PhotoCamel Down
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Miscellany > Site-Related Announcements

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2015   #1
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default PhotoCamel Down

As all the "regulars" know, PhotoCamel experienced some technical issues that caused the site to be "non-existent" and unavailable for a few days. During this time it was being redirected to a site that was for lack of a better term, a "spammy" site, telling you your browser was out of date, or you won the lottery, or FaceBook wanted to give you $100, and so on.

At no time was any data accessed, borrowed, or stolen, so no worries on that side.

It took awhile to figure out what the issue was, make sure that other data was still secure, fix and correct the issue that caused the problem, and then wait while all the servers in the world replenished themselves on the fact that we are here now, so show us the login page again.

We do not like the fact that we were down for a few days, and don't like it for all our PhotoCamel members and friends. This techie stuff happens, and it isn't an excuse, but much bigger sites with much bigger budgets than ours have experienced the same outage issues. We did the best we could to get back online and give you all the friendly community you have enjoyed for as long as you have been a member, which is over 10 years for a lot of us. Thank you and hope we do not experience another issue and hope you understand and get back to posting and visiting here.

Olympus Passion Magazine
Idiot Savant AND trouble-maker...

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015   #2
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 487620
Editing OK?: No
Default Re: PhotoCamel Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pickles View Post
As all the "regulars" know, PhotoCamel experienced some technical issues that caused the site to be "non-existent" and unavailable for a few days. During this time it was being redirected to a site that was for lack of a better term, a "spammy" site, telling you your browser was out of date, or you won the lottery, or FaceBook wanted to give you $100, and so on.

At no time was any data accessed, borrowed, or stolen, so no worries on that side.

It took awhile to figure out what the issue was, make sure that other data was still secure, fix and correct the issue that caused the problem, and then wait while all the servers in the world replenished themselves on the fact that we are here now, so show us the login page again.

We do not like the fact that we were down for a few days, and don't like it for all our PhotoCamel members and friends. This techie stuff happens, and it isn't an excuse, but much bigger sites with much bigger budgets than ours have experienced the same outage issues. We did the best we could to get back online and give you all the friendly community you have enjoyed for as long as you have been a member, which is over 10 years for a lot of us. Thank you and hope we do not experience another issue and hope you understand and get back to posting and visiting here.
Thanks for the information. As a precaution I did change my password.
Old 05-14-2015   #3
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 44269403
Editing OK?: Yes

Thanks Craig for explaining the situation. Everything appear to be normal again.
Old 05-14-2015   #4
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994
Editing OK?: Ask First

I did notice an oddity. PhotoCamel works fine on my PC. The oddity is my iPad, using wifi does not load PhotoCamel. I had to go in and change the iPads network DNS values. Then it worked fine like it should.

Not sure you're reading this and have that issue, but hey, in Settings - WiFi - click the I icon beside the wifi name (for Information), and change the DNS to:
8.8.8.8 , 8.8.4.4
Which are Googles DNS entries. After a week or so, you could change back to whatever they were.

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015   #5
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 5883836

Actually I'm still having problems, from my iPad everything works fine but on my windows pc it still redirects to that site. I've run several security and virus scans and it's not finding anything. I'm poking around to see what I can find but so far no luck.
palters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015   #6
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 2713528

Thanks for getting it up again. I was getting all sorts of strange re-directs including warnings of phishing attacks. I think my system security is strong enough to stop it.
Ben Egbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015   #7
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 43713362

Quote:
Originally Posted by palters View Post
Actually I'm still having problems, from my iPad everything works fine but on my windows pc it still redirects to that site. I've run several security and virus scans and it's not finding anything. I'm poking around to see what I can find but so far no luck.
Delete your browsing history and delete all your cookies. Then try again.

How to delete cookies and browsing history in Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Firefox and Safari - PC Advisor

Martin
Martin

Once photography enters your bloodstream, it is like a disease.

Software: Too numerous to list but my most used utility is ShiftN for perspective correction

Gear: Canon G12, no tripod, no lenses, no flash, no remote, no cases or bags!

Stiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015   #8
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 5883836

I deleted history, cookies and cashe but didn't solve the issue. But after I just now went in and change the DNS to the 8,8,8,8 and 8,8,4,4 it appears to be working correctly.

I really missed the camel during the down time and to help I'm going to join the supporter ranks.
palters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015   #9
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 683702

Ran a routine restore [Windows 8.0]
and no other detective work needed.

Try that if other methods don't help.

`
Golem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015   #10
Llama

CamelKarma: 6146683

I was really jonesing for a Camel fix, but I'm felling much better now.

When I still couldn't get on, I used a free program called DNS Jumper to select a different DNS, and that solved the problem.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Miscellany > Site-Related Announcements »

Share this topic: