A need.....
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Miscellany > Suggestions / Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2008   #1
Former Camel

CamelKarma: 460
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default A need.....

This forum NEEDS a catagory wherein HONEST and COMPETENT critiques are encouraged. And the frequent mindless, empty toading crap is severely discouraged....

Here's an idea how it might work: Only Approved members could offer critiques on images. Approval would be given to members desiring to be critiquers by a panel of the Mods. Any member wanting to be approved would submit their CV to the mods, along with a number of images. The Mods would then approve, or not, the member on that basis.

In this way, anyone posting an image would be assured of at least a competent critique by other photographers with an acknowledged level of expertise......and the level of empty, vacuous praise should dry up quickly, and be replaced by crits of some value......so. What'ja think?? Regards, Bob

Old 01-09-2008   #2
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 4939
Default Re: A need.....

Learn how at home!

Learn to Critique Photography
Old 01-09-2008   #3
D.Rodgers

CamelKarma:

I agree Bob to an extent.Though i have mentioned this in another thread already and it was not readily excepted.
I think there is to many friendly posts and not enough serious critique.
We all traffic forums so someone better then us will hopefully give us some needed advise.
I'm on the verge of paying for feild contributer dues to be published in some nature rags to get some exposure,but am not sure if my images are up to that standard yet.
Would love to have my images ripped to shreads,at least i would know what i am not doing right.
Old 01-09-2008   #4
Former Camel

CamelKarma: 460

So, John......perhaps that dvd could be made a mandatory part of 'qualifying' a member. Not enough by itself, but I really think such a thread would have real value.......

Thanks David for your thoughts.....lets see if anyone else bites....Bob
heartseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008   #5
Camel Breath

I was kidding, sort of. Your "competent" criteria has me wondering how that could be measured. The other piece is that personal opinion seems to be percieved as a big part of real critique. Not so, at least in the case of a professional critique, much of the "critique" focuses on the technical aspects of the piece, in an attempt to define the technicals behind it and why the photographer made the choices he/she did in making the picture. A great part of it is objective. That's not to say, you can't pepper your opinions throughout. Usually at the very end does the critic offer their personal feelings about the picture.

So many "critiques" here are along the lines of, "Nice shot, but I'd move the subject is centered," or "the horizon is in the middle," or "I'd go for more saturation, contrast, too sharp, too soft...." blah blah. Its what I call the "I'd do the opposite of you" critique, which isn't a critique.

The stuff that I've seen break it out into Camera Technicals, Composition, Color, Contrast, Print, and Artistic Merit and Personal Opinions.

Obviously, paper, matting, and mounting cannot be critiqued online, but the way the picture is process for the web can be. Things like size, jpg jaggies, sharpness, correct profile can be easily commented on. All the rest holds true.
Old 01-09-2008   #6
Camel Breath

This isn't the original link I was thinking of, but it works too: Visual Language I, fall 2005, Jane D. Marsching or visual language 2.
Old 01-09-2008   #7
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 93884
Editing OK?: Ask first

if they really wanted to do that it would be up the adminstrator or modder.
then how many would join if they had to meet with such stiff guidelines?

Then the pros should be the one to be admited and not the amature or the novice user.

Phot Camel was design for all walk of life from pro to newbie.
Old 01-09-2008   #8
Llama

CamelKarma: 229974

I think that you have an interesting idea here. What I've seen here is a fair amount of "Good shot" "Oh great job" when the image really wasn't anything special. This does prevent hurt feelings, but doesn't really help the photographer improve.

I belonged to a camera club back in the 80's while attending photography school. In photography school, the critique was tough, but we learned a lot and our work got better. The camera club was just the opposite. Most of the photographs entered into a print competition were undeserving ribbon winners. The judges were rewarding mediocrity and most of the members went home with smiles on their faces believing that their work was really something special. After all, they had a 1st or 2nd place ribbon to prove it.

Your idea for choosing judges seems reasonable. What about the images that theses judges would critique. Do they have to be up to a certain standard before they could be entered into the "shredding critique thread"? Maybe this would be self regulating because a lot of members wouldn't want to risk having their work torn to shreds.

How could one prevent others from commenting and critiquing in that thread? Does the person entering their work have to agree not to get nasty about these comments? Would it really work? Photographers and artists become very attached to their creations and can become quite defensive when they disagree with harsh critique of their work.

There are definitely pros and cons to this idea. Lets hear from some more members.
Old 01-09-2008   #9
Camel Breath

Quote:
What I've seen here is a fair amount of "Good shot" "Oh great job" when the image really wasn't anything special.
There are even more that deserve the pat on the back though too. Sometimes, that's all that can be said.
Old 01-09-2008   #10
Llama

CamelKarma: 229974

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrancho View Post
There are even more that deserve the pat on the back though too. Sometimes, that's all that can be said.
I should have included that in my post. Yes, there are a lot of very good images that do deserve positive comments.

One on one is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Miscellany > Suggestions / Questions »

Share this topic: