PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Miscellany > Suggestions / Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2007   #1
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 2121022
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Karma

This was originally written by Paul in another forum, but it's worthwhile posting here.

Karma is causing a bit of confusion so I'll explain how it works on the new forum first.

By default every new member starts off with a CamelReputation rating of 0. This number directly influences the amount of karma you can give to another member.

How to give Karma:
Under the member details on every post is a little 'scales' icon . If you wish to say 'thank you' or even 'no thanks', you click the scales and select 'Approve' or 'Disapprove'. If it is a positive Karma then a comment may be left but is not necessary. If it is a negative Karma then you have to add a comment otherwise it will not take effect.

How to see who has given me Karma:

Under the link that you click to read your private messages is another link that takes you to recent Karma comments, if any. Clicking the link will take you to your Control Panel, where you can see who has left you karma. You need to scroll way down the page to see the Karma Received section. You can also view your Karma comments at any time by visiting your control panel directly: http://www.photocamel.com/forum/usercp.php

I liked it the old way!

Although the old method of giving and receiving Karma was nice and straightforward, there are some compelling reasons as to why this new method is more useful.

In the old method, having a high or a low Karma made no direct difference to how you could use your increasing (or decreasing) reputation for the benefit of others in the community. The concept of reputation is what makes this method more rewarding. For example:
  • If you have a high post count you have more reputation than someone who has posted less
  • If you have been a member for a long time you have more reputation than someone who is new
  • If you receive Karma from others your own reputation rating increases
  • Members may be promoted into other usergroups if they reach a certain threshold. This could include being given more storage space for attachments for example
Of course, all of these factors can go the other way if there is a 'bad apple' amongst us, but that is not something we've really seen on this site. We're the friendly Photo Community .

How can I see what CamelKarma and CamelReputation I currently have?

This is displayed in the user details panel on the left of every post. It's shown in two ways. First as a row of lights under the name, and also as a actual values that shows directly how much Karma you are able to offer to others (CamelReputation) and how many Karmas you've received (CamelKarma).

JDArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 690429
Default Re: Karma

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDArt View Post
How to see who has given me Karma:

At the top right of every page is a little box that shows you whether anyone has given you karma recently. If so, then clicking the link will take you to your Control Panel where you can see who has left you karma. You can also view your Karma comments at any time by visiting your control panel directly: http://www.photocamel.com/forum/usercp.php
...call me stupid , I checked every item twice, but can't seem to find Karma comments in my Control Panel...

...a hint would be greatly appreciated

...and 'nother (related ?) question: some of us have that red/yellow card icon ('add infraction') under their name, others don't...

what is it and how does it work ??

thanks in advance for any explanation,

Kindest regards,

Max@Home

Canon PowerShot G1X MkII, Canon PowerShot G3X, some accessories (hoods, flashes, filters, tripod) and some knowledge to use them
Max@Home is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007   #3
senses working overtime

CamelKarma: 402002

Max, I've just given you a 'karma' - see if you have a comment now.

The infraction thing is something that's based on what membergroups you are in.
Paul Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007   #4
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 690429
Thumbs up Re: Karma

Paul,

Thanks for the Karma , and I can see the comment you made with it , but no previous comments ?? ...or have we started 'new' here, comment-wise ??

and... membergroups ?? I am a member of 18+ and PC, didn't know there were more 'groups' ?? a curious mind wants to know

Kindest regards!

Max@Home

Canon PowerShot G1X MkII, Canon PowerShot G3X, some accessories (hoods, flashes, filters, tripod) and some knowledge to use them
Max@Home is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007   #5
senses working overtime

CamelKarma: 402002

Karma comments were not migrated across Max. Completely different software so some things had to go (judging by the apparent confusion with the new reputation system, I wish it had all gone missing ).

Membergroups allow us to offer access to groups that are invitation only, such as the Glamour forum. You can request access via the membergroup section in your control panel.

As you were already a member on the previous software you don't need to do it again (one thing that did work well in the migration ).
Paul Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007   #6
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 61045

HMM I too am confused by this. I see that I have a Karma comment, but when I click the Karma comment link it just goes to the recent threads I've posted in. I must be missing something?? Is there a comment that I can read associated specifically with the Karma Comment? I can't seem to find it if there is.

Thanks,

Jay

SonyAlphaLab.com
Now On Google+

Jason Hermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007   #7
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 2121022

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worm324 View Post
HMM I too am confused by this. I see that I have a Karma comment, but when I click the Karma comment link it just goes to the recent threads I've posted in. I must be missing something??
Scroll all the way down past your subscribed threads. The karma comments are at the bottom of the page, in the Latest Karma Received table.

You can also just click the Control Panel button to get to the same place.
Old 03-07-2007   #8
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 61045

Thankyou It was right there the whole time !!

Jay

SonyAlphaLab.com
Now On Google+

Jason Hermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007   #9
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 135
Editing OK?: Ask First

Is there a way to see previous comments (post transition)? I swear I only had 2 karma before the transition, and now I have 12, yet at the top I have "You have no new Karma comments."
Old 03-15-2007   #10
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994
Editing OK?: Ask First

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianacole View Post
Is there a way to see previous comments (post transition)? I swear I only had 2 karma before the transition, and now I have 12, yet at the top I have "You have no new Karma comments."
When we moved to the new software, we added 10 to everybody, thus your 12.

You need to post and build that up more

We know you can do it

Olympus Passion Magazine
Idiot Savant AND trouble-maker...

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Miscellany > Suggestions / Questions »

Share this topic: