that make sense?* *It's getting kinda full, the front page ... but I doubt that anyone is experiencing too much difficulty ... so it's just something to watch for now. ?

hard to give suggestions, without feeling like we're demanding
It would be easy for me to create sub-boards, such as I have now with Compact Cameras.

I even like this idea, a lot, in theory. So there would be a Canon forum, and under that you'd have Pro Bodies, Prosumer, Lenses, etc, and a Nikon forum, with similar structure underneath.

It would look elegant. My concern is that sub-boards get lost, or that people don't want to navigate more than one level down before posting. Opinions?
Old 08-04-2005   #6
Guanaco

Quote:
I personally like the idea of everything in one heap.* The only problems with that come when the boards grow after a time but I think so many ideas are generic to canon, rather that just 1D's or 20D's that it has universal appeal to canonites to read through it all.* I wonder how the canon shooters view that?
Okay, I'll give it a go this evening.
Old 08-04-2005   #7
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 2079

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin
Quote:
I agree, with that - that's the dilemma of being such a helpful guy
Perhaps it's best to be cautious with changes or additions until more people express a need - or problems come up over time?

Too much change isn't good - and it works well so far ... so I'm inclined to say lets leave it as is for now.* I just meant it as giving one opinion to the pile .... not to be acted upon.* does that make sense?* *It's getting kinda full, the front page ... but I doubt that anyone is experiencing too much difficulty ... so it's just something to watch for now. ?

hard to give suggestions, without feeling like we're demanding
It would be easy for me to create sub-boards, such as I have now with Compact Cameras.

I even like this idea, a lot, in theory. So there would be a Canon forum, and under that you'd have Pro Bodies, Prosumer, Lenses, etc, and a Nikon forum, with similar structure underneath.

It would look elegant. My concern is that sub-boards get lost, or that people don't want to navigate more than one level down before posting. Opinions?
I agree with you Jay,

I think people would loose the lower forums also or not even go into the main forum because they thought it was not for them.
Old 08-04-2005   #8
Guanaco

Quote:
How about a poll in the canon forum for a couple of days, Jay?
I have to say that I don't like the compact camera setup - it's too scary or something
One pot for point and shoots for example - would be my vote
Sounds good. You want to create it?

Old 08-04-2005   #9
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 65

Jay, even if you don't do everything that is suggested, you are doing great at listening and considering it.

I agree that a little more consolidation might be helpfull right now but didn't want to give too many suggestions at one time. I'm glad others picked up on that though and brought it up. Talk about team work.

Thanks

Mike
Old 08-04-2005   #10
Llama

CamelKarma: 40

LOL. That's a funny smile thing, Mike.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Miscellany > Suggestions / Questions »

Share this topic: