First Horse Show
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Sports & Action

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2017   #1
Llama

CamelKarma: 1215212
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default First Horse Show

This was my first attempt to photograph a horse show. I learned a lot. One thing for certain, the next time I need to use a monopod.
Feedback is welcomed.

File Type: jpg Horse_4 (Small).jpg (178.9 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg Horse_7 (Small).jpg (175.3 KB, 57 views)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/142328965@N07/

http://rv.billdiana.com/
DigiBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017   #2
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 1543000
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: First Horse Show

First shot is really flat, almost looks like a shot of a ceramic ornament, The second is out of level in a bad way and cropped with to much extraneous stuff on the right, and the third is getting pretty close to a really nice shot. Bit remember , especially when shooting horses, that you need sharp details to emphasize those muscles working. Used to enjoy going down to a regional field & dressage event occasionally.
Didereaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017   #3
Llama

CamelKarma: 1215212
Editing OK?: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didereaux View Post
First shot is really flat, almost looks like a shot of a ceramic ornament, The second is out of level in a bad way and cropped with to much extraneous stuff on the right, and the third is getting pretty close to a really nice shot. Bit remember , especially when shooting horses, that you need sharp details to emphasize those muscles working. Used to enjoy going down to a regional field & dressage event occasionally.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Could you give me some advice on how to rectify the issues you identified. For example, how can the first shot have some depth instead of being flat?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/142328965@N07/

http://rv.billdiana.com/
DigiBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017   #4
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 1543000
Editing OK?: Ask First

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiBill View Post
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Could you give me some advice on how to rectify the issues you identified. For example, how can the first shot have some depth instead of being flat?

Down and dirty and fair to middling approach is to bump your clarity up just a bit, not to much. Also the very first thing you do when you open a file for processing is to expand the dynamic range. If the histogram does not extend to both edges then move the black to the left and if the white does not make it move it to the right. If either are clipped then reverse the movement. I presume you are shooting RAW? If not do so. It is far far more difficult to set the proper parameters in the camera. It really takes more know-how to produce a good jpeg out of camera than to produce a good image from say Lightroom. And thank you for reading my post as it was intended, a critique and not a criticism.
Didereaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017   #5
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 22667
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: No

I like the third shot. Just keep practicing and I am sure you will get it.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Sports & Action »

Share this topic: