Difference Between E-mount 18-200mm Lenses
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Sony

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2013   #1
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 3454539
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Difference Between E-mount 18-200mm Lenses

I am thinking about augmenting my DSLR gear with a mirrorless ILC system and giving serious thought to the NEX-7. Can anyone tell me the meaningful differences between the 18-200mm E-mount lenses?

SEL 18200 | SEL 18200LE | SEL-P 18200

They have the same zoom range and min/max apertures, and all three have Optical SteadyShot. I can't find any meaningful differences besides their looks and price. If anyone has any experience or knowledge, I would greatly appreciate it.

I am brand new to Sony cameras, so please don't assume I know even the most basic things.

Thank you,

a Nikon and Windows kind of guy
SumptuousArt.com | Me on 500px
SA_Tosterud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013   #2
Llama

CamelKarma: 276607
Editing OK?: No
Default Re: Difference Between E-mount 18-200mm Lenses

The 18-200mm E-mount lenses are primarily designed as video lenses for e-mount video cameras. They do work just fine for stills. The Sel-18200 was the original version and the LE is the more updated version of that lens. The P adds a power zoom to make smooth zooms while shooting video. If you want "do it all lens" for the NEX you might also want to look into the Tamron version as well.

FWIW, I own the NEX-7 and it's fantastic.

I might also ask the question over here.

http://www.talknex.com/forum.php
Lonnie Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013   #3
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 61045

They are all good, but the latest powerzoom is the sharpest of them all. I recently reviewed it on my Nex-6 and although a bit awkward to hold, it performed excellent in my opinion.

The LE is Sony is just like the Tamron pretty much, but has a few better glass elements inside. The nice thing is the small form factor. The original sel18200 is very good optically, but has lens creep when holding it vertical, and the form factor is pretty large.

Her's my Sony E-Mount 18-200mm Lens Reviews if you care to check them out:

Sel18200 Vs Tamron 18-200mm lens Review >>
Sel18200LE Review >>
selp18200 Review >>

Jay

SonyAlphaLab.com
Now On Google+

Jason Hermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #4
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask First

Hello. Tell me, please, for shooting on matinees and children's lives in a kindergarten, will this lens fit this camera? Sony SAL-18250 18-250mm
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #5
Llama

CamelKarma: 197661

No. The lens you mentioned is an a mount lens for Sony's rational slrs not an e mount lens for their mirrorless cameras

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Sony »

Share this topic: