Watermark/Copyright Question
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Miscellany > Suggestions / Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2011   #1
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask first
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Post Watermark/Copyright Question

When posting photos for constructive critique and criticism should I worry about watermarking or placing a copyright on the photo? If I should, what should the watermark or copyright be? “Copyright Year [Photographer’s Name]” is what all I have come up with. Most of the watermarks I have seen here are those of the studio’s, and I haven’t been able to find a good reference in searching the forums.

I might be putting too much thought into this…. but any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark

Old 01-18-2011   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 8523012
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: No
Default Re: Watermark/Copyright Question

Maybe this helps?
Old 01-18-2011   #3
Alpaca

Mark do you have photoshop 7 or above. If so go to filters and find digimarc and click on that and a box will open and say inbedded watermark etc. follow the directions. This will put a mark on them but can't be seen till someone tries to print and they get a weird red mark across photo. If you are uploading photo's resize them to 70 res. or lower and lower the width and length. Usually vert. 750 and the width is chosen Horz same 750 and lenght is chosen. Hope this helped.
dlt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011   #4
Alpaca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rense View Post
Maybe this helps?
Thanks! That does help quite a bit .

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlt2 View Post
Mark do you have photoshop 7 or above. If so go to filters and find digimarc and click on that and a box will open and say inbedded watermark etc. follow the directions. This will put a mark on them but can't be seen till someone tries to print and they get a weird red mark across photo. If you are uploading photo's resize them to 70 res. or lower and lower the width and length. Usually vert. 750 and the width is chosen Horz same 750 and lenght is chosen. Hope this helped.
I am using Lightroom 2 and Photoshop Elements 8. I had never thought of the imbedded watermark. I will have to look into that. Thanks for the idea!

I guess I still question IF you would need to watermark/copyright the photo if you are just posting for constructive critique and criticism. I am not a professional by any means, but I guess adding the watermark/copyright is just another step in the post-processing workflow.
maritch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011   #5
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 8523012
Constructive Critique?: No

As dlt2 said: post a low res version to discuss, in that case a watermark/copyright statement can be done just to make clear it is yours. If you ever put up a highres version, by all means do place a watermark/copyright but be warned that these things can (and will be) cloned out. Safest bet is to not publish the highres version.
Old 01-20-2011   #6
Alpaca

Rense and dlt2,
Thanks for the feedback. I hadn't thought about posting a lower res version, but it makes total sense. I just need to update my workflow to include a watermark/copyright step. Thanks again for the help.

Mark

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Miscellany > Suggestions / Questions »

Share this topic: