Focus, Lock, Recompose??
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Miscellany > Suggestions / Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2008   #1
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 4422
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Focus, Lock, Recompose??

Hi ! KellyL spoke, in another thread, about using the FLR system in all his pictures... and try as I might, I have not been able to find it on the world wide web (I have a feeling that I'm wording it incorrectly) to see just exactly how you do it...

I know that there are a gazillion of you out there that use this "system" and have the ability to share your knowledge with us noobs.

Can someone ANYONE! Please go into detail about this?? I understand the "theory" but maybe someone needs to speak to me like I'm a four year old and explain it in little words??

Thanks in advance for any who are willing to 'splain it to me...

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes its a quiet voice at the end of the day that says "Try again tomorrow" -Mary Anne Radmacher
angelsfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008   #2
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: Focus, Lock, Recompose??

Focus ,Lock, recompose ,and shoot
That's my way of doing
Julio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008   #3
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 391

Diana,

I am going to give this a try and hope it works. I raised a question about the FLR system KellyL mentioned and the result is a thread that I think answered your question. At least it tried. I am going to try to insert a link to the thread but I am such a dunce about these things that I may not only not get it right, I may mess everything up in the process

http://photocamel.com/forum/portrait...ce-kellyl.html

If that doesn't help, try searching for all my initiated threads. It was started three days ago.

Dave

PS It looks to me like it made it!

David Palmer
Poplar Bluff, MO
physicsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008   #4
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask First

This is the way I work 90 % of the time
I use canon and i focus with the button on the back of the body
Julio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008   #5
Llama

CamelKarma: 3083
Editing OK?: Ask first

Dianna, the first thing to do is to consult your camera's user manual to find out how to 'focus-lock.' I know for my Canon, it's just pressing the shutter down halfway (this can depend on the mode you're shooting in; I always shoot in Manual). So, I set the focus point (might need to look in your manual for this too), focus that point on my subject (usually their eye), press the shutter button halfway to lock that focus, then recompose my picture by slightly moving the camera to get the composition I want. It's that easy. Hope this helps.
12stones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008   #6
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 690429

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12stones View Post
Dianna, the first thing to do is to consult your camera's user manual to find out how to 'focus-lock.' I know for my Canon, it's just pressing the shutter down halfway (this can depend on the mode you're shooting in; I always shoot in Manual).
...mhhh, that needs some further specification: it depends on the 'AF-mode' you are in, which - in turn - can be subject to which 'shooting-mode' you are in: if you use the preset-modes (Portrait, Landscape, Sport, NoFlash and such) the AF mode is 'fixed', if you shoot Av, Tv, P, Manual then the AF-mode is yours to choose (OneShot, AI Focus, AI Servo)...

Quote:
So, I set the focus point (might need to look in your manual for this too), focus that point on my subject (usually their eye), press the shutter button halfway to lock that focus, then recompose my picture by slightly moving the camera to get the composition I want. It's that easy. Hope this helps.
...and If you slightly move the camera, make sure that you keep the focal plane at the same place: you can 'shift' the camera up or down, left or right, but you cannot 'tilt or pitch' the camera, as then the focal plane you AF-ed on will move too

Another method of FLR is to use the zoom ability if your zoomlens is parfocal (remains focused in all zoom positions): if that is the case, then zoom in (to maximum magnification) AF on subject, and zoom out again to get the composition you want, do NOT move the camera (or, as above, 'shift' it only left/right or up/down).

Kindest regards!

Max@Home

Canon PowerShot G1X MkII, Canon PowerShot G3X, some accessories (hoods, flashes, filters, tripod) and some knowledge to use them
Max@Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008   #7
Bactrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max@Home View Post
Another method of FLR is to use the zoom ability if your zoomlens is parfocal (remains focused in all zoom positions): if that is the case, then zoom in (to maximum magnification) AF on subject, and zoom out again to get the composition you want, do NOT move the camera (or, as above, 'shift' it only left/right or up/down). Max@Home
That erases some of my confusion! Part of what I was really wondering was how to zoom in, focus lock and then zoom back out again... I thought that it wouldn't remain focused on my subject... and what you are saying (if I'm reading it correctly) is that you have to have a specific lens to be able to do that, right?

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes its a quiet voice at the end of the day that says "Try again tomorrow" -Mary Anne Radmacher
Old 09-02-2008   #8
Bactrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by physicsguy View Post
Diana,

I am going to give this a try and hope it works. I raised a question about the FLR system KellyL mentioned and the result is a thread that I think answered your question. At least it tried. I am going to try to insert a link to the thread but I am such a dunce about these things that I may not only not get it right, I may mess everything up in the process

http://photocamel.com/forum/portrait...ce-kellyl.html

If that doesn't help, try searching for all my initiated threads. It was started three days ago.

Dave

PS It looks to me like it made it!

thanks Dave! I'll head over there and check it out! (good job, by the way... your link worked!)

Old 09-02-2008   #9
Bactrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12stones View Post
Dianna, the first thing to do is to consult your camera's user manual to find out how to 'focus-lock.' I know for my Canon, it's just pressing the shutter down halfway (this can depend on the mode you're shooting in; I always shoot in Manual). So, I set the focus point (might need to look in your manual for this too), focus that point on my subject (usually their eye), press the shutter button halfway to lock that focus, then recompose my picture by slightly moving the camera to get the composition I want. It's that easy. Hope this helps.
thanks! I've actually done this before... didn't know it had a name!

Old 09-02-2008   #10
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 690429

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelsfort View Post
That erases some of my confusion! Part of what I was really wondering was how to zoom in, focus lock and then zoom back out again... I thought that it wouldn't remain focused on my subject... and what you are saying (if I'm reading it correctly) is that you have to have a specific lens to be able to do that, right?
Yes, you have to have a specific *type* of zoomlens: they are called 'parfocal' because they remain in-focus (once focused, of course) when you zoom in - or out

Many - if not most - Canon L zoomlenses are made to be 'parfocal'. And it is very easy to test: camera on tripod, zoom in, AF, take shot, set AF to off (careful not to change lensposition), zoom out, take another shot, pixelpeep at 100% on computer: did the subject you focused on stay sharp ?

...0.02 more...

Kindest regards!

Max@Home

Canon PowerShot G1X MkII, Canon PowerShot G3X, some accessories (hoods, flashes, filters, tripod) and some knowledge to use them
Max@Home is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Miscellany > Suggestions / Questions »

Share this topic: