" Critique opinions "
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Miscellany > Suggestions / Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2007   #1
Former Camel

CamelKarma: 886
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default " Critique opinions "

Hi Folks... This might fall in line with Worms Post on HDR in this thread..

but my question is again on Critique?? I really just noticed that for example the Landscape thread says, and basically all threads say-----> " Display and discuss landscape and travel photography."" or whatever the thread?? Nothing about Critique?? maybe thats a given, not sure? but its worded to also be a given , that someone doesn't want critique..??

I sometimes feel a bit uncomfortable leaving my 2 cents, when the poster may only want to show ( display ) or ( Discuss ) his/her recent trip to Lake Erie Not to hear what I think of composition, or technicals

I still feel the need for a Critique Thread, a thread perhaps titled Photo Critique.. A place where ANY Style Photo, ( With Exception to the Nudes ) can be placed and open for Critique?? Naturally again , soft critique, sensible, and not this pic sux!

As Worm has mentioned, the HDR section seems a bit slow, I also feel the Architectural thread is a bit slow... and as Worm mentions some people post HDR in other threads to receive comments I think with a Critique Forum, and option of placing any work in it, you as a poster are putting your specific shot up for review... Its cut and dried, Here It Is , What Do you Think... but even an HDR in a Critique Section , should be entered as such, leaving no guess work for the commenter.. I think all of us from time to time have a particular photo that really doesn't quite fit a thread , not sure where to post it, but we want comment or critique...and people post in a thread that is moving and active for this reason....

I think a thread such as this would work?? A flat out plain and simple place to drop off any style photo...with the understanding of both poster and commenter, Why this photo is here.. Really eases the mind of the person putting in the 2 cents...

I know, still going to hear the comments ---> I thought thats what we had now ?? I think this would take away from other specific threads , such as portraits/landscape/ Arch/ etc..?? or if someone wants critique they should ask when posting ?? Ok, lets go with the , The Poster should ask for Critique when posting... A lot of times , a poster might say for example, " Heres my shot of Mount Jones, and I know the sky is a bit over exposed, but what do you think of the shot ?? Well, this is like SONAR, now everyone keys in on the sky!! And comments range from , Sky Blown, to Sky Over exposed , to jus , you need to use a polarizer ?? all good , but all keyed?? if posted in a Critique, nothing needs to be mentioned, other than , Heres Mt. Jones , in Plainsville Vt. ""
I think people will still post in other specific threads... I know, I would post some lets say in Landscape just for General Comment, and also for a stronger review, post others in a Critique?? I also feel it would be a fast moving forum, as well as a busy one !

I don't know , maybe I'm wrong on this, and think everything is working just fine.. but I'm also a bit tired of the Guilt Feeling after leaving Critique on a possible photo , that actually was posted just to share?

Hey , I'm a Happy Camper , just the way things are now... just looking for a way to Beef up some threads, and again my biggest point is leaving my 2 cents on a photo placed in a forum just for display, or sharing

Old 09-03-2007   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 61045
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: " Critique opinions "

Tom,

You started a similar post in this section before and honestly thought at that time when I read it, that it would take away from the other forums.

However, After thinking about it more and noticing more and more that some of my pics, yours, and many others pics don't get the honest critique in the negative department. It's usually something like great shot or outstanding work. Something like that, but don't get me wrong, It's awesome that people find the pictures great and awesome and I love reading all comments!!!! And perhaps some people on write a comment if they like the photo?

But, I'm sure their are some elements that could be improved?? Everybody has room for improvement no??

On that same note, when I post a pic that is not so good, it just doesn't get any comments, or very little.

I've pretty much gone with the assumption that if the comments are very slim then the pic is not so good for some reason but I can't see why, because people wont give a negative, or constructive feedback. It's also possible that they just don't care for it, and don't really no what is wrong with the picture?? It can be scary to say you don't like something in a picture that you think is technically good, but is just missing something?? I can totally understand that!

I also have felt that guilty feeling your talking about posting a critique on a photo that is unclear weather they want a critique or not. Then after I give a few suggestions or improvements thoughts, the poster never replies?? That usually makes me think I offended them to some degree?? That also makes me less likely to post a critique next time.

The few people that specifically ask for it I always try and leave some thoughts weather the pic is good, great, or just so so IMO.

basically what I'm saying is that after thinking about the stricky critique forum for a few weeks, I think it's a good idea!

It really shouldn't hurt anybody who chooses to ask for critiques from there regular Camel buddies in the appropriate forum I don't think, because most people who post in Landscapes or portraits for example will still go there regularly as it's there favorite area??

I could be totally wrong on this, and My opinion has certainly changed on this subject.

I do think it's an idea worth trying out at least.

Best,

Jay

SonyAlphaLab.com
Now On Google+

Jason Hermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007   #3
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 16
Editing OK?: Ask First

On another forum I frequent, instead of having a separate forum for critique, they have just started a tradition that if you want honest critique, you put "RIA:" in front of your subject. RIA stands for Rip It Apart.

I think something similar to that here would allow those people who are looking for this kind of critique to let everyone know, and still keep everything separated into it's own forum based on subject matter.
silentrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007   #4
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 61045

Thats not a bad idea

Jay

SonyAlphaLab.com
Now On Google+

Jason Hermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007   #5
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 862

I pretty much feel when someone posts a picture in a forum that is for commenting on said photos that they typically want other people's ideas of ways they can improve an image. There are two main reasons why I post an image. 1) To illicite comments because something about it is striking me for some reason and I would appreciate some more eyeballs on it to help me figure out what it is. 2) I have taken an image that I think is unique, different, or uses an uncommon technique and I want to share what I did to create the image.

The third and most rare is when a section gets kind of slow like transportation was for a while and I had just taking some fun shots from a car show, I may post to draw some interest in that section.
Old 09-03-2007   #6
Former Camel

CamelKarma: 886
Editing OK?: No

Well not fond of the name RIP IT APART Critique has to be constructive opinions, and not all photos posted in a serious critique would even need critique...That title alone suggests trouble... I would suggest a title of a thread called perhaps " OPINION PIX "

I just feel that people would still post in lets say Landscape for perhaps a Mild form of critique, and possibly in , ( OPINION PIX ) to get a more detailed opinion... or critique... Lets face it , how many of us are masters or teachers here?? I mean, I to love receiving critique... but everyone has also got to realize that its OPINION?? When I receive a critique, ( being Honest here ) #1 .. I first take comments as public opinion, he/she likes or dislikes , lets say 7 lookers, and 5 of those say great photo... ok what I have is one worthy for portfolio.. #2.. I take Critique, by first thinking to myself, do I like there work?? in other words if someone is going to paint my house, I don't want them telling me how it will look, I want to see theres first!!

Ya know , I'm, as said a Happy camper here, love the Camel... I almost wish I wouldn't have again started this thread to re hash this?? I just think a Thread Perhaps titled,
OPINION PIX.... would be worthy, Active, and Fast Moving... I think posting in this thread, opens the door for all to speak openly about a post... Poster knows Critique, good or bad is coming, everyone off the hook... I think if a poster has a landscape photo, not real sure about, they will post in landscape, if they want to get ideas and OPINION , they would post in OPINION PIX.. Its kind of like a thread --> All Other Photos?? where you put shots that don't fit other categories ,, you put them there , and there they sit! I think Landscape is a fast movin active thread, Simply because of the Critique received by posters.. but like everything else, ya need to keep advancing, next step, -----> OPINION PIX!! A more detailed analysis then , I like it , Great Photo , Good Job...

I think the thread being open to all photos would keep this thread movin.. I mean portraits to macro, to landscape, to Anything , but NUDES....

Well we can hash it around again, see what happens.. but personally I would like to see a two week trial run ?? Ya don't get better at photography unless ya shoot, and in this case you don't learn , unless you try!
New England Moments is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007   #7
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 862

Why not leave things as they are and if someone posts a picture and DOES NOT want feedback on it, they put "Do not comment please" in their message? Much clearer to the rest of us.
Old 09-03-2007   #8
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 10673
Editing OK?: Ask first

I said it before and I'll say it again: any more forums and you'll dilute EACH forum's purpose.

This is the first time I've ever heard anyone interpret the descriptions of the photo forum areas as non-critique. My rule: if you post it, it's up for comment, good or bad.

Just because someplace ELSE does it different doesn't mean this way doesn't work here. I really don't understand why this is an issue.
Old 09-03-2007   #9
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994

I tend to agree with Brian and Kerry.

Everything here is basically "up for debate or critique". If a user doesn't really want critiques, they mention it. Same for those who don't really want their posted images tweaked or modified.

If you don't want either, just say so. Easiest is to put it in your signature. Some have in their signature verbiage that states they want critiques and image tweaks are okay.

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007   #10
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 2121022

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian.austin View Post
My rule: if you post it, it's up for comment, good or bad.
I pretty much agree with that. You can't get better if you can't take crticism. If folks don't want critiques, they should say so in the thread so that we can just ignore them.

JDArt is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Miscellany > Suggestions / Questions »

Share this topic: