PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum

PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum (https://photocamel.com/forum/)
-   Suggestions / Questions (https://photocamel.com/forum/suggestions-questions/)
-   -   Flooding of Karma at the people/portrait board (https://photocamel.com/forum/suggestions-questions/58613-flooding-karma-people-portrait-board.html)

felix.reichardt 08-24-2008 09:04 PM

Flooding of Karma at the people/portrait board

Do we (on this board) give out too much karma? When I browse through mine and others karma I just have a feeling that maybe too much karma is given to fast or easy. I am not excluding myself from that :-) Should a karma not be something more special? In comparison to other boards we people here have extraordinary amounts of karma ... Just browse through your karma received if you are from this board and see if you do not feel the same.

Just a morning thought ... :)

Mr. Pickles 08-24-2008 09:14 PM

Re: Flooding of Karma at this board

The points are magnified here compared to other sites, but for some people, they probably hand it out quickly and others probably receive it quickly.

For some, karma isn't a show of greatness, it could be for being a good friend.

Rain Lily 08-24-2008 09:41 PM

I like giving karma. Sometimes it's for a great photo, sometimes for a nice effort or comment, sometimes for having the courage to post, sometimes because somebody told a funny joke...

Please don't make me stop giving karma! I LIVE to give!

;D

felix.reichardt 08-24-2008 09:48 PM

I do not think karma is a show of greatness but the amount of karma is just skyrocketing ... especially at this board - so to me the "value" is lesser. I would vote for a setting that one must spread out much more karma before giving it to the same person again (not sure what the current settings are).

As I said just a thought ...

felix.reichardt 08-24-2008 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Lily (Post 522768)
I like giving karma. Sometimes it's for a great photo, sometimes for a nice effort or comment, sometimes for having the courage to post, sometimes because somebody told a funny joke...

Please don't make me stop giving karma! I LIVE to give!

;D

You have so much karma you should give it to the poor .... hehehe. (you know I am just teasing you)

But seriously would you not appreciate a given karma much more if it is not not handed out at each and every occasion ... ?

patterfr 08-24-2008 09:57 PM

I wish someone would take my karma away, but I like giving it.
In reality, what does it really matter?
I'm still waiting to redeem my karma for a free coffee mug!

felix.reichardt 08-24-2008 10:07 PM

If it doesn't matter why not scrapping it at all ?

Free coffee mug only for 1.000.000 karma ... :-)

Rain Lily 08-24-2008 10:12 PM

Felix - I smile at every karma someone gives me. It delights me. And it delights me even more to give some.

I see what you mean - sort of like too much familiarity takes away the excitement, or something like that.

Honestly - even though I just said I smile at the sweet comments, and I like to give it, I only even notice how much karma I have when someone brings it up to me, like in this thread. I pay very little attention to my own numbers - I just like the nice comments most of all.

Rain Lily 08-24-2008 10:13 PM

But - I would trade it all for a coffee mug! I LOVE coffee...

patterfr 08-24-2008 10:14 PM

Felix: Fine with me, I'm giving you a karma for the idea.;-)

Rain Lily 08-24-2008 10:27 PM

Besides...I'm out to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!

(teehee! Who's seen Pinky and the Brain? Narf!)

felix.reichardt 08-24-2008 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patterfr (Post 522794)
Felix: Fine with me, I'm giving you a karma for the idea.;-)

PLEASE NOT ... :eek: I give you a little red dot just for the thought ...

Patzt 08-24-2008 10:55 PM

Interesting about the coffee mug. Is that written somewhere?

I've been away for awhile and I'm just trying to catch up.

Can you tell who gave you Karma or gave you a smite?

transcape5 08-24-2008 11:41 PM

Are we emphasizing the importance of quantity here? Shall we also discuss the importance of post count? LOL!

The truth is that my real life karma stinks. So I faked my way into this forum in hope to make up for it. :cheesy:

Seriously, it is simply nice to feel appreciated. But more importantly, it's better to let someone know that you appreciate them, whether it be their post or their comment. That's my view on this anyway.

Athena 08-25-2008 12:26 AM

I do love the karma system. What I would like to change about it though is the AMOUNT of each karma. When I give someone karma, WHAM! it's 35 points. I think that is ridiculous. Why should karma from me be any "better" than karma from a newer person? I wish every time we give karma it would be ONE point, no matter who is doing the giving. Karma equality. ;-)

felix.reichardt 08-25-2008 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Athena (Post 522844)
I do love the karma system. What I would like to change about it though is the AMOUNT of each karma. When I give someone karma, WHAM! it's 35 points. I think that is ridiculous. Why should karma from me be any "better" than karma from a newer person? I wish every time we give karma it would be ONE point, no matter who is doing the giving. Karma equality. ;-)

I also like the karma system in principle and I did not know there is a difference in the number of points given. I always thought its around 5 points no matter from who? Never really kept track though.

Again I would also vote that you have to spread much much more karma before giving it to the same person again.

I think giving a karma for whatever reason is fine but if it does not matter at all or we give away karma on whatever occasion then what's the purpose of having it at all? To me personally the idea of karma has lost a little "value" over the last couple of month or so. Sorry to say that but that's how I feel.

Austen 08-25-2008 01:28 AM

Here a "K"...There a "K"...Everywhere a "K"

Am I guilty of giving too much Karma ? Possibly....

But I just like giving and helping others, as I'm sure many around here do too !!

If someone's done a good job in making me smile, teaching me something, putting up a photograph or post that I appreciate, I feel that giving a touch of "K" is a good thing to do to say "Thanks" :afro:......

In my life I try to practice a "Random act of kindness" each day, giving "K" is to me, just an extension of that.

And anyhow, You could always look at it from the point that in some small way it helps cut down on the "Thanks" posts :tongue:

One member certainly appreciates it.....He has a "Give me "K" " Sig...

Take care,

Austen.

felix.reichardt 08-25-2008 02:33 AM

So what I understand by searching is that the higher your karma count plus somehow your post count the higher the points you receive.

So given that and how karma is distributed on this board first members will soon be in the 10000 points while equally valuable members from other boards stay in the lets say 1000's. Then what's the point anyway? Are we nicer, friendlier, better or simply give it out too easy?

Athena 08-25-2008 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by felix.reichardt (Post 522879)
So what I understand by searching is that the higher your karma count plus somehow your post count the higher the points you receive.

The amount you GIVE is calculated by post/karma count. That is the part I find fault with. I think it should be one point per karma regardless of who does the giving. A newbie or a pro, karma shouldn't play the old boys game. But that's just my opinion...one of many. ;)

Austen 08-25-2008 02:49 AM

Mr Pickles Says ........

This is what Mr Pickles says here

My emphasis in red ....

***QUOTE***

Here at PhotoCamel, we have a fun feature [fun...] called Camel Karma. Sometimes it is just called Karma.

It is nothing more than a fun [definately just a fun thingy..]"rating system" to let people know that you are helpful, and how helpful. Obviously, it doesn't work unless people understand it, and use it. So, here goes an attempt...

To the left of each post is a "User Pane" that contains the User Name, maybe an Avatar (picture), the user registered date, etc. Also in there (at the bottom) are Icons that typically look like these:

http://photocamel.com/forum/attachme...escription.jpg

The actual Karma icon is the 2nd one. It looks like an old time "balance scale".

If there is a "helpful" or similar post [something you like] by an individual, you can give them Karma by clicking this icon. It will open a small dialog asking whether you "Approve" or Disapprove" with their post, and a short description why. Obviously, the disapprove portion should be used after careful consideration.

When each user looks in their Control Panel, they can view their Karma. By clicking the Karma link message, they will be taken directly to the post that was used in the creation process. Very handy, and fun too. [I think it's a "fun" feature]

When you receive Karma (new users start with 10 Karma points), typically along the top of the PhotoCamel site (to the right of the Camel logo), the bottom line will display in bold, with a new Karma number, indicating new Karma for you.

Now, there are limitations. You can't just give the same PhotoCamel member Karma after Karma. You have to wait and Karma others too. This tends to stop someone from having 10 posts, and 1000 Karma points.

Also, depending on your involvement [more involvement, more "authority"] here at the Camel, when you give Karma, it may be more than 1 Karma point. The more posts you make, the more your Karma Power grows. So you may be more powerful than you think.

Hope that explains this small but fun part of PhotoCamel. And don't forget, if you don't want to give Karma, but want to recognize a good thread, you can use the "Rate Thread" drop down in the upper right of each thread topic (below the POTW). We'll discuss that in another thread.

Have fun, and give some Karma when you see fit. [When should you give Karma ?? When you see fit !!!] :-)

Thanks.

***END QUOTE***

Austen.

felix.reichardt 08-25-2008 02:58 AM

Athena - I'm with you. Ho much is my karma "worth" let me try and bother you with a karma ... hehehe.

Ok before 3313 now 3333 (congrats btw) so my karma is worth 20 points at the moment .... not so bad ... :-) Did not know I am such an authority (kidding).

Eero Makela 08-25-2008 03:08 AM

I am thinking of giving everyone in this thread more karma ;D

felix.reichardt 08-25-2008 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eero Makela (Post 522890)
I am thinking of giving everyone in this thread more karma ;D

Go ahead but dont forget I can hit you with 20 ... :tongue:

Eero Makela 08-25-2008 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by felix.reichardt (Post 522894)
Go ahead but dont forget I can hit you with 20 ... :tongue:

DONE hope I did not miss anyone.

felix.reichardt 08-25-2008 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eero Makela (Post 522899)
DONE hope I did not miss anyone.

Nice try ... :cheesy:

"Don't tell Felix !!!! Austen." Austen - you are banned from receiving karma for 1 month. :-) :-)

Rain Lily 08-25-2008 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by felix.reichardt (Post 522928)
"Don't tell Felix !!!! Austen." Austen - you are banned from receiving karma for 1 month. :-) :-)

You read my karma notes! teehee!

Now there...wasn't that fun?
;D

Austen 08-25-2008 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by felix.reichardt (Post 522928)
Nice try ... :cheesy:

Austen.

(Just 29 seconds worth ;) )

felix.reichardt 08-25-2008 07:41 AM

Not sure who moved this thread but my intention was to discuss this at the portraits/people section specifically. Anyway ...

eastley 08-25-2008 07:46 AM

Anyone who helps me gets karma, or gives C & C on my pictures.

Johnny Perkka 08-25-2008 09:02 AM

I agree with felix's thoughts on this one. I don't mind people giving buddy karma, but I would prefer people giving stars/karma/photographer credibility points instead for good photos.. I'm sure it's nice to be nice and pat people on the back for being nice, but I'm kinda sorta more interested on how my photos rate rather than knowing what kind of person I am (and I'm quite aware of my aura)...

Anyway, since this has been moved to the suggestion forum I gather that it is under consideration, at least?

Athena 08-25-2008 09:10 AM

I give karma out for photos that really wow me, for photos that I know the person put a lot into, for marked improvement, for awesome responses and for going out of your way to help me with something. I give smiles out much more freely (visual, real life karma), but you'd have to be here for that. ;-)

k9ofkaos 08-25-2008 12:08 PM

I am probably the most guilty party here for giving out Karma. I like to give it out. I think it is another tool, other than just kind words that I can use to encourage, not just friends, but new posters as well. I can currently give out 23 points of Karma. I like being able to do that. I like to see other's Karma counts increase.

As a by product others have been generous to award me Karma. I always feel humbled to receive it every time and no matter who from. I am one of the lesser skilled photographers here, but I like to help however I can. Giving Karma is just one of those ways.

