U12 Softball Daughter catching.
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Sports & Action

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 97683
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default U12 Softball Daughter catching.

U12 Softball Daughter catching.

Canon 85mm 1.8 ; Canon 580 EX II and 430 EX II
Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS EF-S
Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM
Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
donaldwthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1469544
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: U12 Softball Daughter catching.

Of these, I like image #1 the best. In image #2, it looks almost as if the catcher has tagged the runner in the face with the glove, even though close inspection reveals that she tagged the upper arm instead. Image #3 is front-focused and the important action has already taken place; it's all over but the residual momentum.

I am not sure why, but all three exposures look somewhat overexposed, an impression confirmed in the histogram by a pileup on the extreme right. A preliminary reduction in gamma to 0.80 had a similar effect on increasing the contrast (and saturation) but still left the highlights too close to burnout. I therefor cancelled that adjustment and tried using tone curves instead. In curves, I stretched out the extreme right corner of the curve by setting a point at (250, 240) and making a fast but smooth transition to the rest of the curve, with the remainder being somewhat concave down. If you originally shot this in RAW, you might be able to do better and pull down the exposure a bit. Having a Canon system myself, I can usually get by with up to 2/3 stops in DPP without my highlights starting to turn gray.

Finally, a slight all-around crop was in order to remove some distractions, including the woman's face at extreme left and, to a lesser extent, the man on the field at extreme right, plus some unnecessary foreground and background. This is the result I finally came up with:

Home1ak.jpg
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #3
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 10143065

I like that you captured the entire sequence.
Canon 80D
Misc. Canon Lenses
Sigma 150-600mm C
Sigma 100-400mm C
Samyang 8mm Fisheye
greenjeans is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #4
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 3954

Scoundrel's edit is technically better, but "the man on the field at extreme right" is the Umpire...and you can be certain the runner - who new she was going to be tagged out - ran into the glove as hard as she could, hoping the catcher would drop the ball.

Super job by your Daughter!!
Hanginon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #5
Camel Breath

Since he was on the field, I assumed that he was an umpire or coach. As for the runner's trying to hit the glove as hard as possible, I have my doubts: even in the first image, she is already leaning backward, i.e., braking.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #6
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 3954

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoundrel1728 View Post
Since he was on the field, I assumed that he was an umpire or coach.
I figured you thought that - I just think keeping it included adds to the emotion of the image. Personal preference.

Quote:
As for the runner's trying to hit the glove as hard as possible, I have my doubts: even in the first image, she is already leaning backward, i.e., braking.
Could be, but I think that's because she's going into a slide. It can often look different from another position, but I think the important thing here for donaldwthompson's daughter is the runner was OUT!
Hanginon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #7
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 97683

Thanks guys.... Yes he is the home plate umpire. LOL.. Yes that was the for sure the most important as this was in the Championship game all though we ended up loosing by 2 runs..
Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM
Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
donaldwthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #8
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 501383

Fine series. The first one has perfect timing, great expressions in the spectators, and includes all the important people. Scoundrel was right about the exposure.
Jim Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #9
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 179
Editing OK?: Ask first

Quote:
Since he was on the field, I assumed that he was an umpire or coach. As for the runner's trying to hit the glove as hard as possible, I have my doubts: even in the first image, she is already leaning backward, i.e., braking.
Runner is starting to lean back because she is planning on sliding into home. Notice her right arm is up. This is to key on the location of the ball so that contact will be made. Notice the glove and ball being in a low position eventually. This is because the runner actually dragged it down with her right arm trying to dislodge the ball. Catcher kept the ball, runner was out. Standard procedure for baserunning. If she wouldn't have approached the plate this way she sure would have heard about it at the bench.

Catcher did a great job. Congrats to her.
Old 1 Week Ago   #10
Camel Breath

Second shot in the series shows the runner's right arm still below the catcher's glove where a downward position would have been ineffective at knocking the ball out of the glove. The catcher clearly had no trouble keeping hold of the ball.

Of course, any advice I give is just that: advice. It is still the photographer's inage and the photographer - or anyone else, for that matter - is free to disagree on matters of taste and intent.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Sports & Action »

Share this topic: