Flooding of Karma at the people/portrait board - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Miscellany > Suggestions / Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2008   #11
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 12371645
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Flooding of Karma at this board

Besides...I'm out to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!

(teehee! Who's seen Pinky and the Brain? Narf!)
Old 08-24-2008   #12
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 228901
Editing OK?: No

Quote:
Originally Posted by patterfr View Post
Felix: Fine with me, I'm giving you a karma for the idea.
PLEASE NOT ... I give you a little red dot just for the thought ...
Old 08-24-2008   #13
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 21
Editing OK?: Ask First

Interesting about the coffee mug. Is that written somewhere?

I've been away for awhile and I'm just trying to catch up.

Can you tell who gave you Karma or gave you a smite?
Old 08-24-2008   #14
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 77753

Are we emphasizing the importance of quantity here? Shall we also discuss the importance of post count? LOL!

The truth is that my real life karma stinks. So I faked my way into this forum in hope to make up for it.

Seriously, it is simply nice to feel appreciated. But more importantly, it's better to let someone know that you appreciate them, whether it be their post or their comment. That's my view on this anyway.
Old 08-25-2008   #15
Photocamel Muse

CamelKarma: 61445

I do love the karma system. What I would like to change about it though is the AMOUNT of each karma. When I give someone karma, WHAM! it's 35 points. I think that is ridiculous. Why should karma from me be any "better" than karma from a newer person? I wish every time we give karma it would be ONE point, no matter who is doing the giving. Karma equality.

Facebook Page like?

Google+ add?
Athena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008   #16
Photocamel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena View Post
I do love the karma system. What I would like to change about it though is the AMOUNT of each karma. When I give someone karma, WHAM! it's 35 points. I think that is ridiculous. Why should karma from me be any "better" than karma from a newer person? I wish every time we give karma it would be ONE point, no matter who is doing the giving. Karma equality.
I also like the karma system in principle and I did not know there is a difference in the number of points given. I always thought its around 5 points no matter from who? Never really kept track though.

Again I would also vote that you have to spread much much more karma before giving it to the same person again.

I think giving a karma for whatever reason is fine but if it does not matter at all or we give away karma on whatever occasion then what's the purpose of having it at all? To me personally the idea of karma has lost a little "value" over the last couple of month or so. Sorry to say that but that's how I feel.
Old 08-25-2008   #17
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 6930
Default Here a "K"...There a "K"...Everywhere a "K"

Am I guilty of giving too much Karma ? Possibly....

But I just like giving and helping others, as I'm sure many around here do too !!

If someone's done a good job in making me smile, teaching me something, putting up a photograph or post that I appreciate, I feel that giving a touch of "K" is a good thing to do to say "Thanks" ......

In my life I try to practice a "Random act of kindness" each day, giving "K" is to me, just an extension of that.

And anyhow, You could always look at it from the point that in some small way it helps cut down on the "Thanks" posts

One member certainly appreciates it.....He has a "Give me "K" " Sig...

Take care,

Austen.

A Canon 40D and a wife who loves me.

Have you visited my SmugMug page yet ?

More gear then talent....But now that I have some L Glass ...... I NEED more practice and experience !!!

(Have you tried pressing the Preview Post button when posting ?)
Capitalisation is important.
I helped my Uncle Jack off a horse.
I helped my Uncle jack off a horse.
Austen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008   #18
Photocamel Master

So what I understand by searching is that the higher your karma count plus somehow your post count the higher the points you receive.

So given that and how karma is distributed on this board first members will soon be in the 10000 points while equally valuable members from other boards stay in the lets say 1000's. Then what's the point anyway? Are we nicer, friendlier, better or simply give it out too easy?
Old 08-25-2008   #19
Photocamel Muse

CamelKarma: 61445

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix.reichardt View Post
So what I understand by searching is that the higher your karma count plus somehow your post count the higher the points you receive.

The amount you GIVE is calculated by post/karma count. That is the part I find fault with. I think it should be one point per karma regardless of who does the giving. A newbie or a pro, karma shouldn't play the old boys game. But that's just my opinion...one of many.

Facebook Page like?

Google+ add?
Athena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008   #20
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 6930
Default Mr Pickles Says ........

This is what Mr Pickles says here

My emphasis in red ....

***QUOTE***

Here at PhotoCamel, we have a fun feature [fun...] called Camel Karma. Sometimes it is just called Karma.

It is nothing more than a fun [definately just a fun thingy..]"rating system" to let people know that you are helpful, and how helpful. Obviously, it doesn't work unless people understand it, and use it. So, here goes an attempt...

To the left of each post is a "User Pane" that contains the User Name, maybe an Avatar (picture), the user registered date, etc. Also in there (at the bottom) are Icons that typically look like these:

The actual Karma icon is the 2nd one. It looks like an old time "balance scale".

If there is a "helpful" or similar post [something you like] by an individual, you can give them Karma by clicking this icon. It will open a small dialog asking whether you "Approve" or Disapprove" with their post, and a short description why. Obviously, the disapprove portion should be used after careful consideration.

When each user looks in their Control Panel, they can view their Karma. By clicking the Karma link message, they will be taken directly to the post that was used in the creation process. Very handy, and fun too. [I think it's a "fun" feature]

When you receive Karma (new users start with 10 Karma points), typically along the top of the PhotoCamel site (to the right of the Camel logo), the bottom line will display in bold, with a new Karma number, indicating new Karma for you.

Now, there are limitations. You can't just give the same PhotoCamel member Karma after Karma. You have to wait and Karma others too. This tends to stop someone from having 10 posts, and 1000 Karma points.

Also, depending on your involvement [more involvement, more "authority"] here at the Camel, when you give Karma, it may be more than 1 Karma point. The more posts you make, the more your Karma Power grows. So you may be more powerful than you think.

Hope that explains this small but fun part of PhotoCamel. And don't forget, if you don't want to give Karma, but want to recognize a good thread, you can use the "Rate Thread" drop down in the upper right of each thread topic (below the POTW). We'll discuss that in another thread.

Have fun, and give some Karma when you see fit. [When should you give Karma ?? When you see fit !!!]

Thanks.

***END QUOTE***

Austen.

A Canon 40D and a wife who loves me.

Have you visited my SmugMug page yet ?

More gear then talent....But now that I have some L Glass ...... I NEED more practice and experience !!!

(Have you tried pressing the Preview Post button when posting ?)
Capitalisation is important.
I helped my Uncle Jack off a horse.
I helped my Uncle jack off a horse.
Austen is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Miscellany > Suggestions / Questions »

Share this topic: