Glamour Forum Suggestion
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Miscellany > Suggestions / Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2006   #1
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1362
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Glamour Forum Suggestion

Hi All

This is just a suggestion - so don't shoot the messenger - just opening up a discussion point

The glamour / nude forum has had 25 requests for access this month but 19 of those members have posted 5 or less posts, which has resulted at a guess in a little bit of an admin issue. So what I was wondering is, SMF smart enough that a rule can be set on the Glamour forum that says something along the lines that when a member reaches a certain level they get access to the forum (dangerous point coming up ) shall we say for argument 100 posts

The conclusion to this is it would take some of the day to day admin overhead away - I know there will always be exceptions but may encourage members to post a little more rather than lurking

Just board at work so thought I would throw this in to the pot

Shortie standing back and waiting for the fall out

P.S. This is a disscusion point and I am not a Party Pooper**

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, but a few electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Shortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994
Default Re: Glamour Forum Suggestion

That forum is always gonna be the subject of attention or conversation. Be nice to limit the lurkers, and they probably get more lurkers than any (as long as the lurker has asked for permission).

Making people post first isn't a bad idea to me, but how many that do post in there, don't anywhere else here? Maybe the number should be lower than 100? Like 10 or something? They should at least introduce themselves you'd think.

Having it done "automatically" will cause admin overhead also, in reverse. There are and will always be folks who do NOT want access to it. So the admin would have to turn it off for them.

It would be nice if everybody that joined, actually posted. You have to join to see certain images, and you have to join to even get access to Glamour. If there was no Glamour forum, a lot of lurkers would leave. If lurkers could see every image, then less would join.

Slippery slopes all over here.

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006   #3
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1362

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pickles

Having it done "automatically" will cause admin overhead also, in reverse. There are and will always be folks who do NOT want access to it. So the admin would have to turn it off for them.
There is that point but to play devils advocate here if they can see the forum title they don't have to click it

I take your points in hand and if we can discuss them then we may find a solution - as I said just opening up a discussion - at the end of the day Camel may do nothing different but if the Board grows I can see the problem being magnified so maybe we should think about it now before it could become too late

Comments welcome as always

Shortie

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, but a few electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Shortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006   #4
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 428

I kind of like the idea that someone registers and the requests access; if the section mods can grant access as well as the admins, that distributes the workload a bit.

I know some of the guys that have posted recently wouldn't have bothered were they required to log 10 or 20 posts before getting access... but then again, they may prove to be transients that will go back to their old board once it levels off anyway.

I'm all for more participation but I don't think we can get sustained member participation in the general forums with that sort of incentive.

For me, the key to getting my attention is the subject line. If it's intriguing to me, I look, and if I look I'm more likely to post.

Like you said, just food for thought, I'm not really suggesting action of any sort.

Chip
Old 04-25-2006   #5
Jon
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 56
Editing OK?: No

I think a better approach/solution might be a sustained posting interval within the regulated boards. That way if yer gonna lurk, you've only got so long before you get booted.

Speak up, use it or lose it.

Scripting the function and hacking it into SMF will be another feat.
Old 04-25-2006   #6
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994

There is another site similar to this that regulates ALL members. Once you sign up, you have to post within 30 days. Whenever you do NOT post within 30 days, your login is locked out. The site Mods allow for vacations, illnesses, surgeries, etc., if ya let them know about it.

On one hand, it keeps there member numbers lower, which makes it seem like they don't have that many, but the ones they have actually post. Allowing some to float longer than the time limit seems like a Mod nightmare, but they only do it about 4 times per year last time I talked to the owner.

Lurkers can lurk without joining, but can't get to where every dog wants to go these days, if ya know what I mean.

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006   #7
Jon
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 56

Yah, I know what ya mean, I'm talking about the masturbators that join, get access, lurk, and don't contribute. I saw several first and second posts requesting access to glam, and never a thing posted in there.
Old 04-25-2006   #8
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 13

I originally posted this in the wrong place so to correct my mistake I will post it here.

I have found on other sites that people who contribute to glamour fourms will not contribute much when you start limiting access by making it hard for members to access.. I have noticed a script available for smf that would allow the members to make the glamour forum invisable if they want. This would allow the member to decide and not create a delay in access..
dthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006   #9
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 31196913

Lurkers never bothered me. What do I care if they're reading/looking at the boards without contributing? I'm more disturbed by the immature jerks that believe it's their right to post malicious, derogatory comments about the models
just because they can hide behind a cloak of anonymity on the web.
Old 04-25-2006   #10
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 428

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohenry
Lurkers never bothered me. What do I care if they're reading/looking at the boards without contributing? I'm more disturbed by the immature jerks that believe it's their right to post malicious, derogatory comments about the models
just because they can hide behind a cloak of anonymity on the web.
Excellent point, I totally agree.

I don't like the idea of the guys that come through caching every image and then posting them on some file sharing site though. No way to really handle that I guess though.

Chip

Blinky is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Miscellany > Suggestions / Questions »

Share this topic: