A need..... - Page 3
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Miscellany > Suggestions / Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2008   #21
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 272
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: A need.....

OK, I am defnitely not at the level of many of the members but do have some input. I have probably learned as much from reading critques of others work as I have from critiques of my work.

I think you can determine the "credentials" of the person making the critique by what is said. I got a little carried away on one of J Francho's because I did not even consider what was necessary for printing the image. IMO, that demonstrated my lack of "credentials".

Sometimes "nice job" is the best I can come up with. And that brings me to a subtopic, is the image not judged "in the eyes of the beholder?"

I have "critiqued" some members who are far and away superior to me but have always tried to add "IMO"

I think Tom, (NEM) does a fantastic job in Landscape - I feel he tries very hard to make valuable suggestions that will help the poster. I find most of his work admirable but have not hesitated to tell him about what I don't like. Again IMO.

Am a bit ambivalent about the "whipping post" but for those who feel they are not getting an "adequate" critique from a "credentialed" person, it might work.

Personally, I determine the person's credentials on the basis of what I have seen of their work. If it is really someone I would like to emulate, then their critique of my postings mean much more. But I still like "Nice job", or "you are improving"

Just some Saturday afternoon ramblings
ljh34465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008   #22
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 15232
Editing OK?: No

Quote:
And well spoken...

Project4145

Lee4145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008   #23
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 8523012
Constructive Critique?: No

Having critique on photo's is not so easy. A while ago I came up with this system.

More important than critique is in my point of view that we teach and learn other people. And I can ALWAYS learn from EVERYONE.

So i'm not in favor of a mod selected crowd of critiques(wo)men. I think we need more crafstman to carry the art of photography further.
Old 01-12-2008   #24
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 272
Editing OK?: Ask First

what a great link, Rense. Think I am going to print that , put it in a page protector and duct tape it to the back of my camera

Will certainly make me think about what I am doing before clicking the shutter.

Sort of the antithesis of "Nice job"
ljh34465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008   #25
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 8523012
Constructive Critique?: No

in that case you only need to print out the table of contents
Old 02-23-2008   #26
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 429
Editing OK?: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartseye View Post
This forum NEEDS a catagory wherein HONEST and COMPETENT critiques are encouraged. And the frequent mindless, empty toading crap is severely discouraged....

Bob
Speaking for newbies, noobies, clueless photo takers (if not allowed to be called photographers, I call myself simply hobbyist when people ask me)... "mindless, empty toading crap" is a little bit harsh to say so but if that's how you term it, so be it. Nevertheless, it is inevitable for most newbies due to lack of technical knowledge. Not everyone around you is a PRO like you. I don't mind "Nice shot" sort of comments neither do I mind honest and bold critiques because I want to learn. If my images aren't C&Ced, then I will try next time and will keep trying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljh34465 View Post
Very well said and agreed.

I'm off to take my son to see some dolphins and see if can catch some "nice shots".

Cheers,

GwnNVRe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008   #27
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 4373975

No one asked me, but I thought I'd put in an opinion from one who has recently begun to enjoy all a forum like this has to offer. Heartseye has a good point I believe. I don't know much about photography, but I do know that there are different levels of ability/training/experience in all we do.

Suppose we were talking baseball: Something I would consider that I know a fair amount about. Suppose I was coaching a Tee-ball game and saw a 5 year old little boy stop a grounder to him, but he didn't know which way to throw, I would think "Nice play, not bad little dude, you made the stop, now next time you have to throw the ball to 1st base." Suppose I was then the manager of the Yankees, and they were leading in a 2-1 game with a man on 2nd, 2 outs, bottom of the ninth with a weak hitter on deck. The man up to bat hits a slow roller to third. The third baseman charges it, fields it, and decides not to throw to first because he's feels he wouldn't get the guy out anyway and is afraid that if he overthrew the first baseman the tying run would score so he chose not to throw. Basically both examples are the same. Grounder to third, the third baseman fields it and doesn't throw to first. (stay with me, I think I'm gonna make a good point.)

Now a really good baseball coach(analogous to an honest and competent photography critic) would know why the Yankee third baseman didn't throw, would be able to realize that the third baseman must be a smart player and would say "Nice play" whereas the unknowledgeable fan (or bad critic) might say "Why didn't that bum throw to first." Similarly a good T'ball coach(again analogous to a good critic) would realize that the little kid made a good play for his level just by stopping it. And him saying "good play" at that point would be a "good critique" and would not be toadish, or meaningless drivel.
So that a really good critic should know things so well that they may offer the occassional "nice capture" when a hack like me posts a reasonable shot, not necessarily get giddy and swoon all over me. Yet the same good critic when he sees a fantastic shot may say "Nice, I might have raised the camera up a little." The hack will be happy that he got a little encouragement and that he showed some improvement and the good photographer will be happy, because he knows the person critiquing knows what he's talking about and will take in the critique from a good critic.
The bottom line is,again in my very humble opinion, this all works very well here. I think that is why this is what it is. Now a harsh critique doesn't mean it's a good critique and a friendly encouraging critique doesn't mean it's a bad critique either. So to dismiss the "good shots" as meaningless drivel isn't totally accurate. What i would suggest then is that the "experts" should have a forum amongst themselves, but strive to "lurk" less and critique more. Since, in education, people learn more by example than by telling them what to do. What I mean by that, if a well thought out critique by someone like yourself is given more frequently, then the number of good critiques by others will increase as well I believe.

My suggestion is that the moderators of each forum could suggest a photo be posted to the "whipping post" as they see fit. It wouldn't have to only be great pics, maybe bad pics that have a lot of things not to do where a formal critique would point these out and lots of people could learn.
......oops, I hear the bell, now I'll go take my medication.

"It's all meaningless unless you know what it means"- Unknown
patterfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008   #28
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 4939

Nice idea, but a bad idea. I don't want their decisions to fall into the realms of the subjective. They would be better served leading by example, as they have pretty much done since the beginning.

In fact, I'd rather their "moderator" status be even more transparent, and that the long list of names with this status get pared down. There's a whol' lotta' dingleberries in the mod list that should be snipped free.

The whole point of this forum was to be a place where the users could speak their mind while being civil without fear of being banned.
Old 03-07-2008   #29
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 4373975

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrancho View Post
There's a whol' lotta' dingleberries in the mod list that should be snipped free.

The whole point of this forum was to be a place where the users could speak their mind while being civil without fear of being banned.
I post my crap in the peoples/portraits mostly, and I haven't noticed any dingleberries except maybe my own. You guys that have been around awhile are smart and will make the best decisions as you know what the original ideas were. But the idea of less lurking and more critiquing by the really knowledgeable you gotta give me is a good suggestion

"It's all meaningless unless you know what it means"- Unknown
patterfr is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Miscellany > Suggestions / Questions »

Share this topic: