Help with this application (vBulletin)
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Miscellany > Suggestions / Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2008   #1
Llama

CamelKarma: 2356
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Help with this application (vBulletin)

Where does one download a user manual for this forum software (vBulletin SEO)? Looked everywhere, couldn't find help files.

I am specifically interested in knowing what happens when a forum is subscribed to. I am familiar with subscribed threads, but not forums.

Ultimately what I would like to do is this: when logging on, get a listing of only forums I read daily. For example, I might not be interested in the Nikon hardware forum (and would like to eliminate it from the list of forums) but am interested in the Canon hardware forum (and would like to see it in the list).

Is this possible and/or how does subscribing to forums work?

Old 06-16-2008   #2
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1930
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Help with this application (vBulletin)

I believe that would be an option that the administrator of the site would have to enable if it is possible.
Lyle A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008   #3
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 10673
Editing OK?: Ask first

"Subscribing", with this version of software and hacks/plug-ins used, refers only to e-mail notifications, not local filtering. Subscribing to a forum will get you e-mails for every posting in the forum.

There are ways to filter based on forum preferences but it requires modifications made by the administrators, not users. I haven't seen that functionality here.

One thing the admins might consider going is allowing a "Mark Forum Read" mechanism from the New Posts search. I've seen it on other vBulletin sites.
Old 06-16-2008   #4
Llama

CamelKarma: 2356
Editing OK?: No

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian.austin View Post
"Subscribing", with this version of software and hacks/plug-ins used, refers only to e-mail notifications, not local filtering. Subscribing to a forum will get you e-mails for every posting in the forum.

There are ways to filter based on forum preferences but it requires modifications made by the administrators, not users. I haven't seen that functionality here.

One thing the admins might consider going is allowing a "Mark Forum Read" mechanism from the New Posts search. I've seen it on other vBulletin sites.
Thanks, appreciate it. I can see now that subscribing to a forum really doesn't do much, as you say. I picked a low activity forum to test and subscribed to it to see what happened. Absolutely nothing.

It would be a really nice feature to either enable here (if it exists) or add to the application the ability to mark forums visible / invisible.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Miscellany > Suggestions / Questions »

Share this topic: