Flooding of Karma at the people/portrait board - Page 4
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Miscellany > Suggestions / Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2008   #31
Photocamel Muse

CamelKarma: 61445
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Flooding of Karma at this board

I give karma out for photos that really wow me, for photos that I know the person put a lot into, for marked improvement, for awesome responses and for going out of your way to help me with something. I give smiles out much more freely (visual, real life karma), but you'd have to be here for that.

Facebook Page like?

Google+ add?
Athena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008   #32
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 542743
Editing OK?: Yes

I am probably the most guilty party here for giving out Karma. I like to give it out. I think it is another tool, other than just kind words that I can use to encourage, not just friends, but new posters as well. I can currently give out 23 points of Karma. I like being able to do that. I like to see other's Karma counts increase.

As a by product others have been generous to award me Karma. I always feel humbled to receive it every time and no matter who from. I am one of the lesser skilled photographers here, but I like to help however I can. Giving Karma is just one of those ways.

I think the problem is not that portraits/people gives too much. I think it is that other forums give too little. You take a guy like Dakota Ken. He is easily one of the best guys on this board. He ought to have enough Karma to buy the world right now, but he doesn't. Our paths don't cross that often, but when they do I make sure to leave him a little something. I'm just baffled why others haven't.

My plea is this. Please don't take away my ability to give my Karma. I know I am less deserving of having lots of it than most here, but I'm glad I have it because I can give it back. I love to give. (Disclaimer: loving to give does not extend into the realm of finances.)

War Eagle
k9ofkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008   #33
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 4373975

Why not include a rating system where you can ask people to rate your picks or a forum for rating pics or judging pics. The old "whipping Post" thing that has been brought up before.
I think the K thing is working. Maybe Mojo is right, maybe others aren't giving enough!

"It's all meaningless unless you know what it means"- Unknown
patterfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008   #34
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 113410
Editing OK?: No

I agree with Mojo, Fran, Austen and Sis. I enjoy getting "K" but, even more I love giving "K." My "K" is worth 19 points...I figure it is a way to bless someone in a big way. I give the same amount now as I did when it was worth 1 point, why should my giving change because I can give more?

It is a fun thing why make it more complicated than it is?
Ellbee99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008   #35
Photocamel Muse

CamelKarma: 61445

Quote:
Originally Posted by patterfr View Post
Why not include a rating system where you can ask people to rate your picks or a forum for rating pics or judging pics. The old "whipping Post" thing that has been brought up before.
I think the K thing is working. Maybe Mojo is right, maybe others aren't giving enough!
You can rate photos with the stars at the top of each thread under, "Rate Thread". I think some people use it to express how they feel about the text in the thread and others use it to express how they feel about the images. Not sure which is right or if either have to be right. It's there if you want to use it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellbee99 View Post
It is a fun thing why make it more complicated than it is?
You make a good point Lori. One karma one point would be far simpler.

Facebook Page like?

Google+ add?
Athena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008   #36
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1206139

I use the Karma as my personal baramoter of how effective I am being in aiding my fellow Camalians. Lord know's I have a large enough ego, I don't NEED someone to pat me on the back. It is a nice way for me to know that someone got some use out of my endless chatter. Now and then I run across someone who says something that rubs me the wrong way. I look up their Karma comments to get feedback and evaluate before I draw an opinon of their views of things. If used properly it makes a decent baramoter both for self and another.

Facebook

Camel Equine Group

My Equine Album

Fireworks Album

Steven G Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008   #37
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 19805

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena View Post
I think it should be one point per karma regardless of who does the giving. A newbie or a pro, karma shouldn't play the old boys game. But that's just my opinion...one of many.
Do I recall correctly that Karma was once an equal opportunity matter and some of us objected when the current system was started but being a relative newbie it was clear than the only opinions that counted were those with smellier levels of camel under their name. I suppose there is something to be said for putting more weight on an opinion of someone who has been into this business/hobby/obsession for more than a week or two but I'm not sure that the number of atta-boy and other two word posts is the correct way to tell the knows from the knows-nots. As far as I'm concerned, the correct answer is provided by Athena .... I value her opinion not because she has a lot of posts but because she has a lot of really fine photos and has gone out of her way to share them with us.
Old 08-25-2008   #38
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 228901
Editing OK?: No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena View Post
You make a good point Lori. One karma one point would be far simpler.
I'm in for that .... maybe the karma gods hear us I think that would also help to avoid to build up such skyrocketing karma amount in the peoples/portrait section in such a short time.
Old 08-25-2008   #39
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 6930

Maybe those of us who like / appreciate the Karma system as it is should continue to use it, those who don't like it could put a line in their Sig.....
Please note..Karma not given or wanted.

Austen.

A Canon 40D and a wife who loves me.

Have you visited my SmugMug page yet ?

More gear then talent....But now that I have some L Glass ...... I NEED more practice and experience !!!

(Have you tried pressing the Preview Post button when posting ?)
Capitalisation is important.
I helped my Uncle Jack off a horse.
I helped my Uncle jack off a horse.
Austen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008   #40
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 10673
Editing OK?: Ask first

It's not like anyone is forced to participate or pay attention to it.

If you like it, have fun with it. If you don't, ignore it. It's not going to hurt if you don't play.

brian.austin is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Miscellany > Suggestions / Questions »

Share this topic: