A league to honor Jackie Robinson
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Sports & Action

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2018   #1
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 9058810
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default A league to honor Jackie Robinson

5 years ago, my wife and I saw a facebook post from a local sports reporter for our large newspaper regarding a baseball league he wanted to start to benefit those kids in the inner city who could not afford to play baseball because of the costs. From day one, it would also include girls in true baseball. We walked the neighborhoods, photographed each step of the formation and meetings to get it off the ground. There was some doubters that it would fly since we were pegging the cost at $30.00 per family no matter how many kids played and we offered scholarships to those who could not pay. We started our first season on two natural turf diamonds in an inner city iconic city park. Those fields needed work but had lights. We started with about 175 kids and we gave each one a baseball glove, the uniforms and coaches. In 5 years we have grown to over 600 kids, 3 fields, one with artificial turf. We have upgraded lights, added covered and screened dugouts, thanks to generous contributions and to the city giving us !.4 million dollars to upgrade the facilities including a new concession stand. A 4th field is being planned. In addition, we have had the unbelievable support of coaches and teachers including Johnny Bench, Mike Pelfrey of the Twins, the former coach of the Creighton Bluejays, Todd Wenberg, the entire team, staff and facilities of Wichita State University and other numerous major leaguers. Garth Brooks even stopped by and helped instruct the kids. We have free sections for WSU baseball, we get tickets each year for the KC Royals and other events and put on clinics year round to not only teach the kids baseball but also life in general. We have graduates who are now playing high school ball and one was our city league all-star. Truly it has given me a great feeling of accomplishment. Last night, we had a major milestone as a former Major leaguer, a KC Athletics, Oakland Athletics, New York Yankee hall of Famer, Mr. October, Reggie Jackson stopped by. A few of us knew he was coming so my wife and I could photograph this event. Here are some pictures from that day. The lady in the first one besides Mr. Jackson is my wife who is a member of Photocamel and is the League's photographer. The surprise and excitement were over the top.

Old 06-28-2018   #2
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 1004893
Editing OK?: Ask first
Default Re: A league to honor Jackie Robinson

Olympus OMD EM-1, EPL1, standard kit lens, 17mm 1.8, 60mm macro, 75-300mm II, 45mm 1.8, Rokinon 7.5mm Fish Eye, lens cap lens, ec-14, Fl-36 flash, adapter, misc accessories.
mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018   #3
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 9058810
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: A league to honor Jackie Robinson

This series was taken with Panasonic G-5 with 60mm 2.8 Sigma Art lens.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Sports & Action »

Share this topic: