PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum

PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum (https://photocamel.com/forum/)
-   Suggestions / Questions (https://photocamel.com/forum/suggestions-questions/)
-   -   A Forum For Kids (https://photocamel.com/forum/suggestions-questions/40522-forum-kids.html)

guyfromtor 01-24-2008 04:06 PM

A Forum For Kids

I have 2 girls 10 and 7 and they are beginning to get into photography and they see me posting my photos and they would like to the same.

I am suggesting we have a forum for kids where they could share their photos and we (as adults knowing this is a kids' forum) would keep things positive and in terms that they are young and are experimenting and don't have their photography skills developed yet.

A good or bad idea?

Bunny N 01-24-2008 04:17 PM

Re: A Forum For Kids

I think that is a fabulous idea. Kids these days need every bit of help they can get to keep them interested in learning wholesome activities. Photography is an excellent path.

brian.austin 01-24-2008 04:31 PM

Not a bad idea but it's going to require a closer eye for moderating purposes. Some critiques can be fairly harsh if the critiquer (is that a word?) doesn't recognize the target audience.

Kosherpaparazzi 01-24-2008 05:30 PM

Well that sounds interesting. I agree with Brian, it will need to be highly Moderated. Kids take comments and critique very personally.

I wonder what the higher-ups (i.e. JDart, Rense, Paul...) think about this.

zero rc 01-24-2008 05:31 PM

i also think this is great idea!! i had a professor who was a brilliant man who said you never truely understand something until you can explain it to an 8 yr. old! i think it would be great for the kids to see their pics on the net plus get feedback and good for the seasoned shooters too because it would give us a fresh perspective. like brian said, it would have to be very carefully watched. but i for one would make it someplace i check out regulary!!

JDArt 01-24-2008 05:35 PM

I'll take this up with some of the moderators and get back to you.

easypickings 01-24-2008 06:30 PM

great idea...I don't have kids but it would be interesting to see a child's perspective or approach to a subject.

JDArt 01-24-2008 09:22 PM

Okay, the moderators talked this over. It's a good idea, but you have to understand that you don't just generate a special audience by opening a board. It takes hard work. Right now this forum is geared toward photography enthusiasts and pros, all coming together and getting along pretty well, and no one here has the time or inclination to go out and try to round up an entirely new audience.

There's also the question of whether that's even necessary. Kids have participated and can particpate in the forums we currently have, and they are welcome. One of our longest-running threads, in fact, was started by a 12 year old. So designating a forum specifically for kids seems unnecessary. If a youngster comes along and announces him/herself, posting a picture, then we're all quite sure that this friendly photo forum will react appropriately. Bring the kids aboard, if you like, but let them participate along with the adults. The adults here are adult enough to treat them appropriately.

Kosherpaparazzi 01-25-2008 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDArt (Post 334138)
One of our longest-running threads, in fact, was started by a 12 year old. So designating a forum specifically for kids seems unnecessary.

which thread is that? :o

I just realized that having a forum for children may (heaven forbid) lead to exploitation. I don't want baddies stalking and luring children.

dougsmit 01-25-2008 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kosherpaparazzi (Post 334488)
I just realized that having a forum for children may (heaven forbid) lead to exploitation. I don't want baddies stalking and luring children.

In one sense, it would seem enough if members of young age were identified as such by their name so critics could apply the softer glove but this same protection would be a flag to 'baddies'. Inever considered the possibility of some registered members being 12 but we do have a tool available to suggest that we might take it a bit easy on beginners. Generally I assume that someone with 1000 posts is big enough to take care of him/herself but try to be more positive with someone having 10 posts. Certainly this might shortchange a Pro with 50 years experience who just joined Camel but usually their posted pictures or level of questions will give them away. Similarly, I know 12 year olds who are a power of ten ahead of their parents in technical matters and believe they should participate in the regular forum on a basis equal to their skill. Perhaps, instead of a 'kids' forum what we need is an 'admitted newbie' forum where it is understood that criticisms are kept positive and we are to make no assumptions that the poster understands the basics and that we should offer suggestions as we would if we suspected the poster might not know they can change the shutter speed.

A good point could be made for why it is ever necessary to post nasty comments but there can e a fine line between offending one poster and boring another. Obviously it is never appropriate to say a picture could be improved by getting a cuter kit or a more glamorous model (although I have questioned the need for shooting ragged winged butterflies) but to be helpful we have to be free to point out potential matters that could be improved. I'm not sure that there is need for an age based forum if we are correct in our interpersonal skills. If I were 12, I'm not sure I would prefer to frequent a forum where I would be talked down to (like I were eight or where I could only expect to hear \'great shot\' when I knew fair well that my image needed help. I suspect a kid forum would struggle with more advanced \'kids\' preferring the regular versions. Photographers have a bad rep from paparazzi and artistic snobs who are firmly convinced that their way is the only way. Perhaps the answer is to ask them to go to the special \'nasty\' forum rather than creating a special safe zone. I rather feel that Camel is a reasonably pleasant place for something named after a beast with bad breath and attitude.