I think the problem is not that portraits/people gives too much. I think it is that other forums give too little. You take a guy like Dakota Ken. He is easily one of the best guys on this board. He ought to have enough Karma to buy the world right now, but he doesn't. Our paths don't cross that often, but when they do I make sure to leave him a little something. I'm just baffled why others haven't.

My plea is this. Please don't take away my ability to give my Karma. I know I am less deserving of having lots of it than most here, but I'm glad I have it because I can give it back. I love to give.:) (Disclaimer: loving to give does not extend into the realm of finances.)

patterfr 08-25-2008 12:47 PM

Why not include a rating system where you can ask people to rate your picks or a forum for rating pics or judging pics. The old "whipping Post" thing that has been brought up before.
I think the K thing is working. Maybe Mojo is right, maybe others aren't giving enough!

Ellbee99 08-25-2008 01:35 PM

I agree with Mojo, Fran, Austen and Sis. I enjoy getting "K" but, even more I love giving "K." My "K" is worth 19 points...I figure it is a way to bless someone in a big way. I give the same amount now as I did when it was worth 1 point, why should my giving change because I can give more? ???

It is a fun thing why make it more complicated than it is?

Athena 08-25-2008 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patterfr (Post 523164)
Why not include a rating system where you can ask people to rate your picks or a forum for rating pics or judging pics. The old "whipping Post" thing that has been brought up before.
I think the K thing is working. Maybe Mojo is right, maybe others aren't giving enough!

You can rate photos with the stars at the top of each thread under, "Rate Thread". I think some people use it to express how they feel about the text in the thread and others use it to express how they feel about the images. Not sure which is right or if either have to be right. It's there if you want to use it though. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ellbee99 (Post 523199)
It is a fun thing why make it more complicated than it is?

You make a good point Lori. One karma one point would be far simpler. ;-)

Steven G Webb 08-25-2008 06:26 PM

I use the Karma as my personal baramoter of how effective I am being in aiding my fellow Camalians. Lord know's I have a large enough ego, I don't NEED someone to pat me on the back. It is a nice way for me to know that someone got some use out of my endless chatter. Now and then I run across someone who says something that rubs me the wrong way. I look up their Karma comments to get feedback and evaluate before I draw an opinon of their views of things. If used properly it makes a decent baramoter both for self and another.

dougsmit 08-25-2008 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Athena (Post 522881)
I think it should be one point per karma regardless of who does the giving. A newbie or a pro, karma shouldn't play the old boys game. But that's just my opinion...one of many. ;)

Do I recall correctly that Karma was once an equal opportunity matter and some of us objected when the current system was started but being a relative newbie it was clear than the only opinions that counted were those with smellier levels of camel under their name. I suppose there is something to be said for putting more weight on an opinion of someone who has been into this business/hobby/obsession for more than a week or two but I'm not sure that the number of atta-boy and other two word posts is the correct way to tell the knows from the knows-nots. As far as I'm concerned, the correct answer is provided by Athena .... I value her opinion not because she has a lot of posts but because she has a lot of really fine photos and has gone out of her way to share them with us.

felix.reichardt 08-25-2008 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Athena (Post 523419)
You make a good point Lori. One karma one point would be far simpler. ;-)

I'm in for that .... maybe the karma gods hear us ??? :) I think that would also help to avoid to build up such skyrocketing karma amount in the peoples/portrait section in such a short time.

Austen 08-25-2008 07:36 PM

Maybe those of us who like / appreciate the Karma system as it is should continue to use it, those who don't like it could put a line in their Sig.....
Please note..Karma not given or wanted.

:tongue::tongue::tongue:

Austen.

brian.austin 08-25-2008 07:48 PM

It's not like anyone is forced to participate or pay attention to it.

If you like it, have fun with it. If you don't, ignore it. It's not going to hurt if you don't play.

felix.reichardt 08-25-2008 08:20 PM

That's not the point Brian and Austen. I started the whole thread to actually question whether we need a "pat on the back" for postings/comments/etc each and every day among ourselves or maybe add more "value" to the karma by giving it more "carefully".
(and don't take the words "value" and "carefully" to serious please).

But as it has been said - the perception and of the karma "value" is different so it is probably not that important at all :-) and really more of a fun thing.

Suggestion:

Sometimes I would like to get/give more of a in-depth image analysis in order to improve so maybe an introduction of some picture rating system would be nice? Maybe with a list of multiple choice (ranging from exposure to composition) as well as free comment boxes. And limit each person to enter only one image per month or so?

patterfr 08-25-2008 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by felix.reichardt (Post 523484)

Suggestion:

Sometimes I would like to get/give more of a in-depth image analysis in order to improve so maybe an introduction of some picture rating system would be nice? Maybe with a list of multiple choice (ranging from exposure to composition) as well as free comment boxes. And limit each person to enter only one image per month or so?

Second the motion, in another forum so that to post there means you'll accept any and all critique.

brian.austin 08-25-2008 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patterfr (Post 523495)
Second the motion, in another forum so that to post there means you'll accept any and all critique.

We've had this conversation before.

Any photo posted is up for critique. Period. Don't like it? Don't post.

felix.reichardt 08-25-2008 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patterfr (Post 523495)

I accept any and all critique for all my images posted as Brian says. But an option to get a more in-depth critique would be nice. So you really have to answer some questions (like composition, lighting, etc) rather than getting comments like "nice image.

Johnny Perkka 08-26-2008 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by felix.reichardt (Post 523518)
I accept any and all critique for all my images posted as Brian says. But an option to get a more in-depth critique would be nice. So you really have to answer some questions (like composition, lighting, etc) rather than getting comments like "nice image.

Exactly, that "Nice shot!" and "wow!" commenting is so irrelevant if it does not have any explanation with it to go.

A star system on the picture basis should not be that hard to implement (and don't tell me the camel gallery has allready got one, I know, but who has time to wade through the gallery).

1-5 stars under the picture, how hard is that? And it would be anonymous so you would not have to be worried about losing you camel inner circle buddies (or feel obligated to give five stars to your friends even if you hated the picture).

How about it?

And brian, I remember you wanting more comments in the glamour section a year ago, so why are you opposing this? (I know, just for kicks, 'cause you like to be in the opposition). ;)

Austen 08-26-2008 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brian.austin (Post 523462)
It's not like anyone is forced to participate or pay attention to it.

If you like it, have fun with it. If you don't, ignore it. It's not going to hurt if you don't play.

Well said !! Have some "K" :afro:

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

Austen.

brian.austin 08-26-2008 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Heinonen (Post 523622)
And brian, I remember you wanting more comments in the glamour section a year ago, so why are you opposing this? (I know, just for kicks, 'cause you like to be in the opposition). ;)

No, I'm just usually right when most others are wrong. People are getting used to it, though. ;D

I never said anything against more advanced critique. It's part of the reason I don't post many images anymore. No critiques unless I complained about it. It wasn't worth the effort any longer.

What I AM against is a devoted forum specificially FOR critiques. That's the subject that's been discussed a number of times. Yet another place to lose a thread or crosspost. The organization works well enough as it is.

Athena 08-26-2008 12:36 AM

Johnny - go to the top of this page and click where it says "Rate Thread". You will have the option there to choose how many stars you want to give this thread. You could use this same function on threads that have images. :)

felix.reichardt 08-26-2008 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Austen (Post 523625)
Well said !! Have some "K" :afro:

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

Austen.

Man you understand the karma game ... you gained a lot through this thread ... 8):azn::eek::afro::cheesy:

Mr. Pickles 08-26-2008 06:46 AM

Like Athena said twice in here, use the Thread Rating system that ALREADY exists.

It is a drop-down at the top of EVERY thread. I have advocated numerous times to have the words changed for each of the stars, but it falls on some deaf ears....probably because it is used 1% of the time. If you all use it, we will change it to make it better.