A good deal
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Miscellany > Suggestions / Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2008   #1
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 50
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default A good deal

I am travelling to New York next week & will be buying a new camera,a couple of lenses,Flash & a bag full of accessorises.Total cost of about $3000.Because i am renewing most of my kit all at the same time & spending quite a lot of money can? I expect to get a discount or some sort of deal or will I just probably be charged the full price on everything....Would really appreciate some advice..John .. Thanks a lot

Old 11-08-2008   #2
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 271
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: A good deal

If you are going to B&H or someplace like it . . . probably no discount. You might try a smaller place maybe there you will have better luck. Still a place like B&H may offer a lower price.
My .02
JimFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008   #3
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 10673
Editing OK?: Ask first

They're all hurting right now with the economy. Make them bargain with you. There are plenty of camera stores in the area to play them off against one another.
Old 11-09-2008   #4
Alpaca

Thank JimFX & Brian.I checked out a large Camera Store here in Dublin & even though I would pay a lot more over this side of the Atlantic approx EURO4000 (Because of much higher Taxes)the shop immediately offered me a discount of 195 Euro & a choice of any camera bag in the shop FREE.was Just wondering if I could expect a deal over the other side of the big pond...John
jonnyboy470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008   #5
Alpaca

Well guys,went to B&H because everywhere else i tried was Mickey Mousing around with more expensive prices & doing deals but still ending up more expensive, not one of them stocked all the stuff i needed.Waste of time tramping round the streets of New York. B&H had everything I needed in stock under one roof & at the end of the day no one could beat their price.They wouldn't give me any reduction on the price.(Not one cent) saying its a superstore that they don't give reductions (but i reckon the price couldn't be beaten anywhere else anyway & they know it) They are real pros.Oh yeah ! & i don't like that local sales tax of 8.375% in NYC.That strained my budget.Was pretty satisfied though in the end, just a pity they didn't sweeten the deal somehow as gratitude for the business.Would have been really appreciated. ...John

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Miscellany > Suggestions / Questions »

Share this topic: