Just got the Nex-7, 3 lenses, and a Fotdiox lens adapter for Canon EF Lenses
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Sony

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2012   #1
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 61045
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Arrow Just got the Nex-7, 3 lenses, and a Fotdiox lens adapter for Canon EF Lenses

I just received the Nex-7 and a bunch of lenses!! I also got the Fotodiox Lens adapter for my Canon EF lenses.

http://sonyalphalab.com/2012/01/the-nex-7-and-a-bunch-of-lenses-arrived-nex-7-glamour-shots/

Nex-7, Fotodiox Lens Adapter, and Canon lens Mounted!!

http://sonyalphalab.com/2012/01/sony-nex-camera-system-can-use-almost-any-lens-with-a-simple-and-inexpensive-lens-adapter/

Best,
Jay

SonyAlphaLab.com
Now On Google+

Jason Hermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012   #2
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 1606297
Default Re: Just got the Nex-7, 3 lenses, and a Fotdiox lens adapter for Canon EF Lenses

Wow! I want a play by play. How is it in real world use? Iam considering the D4 but the price is making me rethink my strategy.

www.filmstillphotography.com

My family and I travel all over the world so photography was a logical way to capture the wonder of the places we go.
The lifestyle requires sacrifices such as not having friends or family near us. This is why Photocamel is so wonderful.
It lets me keep friendly photographers with me everywhere I go!
BovrilArg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012   #3
Camel Breath

Default Re: Just got the Nex-7, 3 lenses, and a Fotdiox lens adapter for Canon EF Lenses

The D4 is a totally different animal In the real worl it works pretty awesome I have to say. Image quality is excellent as well. The focus is not near as good as an SLR though, because it only has the Contrast AF which is built into the sensor. It's accurate, just not the fastest to focus. Once focused though the lag time is almost nothing. So, if you want to shoot sports you need to get the LA-EA2 adapter for it. That will allow you to put A-mount lenses on the Nex-7 and have the much faster Phase detection Autofocus.

Other than that I love it so far. The tri-nav adjustment wheels work great for manual mode or Av mode. LCD Screen is good and OLED Viewfinder is incredible!! Pop up flash seems a little cheesy, but it does the job.

More to come shortly In the meantime here is a few sample pics:
Sony Nex-7 and Tamron 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 Di III VC Lens - Sample Photos | sonyalphalab.com

Best,
Jay

SonyAlphaLab.com
Now On Google+

Old 01-16-2012   #4
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 6963590
Editing OK?: Ask First

A few things I'm curious about....
does the fotodiox adapter work the aperture? . . . and how is it that changing a lens will allow you to utilize a different autofocus mode?
scatterbrained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012   #5
Camel Breath

Hello Scatterbrain,

The Fotodiox Adapter has a built in Aperture. The aperture on the Canon lens will not work on the Nex-7, so you are forced to shoot wide-open. This adapter allows you to sorta simulate an aperture, but it's not the same as it being in the lens itself. That being said it's nice to have some control and I will report how it works once I actually try it.

The LA-EA2 is not a lens, it's and E-mount (nex ) to A-Mount converter that has a translucent mirror and the phase detection autofocus sensors built in.

Check this out:
A Closer Look at Sony's A-Mount Lens to NEX Camera Mount Adapter!! (LA-EA2) | sonyalphalab.com

Best,
Jay

SonyAlphaLab.com
Now On Google+

Old 01-16-2012   #6
Dromedary

Ah ha. Just a thought, why not pick up some old FD lenses that are fully manual already? I know I've seen adapters for them, and then you could pick up some excellent glass cheap!
As neat as the adapter is, I feel like it kinda defeats the purpose of the NEX. By the time you buy the camera, get some alpha lenses and buy the focus adapter, you have something that is about the same size as a DLSR without the form factor or optical viewfinder. I guess I always saw the NEX as a small camera alternative to the DSLR. I will admit that the adapter is pretty neat though, it reminds me of the old autofocus FD lenses Canon used to make right before the EOS mount came out. The essential took a lens and mounted a motor to the top of it, in a weird boxy housing.
Just another question, where did that Minolta 1600mm reflex lens come from?! Whoa!
Old 01-16-2012   #7
Camel Breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatterbrained View Post
Ah ha. Just a thought, why not pick up some old FD lenses that are fully manual already? I know I've seen adapters for them, and then you could pick up some excellent glass cheap!
As neat as the adapter is, I feel like it kinda defeats the purpose of the NEX. By the time you buy the camera, get some alpha lenses and buy the focus adapter, you have something that is about the same size as a DLSR without the form factor or optical viewfinder. I guess I always saw the NEX as a small camera alternative to the DSLR. I will admit that the adapter is pretty neat though, it reminds me of the old autofocus FD lenses Canon used to make right before the EOS mount came out. The essential took a lens and mounted a motor to the top of it, in a weird boxy housing.
Just another question, where did that Minolta 1600mm reflex lens come from?! Whoa!
Well, with the adapter it's still way smaller and way lighter than an SLR, but I hear what your saying.

I personally think the flexibility is nice as the camera can be really small with just a pancake lens on it, or you can attach pretty much anything you want, and basically turn it into the Sony A77 with that LA-EA2 Adapter. It's all to what you want to do as the user. Clearly this type of camera is not for everybody, but I love the small size, killer image quality, and 10fps. Michele also like that she can easily hold it and take pics as well.

What lens are you talking about? The lenses in my pics are my Canon Lenses that I already own. I would never purchase a $2000 canon lens for the Nex camera!! That is just insane to me.

For future purposes, you are absolutely correct about just buying older manual focus Prime lenses which I plan on doing eventually. For now I'm just using what I got in hand

Best,
Jay

SonyAlphaLab.com
Now On Google+

Old 01-16-2012   #8
Dromedary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Hermann View Post
What lens are you talking about? The lenses in my pics are my Canon Lenses that I already own. I would never purchase a $2000 canon lens for the Nex camera!! That is just insane to me.

For future purposes, you are absolutely correct about just buying older manual focus Prime lenses which I plan on doing eventually. For now I'm just using what I got in hand

Best,
Jay
I was talking about the Minolta 1600mm I saw on your site. Crazy huge jug of a reflex lens. I mentioned the older FD because I recently saw a panasonic lumix mounted to the back of an FD 800 5.6 on a Gimbal head. Crazy. Of course I don't know anything about the old Olympus and Minolta stuff that is out there, but I've heard of a lot of people retrofitting the lenses to these new EVIL cameras.
Old 01-17-2012   #9
Dromedary

Just saw this on CR and it reminded me of this thread...
Conurus - Canon EF lens to Sony NEX Smart Adapter
Quote:
From Conurus
This is the world’s first adapter that would give Canon lens owners electronic contact with Nex cameras (such as changing aperture using the camera itself).
Old 01-18-2012   #10
Camel Breath

Yeah I saw that the other day on sonyalpharumors

SonyAlphaLab.com
Now On Google+

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Sony »

Share this topic:

Tags
nex-7, sony nex-7, sonyalphalab