" Another Category " ??
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Miscellany > Suggestions / Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2007   #1
Former Camel

CamelKarma: 886
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default " Another Category " ??

Hi, new guy here riding high on the camel !! but , I wondered if you ever had or considered another category for photos.. somewhere on middle ground , between Actual Landscapes , and Architecture.... was thinking of a PURE Critique Board, where people post to strictly get feedback on any type shot... naturally not incl. the over 18 section shots...

I know you have a " ALL OTHER TYPES" thread, but wondered how you or others felt about a strictly critique section.. In other words posting here would allow , Common Sense Feedback, not your comment , hmmm ( Pic Sux ) but constructive views , written in a respectful mannor.. the poster should expect critique, as well as , leave it alone it s tech perfect.. think if posters and viewers handle this in a manor that they would want to be treated in ---> VERBALLY ... it would be very helpful.. it is also another Avenue for different type shots..

Just a thought , as is , i'm a Happy Camel, or is that Camper ??

Thanks !

Old 07-27-2007   #2
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 2121022
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: " Another Category " ??

Sounds good to me. Let's see what others say.
Old 07-27-2007   #3
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 15232

I've seen this on other boards and wondered about it. All threads here are sort of critique boards. If you singled one out for C&C, what would the rest be for? I'd hate for them to turn in to chatrooms.

Project4145

Lee4145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007   #4
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 2121022

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee4145 View Post
I've seen this on other boards and wondered about it. All threads here are sort of critique boards. If you singled one out for C&C, what would the rest be for? I'd hate for them to turn in to chatrooms.
That was a concern I had, too.
Old 07-27-2007   #5
Former Camel

CamelKarma: 886

I see the concern, but what I had in mind is more for the serious critique.. Most Critique I see is , well on a gentle side... and a lot of back patting... Now nothing wrong with this.. but a serious critique would be more on the lines of a finished print..that the poster presents, and is prepared to take some heat... Now by Heat, I don't suggest replies Must be Negative, but One should be honest about their feelings on the shot presented.. and the poster of the work, should be aware of serious critique, and consider this before posting... IF HE/SHE KNOWS SERIOUS CRITIQUE IS COMING , IT LEAVES THE COMMENTER IN BETTER FRAME TO OPEN UP ON FEELINGS OF A SHOT.. It also gives the poster an alternative so to speak, "" Am I ready for serious Critique , or should I just post this in Landscape, and get some moderate critique lol.." Granted, Critique has to be done in a Civil Way.. In other words a simple reply of " This Shots Sux" Does not constitute critique..

What I'm saying is sometimes people will put up a shot knowing it is possibly not their greatest effort.. some will even call them Grab shots.. I have a hard time saying something about these type shots for some reason.. The poster knows enough to know its not right, admits it , but yet people get on and say , NICE JOB who is this helping?? its like building a false ego ?? If every shot you put up gets an Atta Boy , nice job, good work, ...etc.. What are you gaining?? Again, granted some shots , and posters deserve this... but , I don't know ??

I think someone seriously wanting to learn, will also pay attention to critique given in a serious thread.. and absorb the info... even if not posting there themselves...

Ok , granted this might be a big step , or bite ,,,, but lets say maybe something to consider in the future... just a thought and I do see concerns..

but also sometimes being to nice on a critique helps very little, for a person wanting to learn,,, but Critique is also a Fine line, and I feel can make or break a someone new to the art... A constant hearing of something wrong, could make someone new , want to just put the camera in a drawer and say , " Forget This"! ... Its a funny thing Critique , but it must be handled in a Civil manor, and with respect..

Ok . I'm off my box, sorry for being winded... lol... Again it was a thought, and maybe after more thought. this might be better off putting aside awhile..
Interested though , how others feel...

Oh yeah, the other threads would still be the same as they are now , critique / discussion... the thread I suggested would be perhaps labeled " Serious Critique Only' ...
New England Moments is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007   #6
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 690429

Quote:
Originally Posted by New England Moments View Post
..." Serious Critique Only' ...
...hm... It could become a 'lurker' in stead of 'poster' board, as many might not feel 'qualified enough' to give serious critiques... leaving ALL the work to some 'hard-core critiquers'... ( Mr. Pickles and Rense come to mind, who are already far too busy ...)

...hm...in true Camel-Spirit' we should, -IMHO- name it at least 'Serious Constructive Critiques Only'

...or, in another great Camel Spirit, make this a totally different board: call it: TEAR THIS WORK APART!, and put in the guideline that you only want repliers to describe what they DON'T like about the images posted for critique. To get a 'list of all things that could be improved'.

Exclude any model-critique (she should have lost at least 20 pounds before you can take a shot like that of her) and personal attacks (the only thing that really sucks in this image is the photographer), so people actually posting pictures will know exactly what-to-get: NO attaboys, NO , but 'their worst nightmare critique' on their work...

...*my* meager 0.02....

Kindest regards!

Max@Home

Canon PowerShot G1X MkII, Canon PowerShot G3X, some accessories (hoods, flashes, filters, tripod) and some knowledge to use them
Max@Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007   #7
Former Camel

CamelKarma: 460

I think this idea might fly......I would LOVE to see it limited as a "NO TECH COMMENT" allowed though. Let it be an artistic crit, and, if tech issues spoil the image, then comment from that point of view....Critique as if the poster is showing us EXACTLY what he/she wants us to see....cheers...Bob
heartseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007   #8
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 8523012
Constructive Critique?: No

Max,
I' ll critique you on this one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max@Home View Post
... leaving ALL the work to some 'hard-core critiquers'... ( Mr. Pickles and Rense come to mind, who are already far too busy ...)
I am very gentle and constructive in my comments. I supply them for there own best in order to become a better photographer
(Mr. P is another case I agree on that).

Serious note: I don't think it is a good idea: critique should never be so severe that it takes a special board to handle it.
Old 07-28-2007   #9
Llama

CamelKarma: 107338
Editing OK?: Ask first

Another new guy piping in with a suggestion here, building on Toms suggestion really, why not make it an anonymous thread, so the poster and the comments show up as anonymous? That way any personal issues that may arise from previous unhappy exchanges can be avoided.

Another option is W.I.P (work in progress) thread, again as Tom suggests purely for serious constructive crit, but the poster takes the criticism and reworks the image accordingly, either by reshoot (which would be preferable, important to choose a subject or project easily accessed again at any time) or by software manipulation. The reworked image is then posted again for further critique and advise for improvement and the process could continue until no further improvements can be made (like that will ever happen)

Well just my 2c
Lionello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007   #10
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 8523012
Constructive Critique?: No

WIP is a nice idea, that gives me many opportunities to learn and give comments.

Rense is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Miscellany > Suggestions / Questions »

Share this topic: