PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum

PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum (https://photocamel.com/forum/)
-   Street & Photojournalism (https://photocamel.com/forum/street-photojournalism/)
-   -   Australia Votes (https://photocamel.com/forum/street-photojournalism/236925-australia-votes.html)

pandora 05-20-2019 04:54 PM

Australia Votes

pop 05-21-2019 07:38 AM

Re: Australia Votes

The only good thing about that day was the weather..LOL
Have fun!!

scoundrel1728 05-21-2019 01:27 PM

Seems to be a lot of electioneering near the polling places. Not sure whether it is a state or a federal law, but around here polling is prohibited within 100 feet (30 m) of the polls. Looks like the participants outside are having more fun than around here, where the voters do not linger about the polling place but leave almost immediately after handing in their ballots. As an inspector (head precinct pollworker) for several elections, including the infamous "hanging chad" Bush-Gore election, I've had some experience at this. That said, the precincts around here are small and I have never actually had to take a car to the polling place; they were almost always within walking distance.

pandora 05-21-2019 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pop (Post 2406163)
The only good thing about that day was the weather..LOL
Have fun!!

Depends who you talk to, but safe to say that just over half the population are ecstatic, and just under half aren't … [popcorn]
Quote:

Originally Posted by scoundrel1728 (Post 2406180)
Seems to be a lot of electioneering near the polling places. Not sure whether it is a state or a federal law, but around here polling is prohibited within 100 feet (30 m) of the polls. Looks like the participants outside are having more fun than around here, where the voters do not linger about the polling place but leave almost immediately after handing in their ballots. As an inspector (head precinct pollworker) for several elections, including the infamous "hanging chad" Bush-Gore election, I've had some experience at this. That said, the precincts around here are small and I have never actually had to take a car to the polling place; they were almost always within walking distance.

I think it's fair to say that Australia is a very different social environment to the USA. There was a genuine air of goodwill among volunteers and public in general, just as it should be in a representative democracy. :afro:

Gregw 05-21-2019 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pandora (Post 2406186)
There was a genuine air of goodwill among volunteers and public in general, just as it should be in a representative democracy. :afro:

I'm envious. Political climate in this country is pretty ugly.

pandora 05-22-2019 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregw (Post 2406189)
I'm envious. Political climate in this country is pretty ugly.

So we see on screens, Greg. I can only hope we don't go down the same path.