Forum problems - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Miscellany > Suggestions / Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2017   #11
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1091466
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Forum problems

No one ever promised that the realities of the world were always going to make people happy. This was once a thriving, busy community with much participation and interaction by the members. One would have to be blind or in denial to disagree with it's previous nature and what it is today.

Perhaps a dose of reality is what it might take to get the Administration/Owner(s) to either take it seriously and make strides to make it once more a relevant, vibrant entity in today's photographic world or they should pull the trigger and put it out of it's misery.

"Failure to make the tough but necessary choices means slow painful death."

Michael J. Silverstein

I can honestly say that there are two most remarkable men in the world today. Michio Kaku is one and I am the other one. Between us we cover all knowledge.

Kaku knows all that can be known....And I know the rest.

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today?
Today is a gift. That is why we call it the present."

Master Oogway from Kung Fu Panda
gryphonslair99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017   #12
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 44239371

I have the same problem of the posts not appearing for a while. I have not timed it but it certainly more than just a few minutes. I am getting e-mail notifications normally. But have another problem which is intermittent. After making a post if I click the back button (Firefox at the top left) I can't get back to the thread list. I need to click the board name (at the top or bottom of the screen) to get back to the forum. If I don't post anything but just look at the posts then I can go back to the forum by clicking the back button.
Old 06-05-2017   #13
Camel Breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by gryphonslair99 View Post
No one ever promised that the realities of the world were always going to make people happy. This was once a thriving, busy community with much participation and interaction by the members. One would have to be blind or in denial to disagree with it's previous nature and what it is today.
Whether a board is active or vibrant with images, discussions & CC is in the hands of the board members. The owner can resolve a technical problem & he does that regularly when someone brings it to his attention. He cannot make members post or take part in discussions.

All photography sites are going down slowly. I think it is mostly due to social medias like Facebook & Instagram.
Old 06-05-2017   #14
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994
Editing OK?: Ask First

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gautam View Post
After making a post if I click the back button (Firefox at the top left) I can't get back to the thread list. I need to click the board name (at the top or bottom of the screen) to get back to the forum. If I don't post anything but just look at the posts then I can go back to the forum by clicking the back button.
If you make one and click "back" then where does it go, if it doesn't go back to the forum?

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017   #15
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1091466

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gautam View Post
Whether a board is active or vibrant with images, discussions & CC is in the hands of the board members. The owner can resolve a technical problem & he does that regularly when someone brings it to his attention. He cannot make members post or take part in discussions.

All photography sites are going down slowly. I think it is mostly due to social medias like Facebook & Instagram.
As a member of other photo forums I can say this is not the case. One of the forums I am a regular of has several threads that gets as many posts in day as this whole form gets. One of them has had 286 in the last 24 hours, while here there have been 44 post to this entire forum in the last 24 hours.

Forums are a form of social media, but they have to be social and inviting. I find it funny and disappointing that the "Say hi and introduce yourself" forum is at the bottom of the page. Lets make newbies welcome by having them have to search the whole forum so they can introduce themselves. As I write this there are 87 members and 1214 guests looking at the forum. 1214 potential members that are just lurking and not participating. Why?

The forum went into decline when it was decided to switch it all up and put the Gallery Critique and Discussion section front and center. That screams "Were a pat you on the back forum" from the very start. PhotoSig was a show off your stuff, pat you on the back place. Where is it now

Photographic discussion has been relegated to the basement of the forum and all lumped together. There used to be relevant sections where it was easy to find what people were looking for and relate too.

In the sub basement they have put what should be at the very top of the page. Personally Forum Announcements with it's information and sticky's should be at the top for all to see followed by the Welcome and Introduce yourself section not buried like it was your embarrassing weird old uncle Charlie. Putting out a welcome mat means opening the door and putting it OUTSIDE for all to see not posting a "go round to the back door" sign.

This is for the last one here.

Like the days of old the last one can open the bottle and drink a toast to all that went before. Then they can shut they can turn off the lights, shut the door and it will be finished.

"Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily." - Napoleon Bonaparte

I can honestly say that there are two most remarkable men in the world today. Michio Kaku is one and I am the other one. Between us we cover all knowledge.

Kaku knows all that can be known....And I know the rest.

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today?
Today is a gift. That is why we call it the present."

Master Oogway from Kung Fu Panda
gryphonslair99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017   #16
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 199622943

I have been having issues similar to Gautam's but they appear to be related to the Firefox browser.
When I use Google Chrome my posts appear as quickly as expected.
Old 06-05-2017   #17
Camel Breath

Forums of every genre (not just photography) are seeing a decline in activity. Forums are suffering from an identity crisis right now. There was a time when forums were where all the activity happened on the web. If you wanted real time discussion, you found it on forums. If you wanted social interaction, you found it on forums. If you were seeking high quality user generated content, you found it on forums. Nowadays the proliferation of social media sites has caused a competitive dynamic that has reduced overall time spent per session on forums, but this dynamic has also created an opportunity for forums to focus on their core strengths.
Forums remain the best medium for many discussions around a subject of mutual interest. On a forum you can ask and answer questions but you can also share content whether it is something you have found, or something you have created.
Forums are wonderful. They need some technology upgrades and smart people to recognize their value so that they can continue to flourish well into the future.
Old 06-05-2017   #18
Camel Breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pickles View Post
If you make one and click "back" then where does it go, if it doesn't go back to the forum?
It just stays in the same thread. In Firefox the waiting time circle goes on for about 30 seconds & then stops. Then the display goes at the first post of the thread.
Old 06-05-2017   #19
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 11678231

I haven't had any more old or new problems. I'm still logged in, too.

I just uploaded then posted a picture and a bit of text without any lag time at all. (FireFox)

So Cal Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017   #20
Camel Breath

My system appears to be working fine with Firefox as well right now.
The problem mentioned by Gautam seems to occur occasionally however.
I have not had the issues when using Google Chrome.

- Chase Jarvis
wolfd is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Miscellany > Suggestions / Questions »

Share this topic: