Schemes / Width
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Miscellany > Suggestions / Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2005   #1
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 288
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Schemes / Width

I have noticed that my 830 x 630 pixel pictures do not fit into the default layout scheme. This is my favorite format, because it is the optimal (max) width fitting in most forums. It seems to fit into the "classic" scheme however, but not many people seem to use that one over here
This brings me to the point that the default scheme does waste the most space on the left side of the posting. Would it not be better to optimise that one for max width viewing ?

Example:
http://www.photocamel.com/index.php/topic,627.0.html

Old 07-30-2005   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994
Default Re: Schemes / Width

That is a good question, but may make admin folks cringe. I think this whole site is based off of "template" software that is available. Therefore, the admins probably have their hands tied to some extent.

You have to keep in mind, and it is hard to believe, that a lot of folks still use 800x600 monitor resolutions. A 830 wide image won't fit anyway.

Another thing that I have seen, is people steal your 800-plus images, and print them as 4x6's. While it doesn't sound like it would make a great print, using software like QImage (I use it for ALL my printing), an 830x630 image can make a really good looking 4x6. I just post a 700-wide one and let it go. On sites like PBase, you can post the 830x630 size, and PBase will automatically offer the viewer a small, medium, and large size, as well as your original (posted) size. I think the large is 800x60.

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005   #3
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 288
Default Re: Schemes / Width

Looking at a monitor with a higher resolution then my 15" laptop screen (1024 x 76, it looks like OK.
However 1024 x 768 seems to be used the most according to my web stats* :-\

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Miscellany > Suggestions / Questions »

Share this topic: