Quality, Price and Style
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Street & Photojournalism

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2018   #1
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 62225
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Quality, Price and Style

Street performer in Tombstone, AZ a few years ago. Critique is welcome and appreciated.

Kim Cimmery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018   #2
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 1004893
Editing OK?: Ask first
Default Re: Quality, Price and Style

Tack sharp on the performer, which I like. But I cannot tell what he is doing. Dancing? Singing?

Olympus OMD EM-1, EPL1, standard kit lens, 17mm 1.8, 60mm macro, 75-300mm II, 45mm 1.8, Rokinon 7.5mm Fish Eye, lens cap lens, ec-14, Fl-36 flash, adapter, misc accessories.
mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018   #3
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994
Editing OK?: Ask First

Sharp on him. Not sure if this is just real depth, or some diorama type focus change going on. The big sign in the background looks normal but the stuff on the groups near him seem a bit odd to me.

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018   #4
Alpaca

Hi,
Thanks for your feedback. The urban setting had a lot of distractions in the empty lot behind the dancer. I thought the people on the bench were distracting from the "dancer" so created a blur layer to blur everything in the background plus a little of the foreground. Doing the same image again I would experiment with different apertures (larger than the f8 that was used).
-Kim Cimmery
Old 10-05-2018   #5
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 1467548

Now that you mention it, I did notice something a little odd about the focus but couldn't put my finger on it. By the way, the sign in the background isn't truly in focus but has what appears to be some old-fashioned blue fringing around the white lettering, most likely from some longitudinal chromatic aberration. This is not a bad thing; it gives a somewhat dreamy atmosphere to the image. In fact, I thought you deliberately chose this lens for this effect.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018   #6
Alpaca

This is the .jpg version out of the camera. Using Affinity Photo I added a duplicate layer, applied a Gaussian filter, an inverted mask, and painted out the background and a small portion of the foreground. I used a Nikon D300s and 16-85mm zoom.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _DSC3400.jpg (579.8 KB, 53 views)
Old 10-06-2018   #7
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 1467548

Interesting! I guess it was the Affinity Photo version of the Gaussian blur filter that preferentially blurred the blue channel and gave the color fringing - and more convincing blur than just a straight Gaussian blur. I'll have to try that some time when I want a dreamy effect.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #8
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1134021

He is a sight to behold, nice shot.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Street & Photojournalism »

Share this topic: