Indoor - No lighting Nikon Camera Setting
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Sports & Action

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2017   #1
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 24
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Indoor - No lighting Nikon Camera Setting

Ok so I haven't visited here for a while but would like to know if anyone has taken individual sports photos in a school gym that has fairly good lighting. I am a little frustrated with my photos but can not have a lot of noise with them as they use the photos at the school for huge banners. Any suggestions would be wonderful. I have a nikon D7100 with a Sigma art lens 18-55mm f1.8, which is my lens of choice and 99.5% of the time is on my camera. I don't have time to experiment with the settings. TIA

SunShyne Photografie
sunshyne-photografie.com
sunshyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017   #2
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 683702
Default Re: Indoor - No lighting Nikon Camera Setting

`

Don't worry about noise for huge banners.
Just crank the ISO to 6400 and keep on
keepin on. As the old saying goes "They'll
never notice at 55 mph". Ever get a close
look at a billboard ?

You're shooting giant banners, not gallery
art prints. Sweat it not
Golem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017   #3
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 501383

The basketball games I shoot with a D5300 at ISO 3200, f/4. and 1/350 second enlarge well. If noise was important, I'd cut the ISO and open up a stop or two. However, that's me, and you are you. Experiment to see what works best for you and the school. As Golem says, people don't have time to criticize details when other things are more important. If you are shooting only posed individual sports portraits, the main problem is likely the color of the light source, not the noise.
Jim Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017   #4
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 264276
Editing OK?: Ask First

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshyne View Post
Ok so I haven't visited here for a while but would like to know if anyone has taken individual sports photos in a school gym that has fairly good lighting.
Do you mean shots of individuals in a gym or action shots during play?

Despite what you think the chances are that the gym actually has quite bad lighting - most do. While the human eye is quite good at adapting to indoor lighting the fact is that it seldom puts out enough light for good photography. Worse still the fluorescent lights in some locations flicker/cycle every 50th/60th of a second during which the light intensity alters (as does the colour temperature). This can cause problems with exposure and white balance.

Next you have the issue of speed. For many sports you need to shoot with a fast shutter speed to freeze motion/prevent motion blur. For faster sports this can be anywhere from 1/500 up to 1/1500 to eliminate blur. As a result you will almost certainly need to shoot at your lenses widest aperture and even then may need a high ISO to get a decent exposure.

I would suggest that you shoot RAW as it gives you the greatest latitude to adjust exposure and white balance if there are problems and you can also apply noise reduction to help reduce noise.
Dan Marchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017   #5
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 24

Thanks everyone for the good tips. I actually shoot just individuals, not in motion. these are mainly for yearbook/memory mates. The reason I ask the question is, I have previously shot in these conditions and they turn out some what - however the first round (spring sports) I was unaware that they used my photos for the banners. So I cranked up the ISO and they were awfully gritty looking, and when I sent it over to the banner lady she was not pleased with the quality. I also explained to her that if i would have know they were going to use them for that I would of adjusted the settings. However just wanted to see what everyone else would use in that situtation if you can use a speedlight on camera what that would help/ background shadows etc.

Again Thank you for the suggestions.
sunshyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017   #6
Llama

CamelKarma: 36120

Well if you're shooting posed shots, make it simple on yourself, and the same time get the best results possible. Get a light stand, soft box and a speed light and you're all set.

The gym lights will be awful, there's no way around it. Your images will never be the same as using off camera flash. Shooting sports in action, you're kind of stuck with the gym lights, for posed shots, you have a lot more options.

Nikon D800, D5500 IR 590nm, D50
nu2scene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017   #7
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 1508066

I second getting a light and a reflector.
Tinstafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017   #8
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1145880

A good diagram of the model, camera position, light source, ceiling height, bounce ratio of the flash should be included in the recommendations. Also to Sunshyne, how much control do you have of the shooting environment; can you include a backdrop, do you have a section of the gym dedicated to what you are trying to achieve?
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017   #9
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 43480375

I print banners for a living and find that banner material tends to loose little details and slight noise. The ink soaks into the material and spreads lightly, so tac sharpe images are really not as nessesary for banners.
Photoshop or other similar software should minimize the noise if it becomes an issue.

If your prints are going on glossy book stock, that may be a whole different deal. Then lighting options mentioned may be your best bet.
Old 11-05-2017   #10
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 54761647

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro70z28 View Post
I print banners for a living and find that banner material tends to loose little details and slight noise. The ink soaks into the material and spreads lightly, so tac sharpe images are really not as nessesary for banners.
This is interesting information.

Chuck

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Sports & Action »

Share this topic:

Tags
d7100, indoor, nikon, sigma, sports