" Another Category " ?? - Page 3
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Miscellany > Suggestions / Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2007   #21
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: " Another Category " ??

I think it is a waste, to be blunt.

How are you gonna get "serious" critiques, unless you limit the critiquers to serious critiquers? The same people that could critique an image in any forum, could critique in this new forum.

Doesn't make much sense to me. If you want critiques, people have put that in their signature. Some have put it in the thread verbiage with the image. Seems to work well enough.

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007   #22
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 238

I think that it would dilute the other threads. If I have a shot I want input on that is a portrait do I post it in portraits or this new thread. One of the thinks that attracted me here back when was the fact that I could post in a "topic " thread and that would mean I would get input from people interested in and knowledgable in that area. Not like some of the other forums where there was one main thread for input.

I say lets be very careful that we don't give up our Camelness. (is that a word? )
captlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007   #23
Former Camel

CamelKarma: 460
Editing OK?: No

WIP? I'd rather see "Finished Work". WIP would lead us to see half finished stuff....I think it would be better for all, poster included, to have the images complete before they are presented.

When you go to a resturant the chef doesn't come and show you a tray of raw meat, eggs, flour, spices...and ask if you like it.......he brings a finished dish. Same thing here, I think....Bob
heartseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007   #24
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 104962

WIP sounds and excellent idea to me and should enhance the Camel rather than detract or dilute. Ian
WIP I would see is about learning and progressing thru to a conclusion with help along the way from those who 'may' be more proficient. Often we think a work is finished until we submit it for critique and then we may be guided in potentially new directions. I can live without WIP but sincerely believe it would enhance the Camel.

http://iankyddmiller.com/new

The Camera is a tool that enables us to see the light but it will always be blind without our minds and imagination.
People of mediocre ability sometimes achieve outstanding success because they don't know when to quit.
Fusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007   #25
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 104962

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartseye View Post
WIP? I'd rather see "Finished Work". WIP would lead us to see half finished stuff....I think it would be better for all, poster included, to have the images complete before they are presented.

When you go to a resturant the chef doesn't come and show you a tray of raw meat, eggs, flour, spices...and ask if you like it.......he brings a finished dish. Same thing here, I think....Bob
Take your point about the chef but in that instance he presents his work for you to eat and admire not learn from, I am sure that he in his turn is teaching those not yet ready to present a finished meal how they proceed. Surely this applies within any good photo forum that we are all at different stages within our skill, some more proficient than others and some more in need of help,advice and assistance. Ian

http://iankyddmiller.com/new

The Camera is a tool that enables us to see the light but it will always be blind without our minds and imagination.
People of mediocre ability sometimes achieve outstanding success because they don't know when to quit.
Fusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007   #26
Administrator

Don't know how this turned into a cooking thread. But, when any "chef" presents his food to the patrons, they can "comment" on it. Would you return? Is it too salty? Should he arrange the plate better? Etc....

Even though you are not an actual food critic, employed by newspaper or magazine publishers, you can comment on your experience.

SAME HERE.

PhotoCamel needs LESS boards, NOT more.

Old 07-28-2007   #27
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 238

Mr. Pickles,

Your quote “PhotoCamel needs LESS boards, NOT more.”

I agree with you on this. As members of this forum we need to give, and ask for, input in the existing threads from our fellow members, whether they are “experts” or not, and just giving input as to how the image affects them. This is how we help and learn.

Again I say, I was attracted to this forum because I could zero in on the areas I was interested in and get input. I don’t want PhotoCamel to lose that
captlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007   #28
Administrator

I wasn't necessarily speaking of "image" boards. Those that have been here long know I have stated this before, and they will ignore like always. But they can't knock my ideas because they haven't tried them.

Old 07-28-2007   #29
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 711
Editing OK?: Yes

I'm afraid that I'm gonna have to agree with Mr Pickles on this one.

Seems to me that critiques and helpful advice is given when a picture is posted anyway, and even more so if the original poster requests it. (Course, I tend to do it anyway even if they don't request it.)

I certainly understand where NEM is coming from, and it's not a bad idea at all, but when it's all said and done is a separate special critique really needed?
"A good photograph is knowing where to stand." ~Ansel Adams
Goofup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007   #30
Former Camel

CamelKarma: 460
Editing OK?: No

[quote=Fusion;220602]Take your point about the chef but in that instance he presents his work for you to eat and admire not learn from, I am sure that he in his turn is teaching those not yet ready to present a finished meal how they proceed. Surely this applies within any good photo forum that we are all at different stages within our skill, some more proficient than others and some more in need of help,advice and assistance. Ian [/quote]

But the point of art is to allow you to experience it. Images are not in galleries so the public can learn from them....cheers...Bob

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Miscellany > Suggestions / Questions »

Share this topic: